Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bmartins

Burnt 1066 black stripe

13 posts in this topic

I thought you guys would like to see some pics of my 1066. We had a fire in 2009 and dads 1066 happened to be outside the building but still caught fire. As you can see from the pics it was pretty bad and he wanted to just let it go. I bought it back from the insurance company, I couldn't let it go. Im sure you guys know what Im talking about. :) Dad bought this late 76, I think. He bought it at the IH dealer over in Prairie Du Chien, WI. It had fenders on it when he bought it, so he had them put the hiniker cab on it. I think it was an early black stripe. It still had the serial tag up above, but has the one piece drawbar and the updated 3pt arms.

Hope the link works.

http://s1131.photobucket.com/albums/m554/blanemartins/

And you brought it back to life. You took on quite the task to save it! Good job!

It's come along way since the fire!!

GIVE YOURSELF A PAT ON THE BACK. GIT-ER-DONE

very good job!!! i know it wouldve gone awful hard for me to let it go too. you have something to be very proud of there

Lucky Ole 1066. Most would had died at that point. Kudos on a good job on a nasty project! Did you have to go into the engine at all?

I didnt have to do anything to the motor due to the fire, yet! The only thing I did have to do was replace the valve cover, it got hot enough to warp some. The fuel pump had to be rebuilt, there was some plastic internal parts that started to melt. I did put new lines and injectors on it, I dont think I needed to but I did it anyway while I had it tore apart. I also had a new head gasket put in while it was apart, that was leaking some before the fire. The motor has never been touched otherwise. It had around 6000 hours on it when it burnt up. I suppose some things will probably continue to pop up as I run it. I think I have 25 hours on it since I got it running again. It used to be our biggest tractor but now it only runs the auger in the fall, and gives rides to the kids!

Back in 84 i think it was my dad had a fire also lightning hit the machine shed and shop . I was working for a const. co at the time and i was foreman for them at the time . I was unloading ships in buffington harbor in. that's where Trumps boat is currently . Anyway i saw the storm coming across lake michigan heading se. so i called our office and told them about it so they could get the blacktop crew stopped , [ they were paveing I-94 at the time , and i asked them to call my dad cause bhe was getting ready to plant at the furthest field from his house .] The storm was bad cause we had to stop unloading cause the lake got so rough that we were afraid of the ship hitting the booms on the cranes that we were using for unloading . But i got home that evening and my wife said had i come by dads on the way home , and i said no what happened and she said lightning hit the shop and burnt it down along with the machine shed . We lost everthing in the shop , in the mach. shed we lost 3 grain trucks. 1 had a load of corn on it , 2 loads of straw some antigue farm mach. and out of pure luck i used the scoop trac. the day before and left it in 2nd gear when i parked it , it had a habit of running backwards when you shut it off [ 606 utl. gas ] anyway the fire got hot enough it melted the wiring together and it started itself and out of the shed and the fire dept. put it out and got the battery cables off to stop it . Other than that all the other tract. were out in the field and we saved the scoup trac. still running today .

Nicely done sir! Thats one daunting task bringing a tractor back after a fire! Seems like once those family tractors leave the family they are tough to get back.....still tryin to find my great grandpas C.