Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Farmall504#20

Whats the worst IH tractor ever built ? In your opinion

I too agree with the reliability idea. I've known guys who could tear up and anvil with a rubber mallet who can break a tractor quik too. One had a new clutch put in a 1586 and burned it up in about 3 months blowing snow. Said the tractor went too fast so he rode the clutch to make the tractor go slower. When as why he didn't take a smaller cut he said something about it will handle a 9 foot blower just fine if it went slower. Yet I know several people with 1586s who just love em.

Rick

i disagree on the H being one of the worst if i had to chose a letter series id say a C way before a H the C only had the little c-113 engine which had low power for the size tractor it was. even the super c wasn't a power house that's why my super c i put a uc-135 in it.

I beg to differ,

My grandpap had two tractors on the farm from the 50s to the 70s, the super c and an H, the super c would out work the H and eventually replaced it completely. The super c would even keep up with the neighbors oliver 88 back in the 50s when working ground (The C had smaller implements however) but we still have the Super C and the H is in the bonepile. And for a little tractor the Super C has some power.

i disagree on the H being one of the worst if i had to chose a letter series id say a C way before a H the C only had the little c-113 engine which had low power for the size tractor it was. even the super c wasn't a power house that's why my super c i put a uc-135 in it.

I beg to differ,

My grandpap had two tractors on the farm from the 50s to the 70s, the super c and an H, the super c would out work the H and eventually replaced it completely. The super c would even keep up with the neighbors oliver 88 back in the 50s when working ground (The C had smaller implements however) but we still have the Super C and the H is in the bonepile. And for a little tractor the Super C has some power.

The Super C's were a big hit in 51 when the came out. A perfect little tractor to operate.

Not the worst tractor by a long ways but maybe the most outdated on day one was the 650.My farther traded the WD9 on a new one in 57.It might had a little more power but the taller tires took care of that. I was proud of it at first but after running some other colors for uncles I had to admit to myself it was ok on the drawbar but the Case 900,Oliver GM and Jd 830's did more in a day. Not that bad on a farmhand but realy lacking on pto work and road hauling . If you were happy with the power it still needed live pto and some hauling gears.The 650 was a 40's tractor.Now if the 806 had came out in the mid 50's!!!!

My first thought was there isn't a bad one.

But, my vote for the worst designed tractor would be the 460D.

They were a glorified H with a TA or 350 rear end.

It should not have been used for a plow tractor or any heavy pulling.

We put too many bull gears in ours.

The seasonal disconnect on the PTO exploded.

The engine was scoring pistons because the sleeves, with the head off, would go up and down with the pistons.

The sleeves were not fit tight to the block to allow for proper heat transfer.

It was just to light a rear end for the diesel engine.

Dad should have bought the 560D rather than the 460D.

Today I would not be afraid of a 460 to use as it probably would not see the plow or other real heavy pulling.

The 560's, with the M/450 rear end was almost indestructable.

All gave some issues, and some were realy abused, but they all were made to work.

Worst IH?

None!

Some I would bring home above others though.

Late 460 just like the late 560 were OK tractors. I had one of each many years ago. The early 460 and 560 were terrible tractors. Both had engine and rear end problems. Shows what a lack of testing does. JD should review the lessons IH learned in sorting out the transmission fix for their new combines. Similarly for some of their 4wd tractors (9120) engines and 9570 combine engines.

HMMMMMMMM,didn't know IH made any bad tractors.

HMMMMMMMM,didn't know IH made any bad tractors.

I know ;)

im saying the cold blooded b250s and that line just because it could be 100*f and you could be workin it all after noon and shut it off for 20 mins and have to hit the glow plugs to get it to start

im saying the cold blooded b250s and that line just because it could be 100*f and you could be workin it all after noon and shut it off for 20 mins and have to hit the glow plugs to get it to start

Ive also heard that about the 504 diesels .... <_<

What got me to subscribe to RPM, was the articles that described the failures that IH had, unlike the JD magazines (Two-Cylinder and Green Magazine), which NEVER admitted to JD fk ups.

Worst one we ever owned was a 606. Worst starting tractor, and running tractor we ever saw

Worst one we ever owned was a 606. Worst starting tractor, and running tractor we ever saw

Mine runs fine. But they were sort of a" fill in the gap until we come up with something" tractor. I like it but its a total klutz compared to the 684.

We went from the 606 to the 674. Worlds different

Mine runs fine. But they were sort of a" fill in the gap until we come up with something" tractor. I like it but its a total klutz compared to the 684.

I think the 504 was a fill in the gap tractor

This has been an interesting read. I got a few hours on a S-C, H, M, 560D, 706D, 756D, 806D, 826&56, 1066, 1206 and1586. I can say that the H and M were by far the worst to operate. All when used correctly were reliable. All of them had quirks. I've also got some seat time on AC, CA and 190XT, JD B, R, 3020D, 4020D and 4440, Case 970 Ford 8N. Of all of them the Case 970 was the nicest to run. The worst were the AC 190XT, JD R and the M. The "power devider" for live PTO on the AC 190XT was a joke plus the tranny left a lot to be desired. The M is just too heavy of a tractor to not have PS. Same thing with the JD R. If I had to pick between the R and the M I'd take the R. Live PTO and hydraulics plus fuel consumption being the deciding factors.

My BIL and his dad farmed close to 700 tillable acres with a couple of 560Ds and loved em back in the day when farmers worked from before sunrise till long after sunset. Then in the space of several years got a new 826, used 970 Case and 1066. They messed up the power shift in the 970 (operator error) a couple of times and got rid of it. The 826 and 1066 are still on the farm and used along with an AC 8070 (they hate it) and a CaseIH 2594 that they got to replace a well worn 1586. They just got it this winter so it's not tried and true.

BIL's dad passed years ago now but he and my nephew are farming the place still. Ask my BIL this question he will tell you that the 560D's, 826, 1066 and 1586 were great tractors and that the 1566 was junk.

So it all boils down to perspective. Guys like me that are users and only own working tractors may hate a certain one because in todays world with available implements a certain tractor isn't worth much. Others who are collectors would love the ones I hate. The M is a great example. Today as a worker it's a hay wagon puller, poo spreader puller because it lacks good hydraulics and power steering. Yet collectors love em. IMO give it a 3 point, at least one remote and PS and it would be an OK tractor, even better if it had live PTO! I don't really care for it's looks but it would be a decent tractor.

So it's kinda an each to his own on worst/best. Would be a valid question if IH failing had something to do with bad tractors. The 560 tranny issues were long taken care of so that did not lead to IH's money troubles/failure.

Rick

I would suggest you take a tractor such as a Farmall 656 and look at how many of them have been parted out already and compare that percentage to the gear drive transmission models. Rarely do you find a parted out gear drive in a wrecking yard. On the other hand I have gotten many parts from parted out hydro tractors. I am not suggesting they aren't good if you use them for what they are intended to do. What I am suggesting is that a much higher percentage of them are being parted out when the owner is faced with a $5000 hydro repair job. I have often driven a friends old Hydro 70 and am familiar with it's capability as a loader tractor. However, don't put it in the hands of itenerant hired help and expect it to last a long time. My experience tells me you have to perform regular hydro maintenance like changing the Hy Tran and filters to ensure you get decent hydro life.

1st let me say that i respect your opinion on the hydros

hoping that you'll respect mine

dad bought an 826 hydro new first year they came out

traded in his 560d(personally i thought this was a mistake as i liked that tractor too)

when he bought he also got a #55 mounted chisel plow,11ft wide with 11 shanks...

he also bought a 720 5x16 for it

ran it for 2 yrs and could not get it to quit useing oil

head mechanic told him to let me run it for 2 days and see what happens

dad version was pto speed @ 4mph

my idea,open her up wide open,must admit i was somewhat scared to do that,

but i did,also ran as fast as i could 4.5- 5 mph,

2 days later oil consuption was 0

many would operate it like a gear drive,even tho' it wasn't

set rpm than adjust your ground speed so you're pulling the motor down

1-200 rpm,14yrs later at our farm sell motor had been gone through once

tranny had never been touch except for filter and oil change

it was our workhorse for about 3-4 yrs,the longer we had it

the more we enjoyed it

quote from my father "if i ever am dumb enuf to get rid of that tractor

i hope i'm smart enuf to get another hydro"

thats how much we liked it

as if i remember correctly she would turn about

I think the 504 was a fill in the gap tractor

The 404 and 504 were available as row crops and utilities, the 606 was only a utility and really just a slightly modified 460U. the 706 and 806 were all new. Seemed like they just needed something untill the 656 was ready.

86 series would of been really great if they could of had just a little better shifting every thing else was good nice cab forward sitting. though still are pretty nice yet,

Like em all, as long as their red, but, my least favorite would be dad's 884. With that short wheelbase you can back a 4 wheeled wagon anywhere, because of that it also rides rough, seat sucks, plastic dash board comes apart, hard to get on and off (although it's better than his 464), won't start when cold without plugging in, and lucas wiring is sub-standard. Basically typical utility tractor. Just my opinion.

A personal observation always makes for interesting reading about a product but is not much of an indicator of overall product functionality and reliability.

What I would like to see is sales figures and the real product failure history based on warrantee claims on the product.

A company like IHC must have maintained an archive of warrantee claims, someplace someone has had access to that data.

I think the British imports with German designed engines were good machines but my experience is 1 machine and lots of reading about the line, hardly a knowledge base worthy of model usefulness opinion.

I am going to say the 86 series are by far the worst that IH ever made just because of now far behind the competition they were!