Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Farmall504#20

Whats the worst IH tractor ever built ? In your opinion

For us it would be IH 885xl (not a case IH) this is a tractor that should not have ben made or sold enough said!

MD7140

I’m going to put out a philosophical answer to this question of the WORST IH tractor ever made:

The last one - the 5488 of May 1985, because that tractor marked the end of IH as we knew it to be……food for thought……..

I'll second the above .

I own a "no good" 560 diesel & 656 hydro :wub: .

I don't agree with the BAD hydro comments either,we had a 1066 hydro that was the main tillage tractor for couple years before a 4100 came along,that same 10 pulled 24' of 620 drills for years & ran a 914 combine in the fall.It was harder on fuel with drills,but we never had tranny trouble,changed hydro filter regular.I worked at a CaseIH dealer for 6.5 years and only saw 1 hydro apart,a 186 with 8-9000 HARD hours and there were lots of hydro's in the area.As far as baling,combine or loader work,they were hard to beat.I guess if you have the right operator,they can find the weak link in any machine.

I have been following this thread and I am begining to think that I must not be the IH enthusiast that I thought I was! :ph34r: I own or have run many of the "worst" tractors mentioned and I have to say I don't see them the same way many of you do. Over the years I have owned or run other brands and I made the switch to IH because they seem to be the toughest, most reliable, relatively inexpensive( both to buy and maintain ) tractor out there. I own 12 IH tractors, from a 1942 H to a 1981 Hydro 186 and I like and use everyone of them. IH may have built some "duds" but I guess I must just be fortunate- I don't own any!!! :D

IH 706 Gas, gas guzzling, point burning, cold blooded poppin' and sputterin' piece of sh-t!

my vote!

I could fix everything but the gas guzzling part.

Provided the engine is in otherwise good condition.

IH 706 Gas, gas guzzling, point burning, cold blooded poppin' and sputterin' piece of sh-t!

my vote!

This is just my point- I own a 706 gas and it pulls a 10' Tye no-till drill all spring then a CIH 531 baler all summer and it's one of my favorite tractors. It might be because I'm not working it very hard, but I never thought of it as being hard on fuel. My dad always said that if you use them they all use fuel. Plus, I just enjoy running the old IH's so maybe I am just blind to the truth. :P

my vote!

This is just my point- I own a 706 gas and it pulls a 10' Tye no-till drill all spring then a CIH 531 baler all summer and it's one of my favorite tractors. It might be because I'm not working it very hard, but I never thought of it as being hard on fuel. My dad always said that if you use them they all use fuel. Plus, I just enjoy running the old IH's so maybe I am just blind to the truth. :P

I've got a 706 263 gas engine and it doesn't lug like a diesel can. Just saying I look back and wish I had found one withe the German diesel.

I would say runner ups would be either the 68 seires,or articulated tractors. 68s should have had factory installed 30 pound either canisters. the articulated, because of all the crap that rubs when you turn. The #1 worst one to me...I will have to agree with it being the last IH that was made. It was like loosing a best friend. No I take that back, it WAS loosing my best friend! The worst engine would be the DV800

560 diesel. will not start without glow plugs no matter how warm it is. If they were pulled hard the rear ends went out and it had a TA.

I will have to argue with you on that. My Grand DAD HAD several 560 Diesels and they were about the best tractor. I bought two of them from him when he quit farming and they made me the most money of any tractor I owned. The late model one I sold several years ago with 17,000 hours and except for one Hyd. pump the tractor was never worked on except cleaning the brakes and general service. The guy that has it still has not done anything to it. The older one I had to overhaul the motor at 12000 hour and replace the hyd pump. Never had trouble with the rear ends or TA. 99.9% of the trouble with the TA's were people that did not know how to use them. All three were pulled hard their whole lives. I was a young kid and if the tractor would pull something in 2nd gear I used 3rd gear. just turn the pump up?? correct???

One of other 560 spent all summer pumping water It ran cheaper than any motor made. In this area there is still a lot of 560's running irragation wells. That should say something.

A minute holding the glow plug and they would start in about any condition. I had an 806 that would not start when the 560's would. So does that made the 806 a bad tractor??

The 560's 806's 856's and 1066's were about the best tractors IH made

Either the H or the 560, but IH's worst tractors are better than John Deere's best tractors!

I would second the H, they should have skipped right from the C to the M and then maybe had something bigger or nothing at all. In my mind there is not much and H will do that a C won't that an M wouldn't be a better choice anyways.

i disagree on the H being one of the worst if i had to chose a letter series id say a C way before a H the C only had the little c-113 engine which had low power for the size tractor it was. even the super c wasn't a power house that's why my super c i put a uc-135 in it.

i disagree on the H being one of the worst if i had to chose a letter series id say a C way before a H the C only had the little c-113 engine which had low power for the size tractor it was. even the super c wasn't a power house that's why my super c i put a uc-135 in it.

The Farmall H,M,Cub probably the best that IH made in the late 40's and 50's. The Farmall C was the Best 2 row cultivating tractor they had at the time. Now the 240 Id say maybe was a bad tractor due to its low sales and Bad lift. I dont think you could find a bad letter series tractor.

They never built one I didn't like :P . Never had a bad 560 or a D282 leave me PO'd like some have so I must be living right .

They never built one I didn't like :P . Never had a bad 560 or a D282 leave me PO'd like some have so I must be living right .

haha True :D

The Farmall H,M,Cub probably the best that IH made in the late 40's and 50's. The Farmall C was the Best 2 row cultivating tractor they had at the time. Now the 240 Id say maybe was a bad tractor due to its low sales and Bad lift. I dont think you could find a bad letter series tractor.

i agree with you on that all the letter series are good that was just if i had to chose

i agree with you on that all the letter series are good that was just if i had to chose

Gotta agree that there is NO bad letter series tractor. The fact with the H is they made more of them than then they did of the other letter series models.

My vote would be for the motor cultivator. While it may not really be a tractor and there weren't many, what were they thinking putting the engine on top of the back wheel like that and then turning the whole thing together engine and all. That thing would be an instant disaster on our farm's hills. Don't get me wrong it did lead into the basic design of our Farmall's when they turned the motor around and put it in the frame rails but before that it was a joke.

The last IH ever made was the worst! Good machine but bad day!

My most important criteria for judging the best and worst was reliability and being able to stay out of the dealer's repair bays. Sure, there are many other criteria like good looks , pull power, ease of handling, easy to get on and off, etc. Most people's experience in judging comes from a very limited number of tractors- often it is the one they own. My experience is even with the most successful models there is always a few quality control lemons and that will influence their view even though there are many thousands of the same model performing with distinction. Case in point - I once had a very reliable late model Farmall 560 diesel. The only problem with it was that it was a pig to get on and off. Another tractor I once owned was a very late 5488. Good powerful tractor except the transmission shifted poorly even after many trips to the dealer's shop. Similarly the sentry system was deficient in function. Otherwise a good tractor. But the first generation Magnums were a huge improvement. That is why they are still on this farm even after 20 years. Finally, my 656 gear drive is still on the farm after 35 years of ownership. Has several parts from junked 656 hydro's in it. Yes the old gas engine sputters when it starts unless you know how to choke it right. But it has never been overhauled. Some people really like the 504 Farmall. I had three different gassers and the steering was sloppy in all three of them. These were tractors in the 2000 to 3500 hour run time. Otherwise they were a good little tractor. So I suppose all of them have their good points but some have many more bad points than others. I would have to rate the 856, Magnum,s, 656 and 686 as the best ones i have owned. The Magnums would probably be the best I've owned.

Anybody see a theme here..V-8s are not made for farm tractors.

Yep, and it doesn't seem to matter who builds them either!

Deere 8850 4WD V8 ;)

WAS THAT JD'S OWN ENGINE???????????????????

Worst we had was a 806 gas, if you ran it hard plowing, you would soon be doing a head job.

I personally was not impressed until the Stage II Supers...............Stage I's are ok, but a stock letter in any form was a turd. M was bad with a stock powerplant under the hood(No C264 sleeves/pistons), if that is bad, you darn near had to push an H.........Hate to say it, but I'd rather have a late Cyclone A or B over an H or M if everything was stock. Yes, the gassers after the 450 stunk, although I must say the C-200 in the 544 seemed pretty decent...........But the only series I prefer to forget is the '86's............Never understood it, at the very least they could have went with the setup 3*88's had IN the cabs.

Farmall Tom you are doing a good job of defending the 60 series tractors. As a proud owner of a 460 diesel and a Hydro 86 I recognize their advantages and limitations.

Your pictures of your 1026 are great. I am acquainted with the former owner and know that he really liked that tractor. He used to tell me stories about chopping silage. He's a great guy. His farm is just a few miles from me and I go by his place quite often because I do some custom farming for one his neighbors.

For worst IH tractors my picks would be the V-8's, 2+2's, 4xxx 4WD's and any 6 cyl. gas tractors. Esp. the 706-806 gas tractors. JMHO

From a personal stand point the worst were the 66 & 86 series followed by a 656 gear drive. Seems like the two 1066s, the 1086, & the 1486 I owned were always in the shop having a TA put in or the drive train worked on. The 10s were bought new, had to buy the 86s used because I had put so much $$ into the 10s I couldn't afford new. The 656 was a joke when it came to field work. The 450 would out pull it any day of the week. Also seemed the tranny was getting stuck between gears. This tractor was also bought new. Ask my wife which tractor she hated to most & she will say the 656.