Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Farmall504#20

Whats the worst IH tractor ever built ? In your opinion

Now let me say first Im A diehard Farmall and IH Fan. I BLEED IH RED So this is just a conversation piece. I know IH had its share of big successes and its share of Big flops but what in your opinion is the worst or biggest failure of a tractor that IH ever made.

Have yet to meet one yet that I didnt like, but seems to me the general consensus is the 4x66 series 4wd.

560 diesel. will not start without glow plugs no matter how warm it is. If they were pulled hard the rear ends went out and it had a TA.

560 diesel. will not start without glow plugs no matter how warm it is. If they were pulled hard the rear ends went out and it had a TA.

I am not looking to start an argument but I would have to say that this is a gross mischaracterization on both accounts.

I have a 560 that I really like and it does not start hard, nor will the rear end go out if it is pulled hard.

As most know, the early 560's had some rear end issues that IH had to rectify through a recall but that hardly condemns them as the worst tractor IH ever built.

-FT

My 1066 MUST be one of the worst tractors IH built. All of the other pullers around here keep saying how "BAD" it is!!

Hmmm...an interesting topic, it's quite often debated about the best, but the worst....

I'm going to ruffle feathers, but the 14 & 1568's were a disaster. They were/are, however a sharp looking tractor, but really what was the point? A real "pig" of an engine....why in your right mind, would you want a DV-550 over a DT-436??

They are a true show tractor, but that's about it.

I am not looking to start an argument but I would have to say that this is a gross mischaracterization on both accounts.

I have a 560 that I really like and it does not start hard, nor will the rear end go out if it is pulled hard.

As most know, the early 560's had some rear end issues that IH had to rectify through a recall but that hardly condemns them as the worst tractor IH ever built.

-FT

A properly maintained d282 in a 560 or 660 is one hard working hard pulling machine! Keep all the glow plugs workin good and they start well too. By the way what is up with all the negetive t/a comments on here lately? If misused ya they can go out a lot but if properly used and maintained they were an awesome addition to IH's lineup! Again as said in other posts here....the t/a shifts smoother than any powershift i've ever driven! As for IH's worst tractor I'm gonna go with 4x66's.

It amazes me that people complain you have to use glow plugs to start a 282. Well, it is a pre-cup engine. All pre-cup engines use a starting aid and normally a glow plug. The gas start diesels were a precup engine also. They were designed so you could get them running with a crank if you were out in the middle of the boon docks. I would hate to try it but did have a customer that started his M Diesel with a crank. People confuse an energy cell engine which does not use and cannot use a glow plug, and they are not good starters in cool weather but will start without an aid in warm temps. Then you have a direct injection engine or open chamber like many call them and they are normally good starters without any aid until cold weather. You cannot make an engine the size of a 282 , with their light block, crankshafts etc and have it be a direct injection engine. By size I mean physical size, not displacement. Different co's decide to go with what they have available at the time and that is the way it goes down. You have to choose what you are comfortable with when you buy a piece of equipment. If you don't like something, don't buy it.

LOTS OF 460 / 560 / 666 / 686 HAD REAREND PROBLEMS.

1566 and 1586..? thats only because their 3 speeds and when turned up and blew the rears. but that was preventable.

i dunno. my father seems to hate the 84 series..

i dont think IH had too many failures overall. compared to other makes.

i agree about a 282 being not so bad. it was 18 above the other day i held the button down for a minute and got the tractor running to grind feed. no block heater either and a 600 amp tsc battery in it. my brother grinds a load every day with our 1150 grinder mixer and he said he put ten gallons of fuel in it after 12 days of grinding and unloading. we bought the tractor used and have put a lot of hours on it the rearend never gives any problems and the motor just keeps going and going.

I know I will get shot BUT I had considered the 560 and 660 to win this competition as soon as I saw the title to the thread. To me they seemed to fall through the cracks between the old wD9 -600-650 and the fabulous 06-66-86 tractors and that is not saying the 88 are not great .I cut my teeth on a wd9.

I know I will get shot BUT I had considered the 560 and 660 to win this competition as soon as I saw the title to the thread. To me they seemed to fall through the cracks between the old wD9 -600-650 and the fabulous 06-66-86 tractors and that is not saying the 88 are not great .I cut my teeth on a wd9.

My first thought was there isn't a bad one.

Only shortcoming i've seen with the 660 so far is having to keep the glow plugs in tip top shape to make it start well. Ya the early 560's had rearend issues which were fixed. The 660 so far has had a bulletproof rear end with those planetaries in it. Ours came from out west too so you can bet it saw a lot of hard hours. Like has been said everybody had their grenade tractors like the 4010 deere tractors with rear-end issues.

They are ALL the worst ones.TO THE JD boys!!!! (HAD to be said.) They might have OUTSOLD us since the 60s ,but they will NEVER OUTPULL US!!!!! Testify all you IH brothers!!!!!

I never really cared for the 444 diesel we had. The seat would slide you forward and if you hit an obstruction while plowing the gearshift would have you singing soprano for a while. It was the most Garboon proof tractors we ever had. The hired help couldn't tear it up. Worked hard with a 1501 loader. Eason

1566 and 1586..? thats only because their 3 speeds and when turned up and blew the rears. but that was preventable.

I don't know if they were THE worst... but they surely have to make it in to the running here... Not a well thought out tractor(s).

-FT

Going to go with the 1468 and 1568, underpowered dogs. Sharp looking show tractors but thats it. Couldnt hold a candle to their 6 cylinder brothers. Anybody in this area that had one traded it off in short time, probably wish they had them now.

Going to disagree with the IH 4wds, the 4366 and 4386 were good tractors and alot of them still earning their keep, with the original DTI466 unlike the green competition of the period the 30 and 40 series where it is tough to find one that doesnt have a new 50 series motor in it. Now the V-8 4568, 4586 and 4786..now thats a different story..

Anybody see a theme here..V-8s are not made for farm tractors.

Have yet to meet one yet that I didnt like, but seems to me the general consensus is the 4x66 series 4wd.

I don't know much about the giant 4WD tractors, though I have read that the the original 4100 and 4156 were considered big clumsy brutes compared to the later models.

They were like a "Payloader gone farming" and were not suited to row-crop work like the later articulated chassis models.

I know that the 4156 was a slow seller for IH

I would have assumed that the 4166 and 4186 would have been improvements on the earlier models.

Regards from Michael H

P.S.What was the gripes about the 4366 and 4568?

I have never personally used one but my dad rented one of the V8 tractors (can't remember which model) and said he didn't really care for. He used it to cut silage and didn't like it because he had to keep it revved right up to keep it in the power because it had no torque compared to the six cylinders. He rented it because our 806, which he really liked, was down at the time.

560 without a doubt, not really the tractor just the dumb 263 engine, it is gutless. If you farm flat ground then it is probably fine.

I don't know much about the giant 4WD tractors, though I have read that the the original 4100 and 4156 were considered big clumsy brutes compared to the later models.

They were like a "Payloader gone farming" and were not suited to row-crop work like the later articulated chassis models.

I know that the 4156 was a slow seller for IH

I would have assumed that the 4166 and 4186 would have been improvements on the earlier models.

Regards from Michael H

P.S.What was the gripes about the 4366 and 4568?

Yes the 41** would fit in the poor category, no real improvements in the 66 and 86, same rough riding, awkward piece of crap.

the gripes on the 45** and 4786 were the V-8, DV 800 motors, they were not known for their longevity. Had good power when they were running but most didnt last long and VERY expensive to rebuild.

the 4366 and 4386 had the DTI 466 in them and were good tractors, crude and loud by todays standards but were as good as most in the 70's.

I agree with Steiger, the V8/68 series tractors, IH shouldve been working on a powershift transmission and a cab that wouldve been user friendly instead of a pretty tough looker, to me they were a disaster from the get go

656 diesel hydro, always blowing hydro oil lines, no power, and was hot to ride on in the summer. but it was nice and warm in the winter!

great for loader work, but that was it.