Photo

The latest: IH 468 Seedbed conditioner

In 1/16 scale

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#11 international3088MFD

international3088MFD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:03 PM

neat! we have the real thing, with the exception that ours has the rolling baskets instead of the leveling board. isn't used much with the bigger equipment and bigger fields we have now. but gets used every year and makes a sweet seedbed. if only it was 27 feet wide.. :rolleyes: anyways, nice model!

WEGMAN FARMS: 325 acres of corn, beans, oats and alfalfa crop rotation.
80 cow Holstein milking operation.

Tractors on the Farm: Case IH MX Magnum 200, MX Magnum 180, McCormick MTX 135, Case IH MX 110, IH 686 D312 diesel, Farmall DX55, Farmall Super M, stage II, Case 650 dozer. Case IH 2144 combine. Run Red

My Tractors: 1972 IH 1066, 1957 Farmall 350, 1950 Farmall H, Cub Cadet 100, Cub Cadet 682. Cub Cadet 149, 1951 Massey Harris 44, 350 V-8 conversion tractor.

SEARCHING FOR: International 966 Diesel. Serial number: 29192
Gone but not forgotten: International 3088 open station w/ Elwood MFD

#12 Tripp

Tripp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:41 PM

Thanks gents!

One aspect of building these toys that is going to change what can be made is the decision by the major brass supply companies to stop building "I" beams, channel beams and angles, a few months back. You can now only by tubes, rectangles, and squares. I'll never make another one like this again, as it uses a lot of angles, for instance. Of course, this happens when I'm well underway in building this: typical!!

I bought out everything the 2 local hobby shops havd left and that's it. I'm going to have to look at a metal hand brake (smaller hobby-type version), but I'm not sure if that tool will be able to bend brass sheet to the small angles I need. We'll see!

#13 Harold H

Harold H

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:49 AM

That is a great job. Your workmanship is much much better than mine, I am just about finished with my first ever scratch building model which is a 1/16 one row cotton picker mostly brass and aluminum. It is definitely ROUGH compared to yours.

Harold H

#14 Mitchissippi

Mitchissippi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:54 PM

Thanks gents!

One aspect of building these toys that is going to change what can be made is the decision by the major brass supply companies to stop building "I" beams, channel beams and angles, a few months back. You can now only by tubes, rectangles, and squares. I'll never make another one like this again, as it uses a lot of angles, for instance. Of course, this happens when I'm well underway in building this: typical!!

I bought out everything the 2 local hobby shops havd left and that's it. I'm going to have to look at a metal hand brake (smaller hobby-type version), but I'm not sure if that tool will be able to bend brass sheet to the small angles I need. We'll see!

That seems to be a problem all the builders I visit with are having. What's happening? Money short? Raw material up? . . . scarce?

Mitch

#15 Mitchissippi

Mitchissippi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:56 PM

It is definitely ROUGH compared to yours.

Ahight Mista Harold . . . . prove it. We NEED PICKER PICS!!!!!!!!!!

Mitch

#16 Harold H

Harold H

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:58 PM

Mitch,

I plan on bringing it to Starkville, if all of y'all promise not to laugh too hard.

Harold H

#17 Mitchissippi

Mitchissippi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:30 PM

Mitch,

I plan on bringing it to Starkville, if all of y'all promise not to laugh too hard.

Harold H

I'm not promicing anything these days Harold. LOL!!!!!!! We WILL be laughing at something I'm sure, but it won't be at your picker. We have a really good time. Can't wait to meet you and see the picker.

Mitch

#18 Tripp

Tripp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 05:30 PM

Thanks gents!

That seems to be a problem all the builders I visit with are having. What's happening? Money short? Raw material up? . . . scarce?

Mitch

Hi Mitch - Good questions, I'm thinking "yes" to everything you asked as being the reason. These items have been made for years, now it's stopped. I/m gonna have to be creative in the future!