Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jay563

Farmall 140 with hi/lo transmission

21 posts in this topic

I have a Farmall 140 that i use with a hi/lo transmission, it was a long lever and this sits in torque tube in front of the trans, the torque tube/trans housing is actually different on this than a regular farmall 140.

Does anyone know anything about this, or capacity specifications?

Thanks

Jason

Never found that unit in a 140 parts book but look at 404 tractor parts for dual range or forward and reverse transmission. Think you will see a unit like you have.

The 140 never had a Hi/Low shift

Someone could have added a Hi/low from something else???

Post some pictures and casting numbers so We can all see it.

Ron this is the second unit I have heard of. Supposedlly IH and Chisom-Ryder were trying to work on a low range transmission for some custom applications. It's my understanding that the program was canceled because the application ended up needing more hp than the 140 could muster. Eason

Ok i'll get some pictures of it and post, i bought this a few years ago at farm auction, and there were 3 Farmall 140 hi crops with the 2 speed out of 16 140 hi crops that they sold. All parts are IH too.

Jason

Here are some pictures so you folks see what the high low trans looks like in a Farmall 140 hi crop. This long lever on the side controls it.

Jason

NEAT! It is this type of unique find that keeps me going! :wub:

NEat! There's something different about that torque tube around the starter.....

There's one other unusual thing about this tractor---the rear rockshaft lift rod is not all bent up! B)

Al

I sure would love to have one of those for my 140 Hi Crop as it goes way to fast to cultivate small crops. I have never understood why IH didn't change the transmission ratios so an AV - 140 Hi Clear went the same speed as a standard clearance. Despite being too fast for some jobs, it will do 27 mph on the road!

I used to own a 404 with the high low setup. This setup looks exactly like the 404 setup. Was this a custom build by IH using existing parts or is it a cobbled up tractor?.

Here are some pictures so you folks see what the high low trans looks like in a Farmall 140 hi crop. This long lever on the side controls it.

Jason

What year (serial number) is your 140?

Should have a serial number suffix of "HC" if it is a production F-140 Hi-Clear.

Any other suffix may indicate a special build.

Regards from Michael H.

I'll get back to you all with housing codes, etc when i get a chance to get info from tractor, there were 3 hi lo trans tractors like this at sale, wish i would of bought the others, another farmer got the others and he is stilling using them as well.

I'll get back to you all with housing codes, etc when i get a chance to get info from tractor, there were 3 hi lo trans tractors like this at sale, wish i would of bought the others, another farmer got the others and he is stilling using them as well.

I would be interested in the casting numbers or any other information you can find.

I wonder if this was a special run of tractor for a special application. (some sort of harvester???)

Or was it to replace the hydraulic creeper???

I think you will find a similar box on the tractors that were marketed with chain type trenchers on them. Might even be the same box, i have seen the same arrangement on cubs and on 140's but only about two or three of them in a life time of looking at red stuff. Two different manufactureres names on them if I remember right,

Pretty rare!! You have a unique tractor!

ed

Here is a video of one working with a creaper gear.

The gear boxes made for Cubs were manufactured by Auburn. They bolt between the factory torque tube and transmission lengthing the overall footprint of the tractor. Extension plates are required for the floorpan and extensions for the brake actuating rods. Also, the trencher was supplied power from the added gearbox and not the Cub PTO. The 140 in the video above has a gearbox similar to what you would find on a Cub Trencher. You can see the extension installed on the floorpan.

The setup on the 140 originally discussed is different in that it appears a shortened/modified torque tube was used to keep the wheelbase the same as a normal 140. Its a very nice setup!

I looked over my tractor again.

The serial number is 32085 J HC

The part number on the torque tube is the same as a 404, that is number 375690 R1

Any other questions on it?