Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bradwiersma

How much tractor needed for 7 shank v ripper?

I have never pulled a ripper but spotted this one on an upcoming Auction. 3 pt , 7 shank IHC ripper. Will a 180 hp 2 wd tractor with duals handle this? It looks like it might be to much for that tractor but I thought I would ask. Does anyone have experience with this ripper, is it a good tool? Thanks for any help!

http://www.wiemanauc...roducts_id=9200

I have no personal experience with a v-ripper but a neighbor use to pull a 9 shk V with a IH 4586 4wd & it looked to be all the tractor wanted. My experiences are with in-line rippers. We currently pull a 7 shk in-line with a 425hp 4wd & don't have enough tractor for the tool. Before that pulled a 5shk with a MX 275 & got along good in most places.

Per any tillage tool, soil type & working depth will have a big factor in what your tractor can pull

You will be geared down and spinning all day long while raising and lowering the ripper to keep moving.

Yeah there is no way you can pull that with 180 HP 2 wd tractor at a depth that will do anything. The bad part about those old style "V-RIPPER" is there is no ground clearance when your using it if you have any trash at all they plug constantly, if i was you i would look for a newer style 5 shank with the verticle ripper shanks lot more clearance, pull alot easier, just my two cents from experience.

Hank

I run a 5 shank M&W 12 inches deep with 200 HP at 6 MPH. No cheating just smooth sailing. Other areas require less and more HP depending on your soils. We have a black sandy loam with 8 inches of top soil that compacts very easily. This past year after water standing in spots, I would have had trouble with a 3 shank.

jerry

I have a 4 shank CIH 2500 in line ripper that will stop my 200hp 5488 2wd with 20.8 42 rubber.

We have run a 7 shank DMI ecolo tiger for about 15 years. The first few years we were spinning the tires off our 4wd heavy tillage tractors. After the ground had been gone through a few times now we are able to pull it 6.5mph with a 250 horse row crop track tractor. We could probably get by with a low 200hp tractor. Soil type has a huge effect also.

uncle has that exact same ripper pulls it with 7288 its to much ripper its busted crap up in the 3pt hitch i'd say it would work though if you took the outside 2 shanks off and moved wheels in to the 2nd and 6th shank. but as a 7 you will break stuff or sit and spin. we go around 16" with it in medium 2nd in the 7288 and thats all its got its at 220 hp

Look for something smaller and with colters to cut up trash so it doesn't plug . A inline ripper will pull easer than a v ripper . I don't now what type of soil you have , but we use to farm along the kankakee river in nw. in. and there was every kind of soil you could think of . We have a 7140 magn. with mfwd. fully loaded and pull on the 3 point a 5 shank with coulters dmi. econotill and in light sandy soil could pull 7 shanks but then if you hit a pocket of gumbo or hard clay 5 is to mutch and were only going about 12-14" deep. I have had it pull so hard in some of the gumbo that it has brought the front end off the ground far enough you could walk under the front end and never have to duck.

Will handle it fine...until you drop in in the ground. Would need a 300hp 4wd around here in front of that. Rippers dont do any good unless you have them sunk down in the ground under the hardpan, if you have to keep cheating them up above the hardpan you are just wasting fuel.