Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Farmall504#20

Lowest Serial numberd tractors on the Redpower Forum

108 posts in this topic

There is a man in west Memphis ar. That has several low and high number tractors.I will get a list and post soon. He's got a 3088 os number 0504 , a low number 4186, mfwd hydro 100, the 5th to the last 1066, 2wd 3488 and a low sn 1566 and more.

There is a man in west Memphis ar. That has several low and high number tractors.I will get a list and post soon. He's got a 3088 os number 0504 , a low number 4186, mfwd hydro 100, the 5th to the last 1066, 2wd 3488 and a low sn 1566 and more.

Keepem comming

We have a 53 swd9 that is 581 think they started with 501 it is a ways off from done it is pictured in my profile pic seem to have a soft spot for 9's have 4 that will be runners two I9's and 2 wd9's and 2 for parts

I have a 3488 serial number 511. It is still used to swath and run small baler. The tractor is located in Marriott, Utah

5488 #551. Bought it about 5 yrs ago north of Twin Cities, from a trucker who had picked it up down south. Springfield Reman, 12,000 hrs, I swapped the front axle from round tube to HD square tube, got a Miller loader on front and Loftness snowblower on the back, haven't used either one more than once this winter, but THEY BOTH MOVE ROCKS!!!!! :D :D :D

Blackstripe7: The first production Farmall 656 according to all serial lists i've seen was #8501. Did the two you mention also have an 8 in front of the number. If not they may be preproduction test tractors. I know this definitely happened with the 1206. The subject has been discussed here several times over the years. If the two you speak of are truly 501, and 502 then we have another discovery here. It would be very nice if you could get photographs of the serial number plate and then post them on this forum. Thanks.

George2, I ran in to the fellow today that owns the Farmall 656's, he said that they were stamped 501 & 502. He knows the history of 502 back to the dealership where it was bought new. Some day I'll have to take a look and see for myself if that's all that's on the tags.

We have a Mccormick Super W-6 # 507. paid a grand for it about 6 yrs ago, its a nice original. they must have had extra std grills left, because they filled in the holes for the mccormick wing on the front, and added holes for te IH emblem in the center

Great piece of history!

B)

It looks all true with the "tub" frame etc.

Great to see this tractor, probably the oldest surviving SUPER W-6!

Regards from Michael H.

Not mine but resides 2 miles down the road from me. McCormick Deering WD40 serial # 503. Belongs to Eric Best and was restored to 100% factory original by Wendell Kelch.

Great piece of IHC history! :)

The WD-40 was probably one of IH's most important tractors as it introduced diesel powered farm tractors to the world on a commercial scale.

Wendell Keich is that man who has done a brilliant job restoring some old pre-WW1 IHC tractors too.

I have a 1940 W4 serial 527. I can't find a pic of it.

Possibly the oldest surviving one out there! :)

Should be 27th unit built

Regards from Michael H.

I have a 660 LP, serial number 519.

Hi guys,cool topic,great to hear of some of this neat stuff.

My father owns Super BW6 # 632. British built,Gas,only 275 made.Also know the whereabouts of # 627 along with BT6 crawler # 511.

Dad also owns Australian built Scout 80 # 501 ,first one built,right hand drive,4x4,152 4cyl,built Feb 1962.

post-43339-0-51331200-1338696953_thumb.j

post-43339-0-39642300-1338697069_thumb.j

post-43339-0-58631300-1338697126_thumb.j

We have a B250 with what I think says B22515 on the serial number tag, is that number 515 or 22515 overall? Don't have a book with the year numbers. Believe it is a 1957, although we got it in 1958.

Here is a list of serial numbers for the B-250 farm tractor.

The B-250 Industrial had seperate serial numbering.

The B-250 was built in Britain and mainly sold In Britain and other British Commonwealth countries such as Canada and Australia etc. :)

B-250 1956 #501 to 3955

1957 #3936 to 16026

1958 #16027 to 23467

1959 #23468 to 26897

1960 #26898 to 29063

1961 #29064 to 30260

Regards from Michael H.

Blackstripe7:

It would be appreciated if you could get pictures of the serial number tags on these two Farmall 656 tractors, If they really are 501 and 502 they are preproduction test tractors just like the 1206 discussed a while back on this forum. There was an article way back in Red Power Magazine about the test

program for these tractors in 1964.

My brother and I have #501 806. My father passed 5 years ago and left us a pole barn full of beauties. We also have #1049. I guess that's also a bit on the low side. I'm sure a bunch of guys on the forum could fill you in on the #501 better than I. Kate

We have a Mccormick Super W-6 # 507. paid a grand for it about 6 yrs ago, its a nice original. they must have had extra std grills left, because they filled in the holes for the mccormick wing on the front, and added holes for te IH emblem in the center

Great piece of history!

B)It looks all true with the "tub" frame etc.

Great to see this tractor, probably the oldest surviving SUPER W-6!

Regards from Michael H.

Not mine but resides 2 miles down the road from me. McCormick Deering WD40 serial # 503. Belongs to Eric Best and was restored to 100% factory original by Wendell Kelch.

Great piece of IHC history! :)

The WD-40 was probably one of IH's most important tractors as it introduced diesel powered farm tractors to the world on a commercial scale. Wendell Keich is that man who has done a brilliant job restoring some old pre-WW1 IHC tractors too.

Thanks Michael! its a neat tractor, never been repainted. we got it from an old fixer uper joecky guy. he kinda knew it was special but didn't care a hole lot. we were excited becaue we know it would likely be our only tractor in the 500's we do have a SW4 bones parts tractor #6xx i think.

Wendell did a good job on on Erics wd-40 its just too bad he didnt paint it the proper dark dark grey. or blue black grey as MBcat called it

My brother and I have #501 806. My father passed 5 years ago and left us a pole barn full of beauties. We also have #1049. I guess that's also a bit on the low side. I'm sure a bunch of guys on the forum could fill you in on the #501 better than I. Kate

Kate, I had the pleasure of meeting and talking with your father Richard for a few minutes at the 2006 RPRU in Mansfield, OH. He was driving around his newly completed 544 Farmall Gold Demo a bit, as his health would permit. I'll always treasure that meeting. And I think its safe to say that Bermuda Ken could tell us a lot about 806 #501 as well.

As for low serial numbers around here, 886 #8602 (second one) resides at Dad's. Mostly original, and in pretty decent shape. The A/C still works well enough to keep you out of the cloud of dust off the round baler.

My grandpa bought an 806 diesel new. 20,000 hours and its still with us. #662.

We have 2 Super W6's on our farm. The 1952 is really rough shape, "1530". The other one is a 1953, it still plows snow each winter. "3987" Neither of these have TA's or Hyd's, just need to find a 54 yr model to have the set.

I have a 1952 Super M #1038.

As the story goes it was bought new by penn state university, used a littlle then later in either 52 or 53 my grandfather bought it and its been in the family ever since. This was one of the first tractors from horse farming way back then. In 1988 I bought it from my grandfather and make every effort to restore it but come up short $$$$. Sometime either in the mid 50's or in the 70's (conflicting stories from my family) the head cracked after filling silo so it got a new, not rebuilt IH head and do not think its been overhauled until I did it. The crank bearings are still standard. This tractor was the workhorse on the farm till the 460 came along then it still got more use than the 460. The super M spent most days as I knew it as a hay rake tractor, road tractor, and the grinder mixer tractor on our 10 or so farms. It was the most popular among the super H, 460, 544, 574, The rest are all gone as pap solld out over the years I just hope I can get this painted while he is still around to see! As of now I had the hoods repaired and primered, engine overhauled, just going to send the power steering pump away to get rebuilt and I should be ready for paint.

My father owns Super BW6 # 632. British built,Gas,only 275 made.Also know the whereabouts of # 627 along with BT6 crawler # 511.

Dad also owns Australian built Scout 80 # 501 ,first one built,right hand drive,4x4,152 4cyl,built Feb 1962.

Michael--that sure is a nice scout--being that your father bought it makes it special. Would you happen to have the line setting ticket for it? If you do could you post it so we could see it? It would be interesting to see the difference in an Australian built scout and a US built scout. Thanks in advance.

Eric

Eric

Michael--that sure is a nice scout--being that your father bought it makes it special. Would you happen to have the line setting ticket for it? If you do could you post it so we could see it? It would be interesting to see the difference in an Australian built scout and a US built scout. Thanks in advance.

Eric

Eric

Hi Eric,Unfortunately we dont have a line setting ticket for the scout but we did manage to confirm its build status from what was IH trucks Australia,not even sure if they had line set tickets for these.Maybe some of the Aussie guys on here could help out on this???

The truck does have quite an interesting history though,I'll try to keep a long story short,here goes:

Our family had IH dealerships here in NZ from 1957 through to 2001. When my Grandfather took over an existing dealership in 1970 there was one particular customer that had all IH equipment. Some years before we got involved, he decided he wanted a scout. Scouts were not normally sold here in NZ so the dealer made a special order through IH NZ to import one from Australia. His Scout happened to be the first one built.Fast forward a few years when our family was running the dealership,the scout ended up being traded in on some new equipment and thats when my father bought it for himself. Dad also obtained another scout from somewhere( cant recall the details)and proceeded to build one good truck from the two he now had. "But wait there's more",this gets kinda tricky to follow now but here goes:

IH USA must have sent a full set of body parts and panels to IH Australia for them to copy and make patterns off of for the production of Scouts in Australia.

Around the same time,IH NZ must have been thinking about producing/assembling Scouts here in NZ so the new body parts got sent to IH NZ head office, assembly plant.

IH NZ Scout production never happened,so here they were with a complete body set which was no use to them. What to do???

NZ head office knew we had a couple of Scouts at our dealership so the body set was sent to us and Dad used the new set when he first restored/built his Scout in the late 1970's.It has been repainted again since then with a striping job similar to the Scout2 "RALLYE' styling.

Origianally this truck was a grey colour but Dad liked the blue so he went with that. It also had the older style tailgate with the big 'IH' stamped in it but this rusted out years ago so now has the later style gate on it.

This is the story as best we know,it may not be 100% accurate but as best we can recall about the body parts anyway.Maybe some other kiwis from IH days may know more about it. Hope this helps and hope I didn't confuse you too much with the story.LOL :wacko: :wacko: :D

Regards,

Heath,

NZ

post-43339-0-98636100-1339311879_thumb.j

post-43339-0-05316100-1339311980_thumb.j

Eric

Eric

Hi Eric,Unfortunately we dont have a line setting ticket for the scout but we did manage to confirm its build status from what was IH trucks Australia,not even sure if they had line set tickets for these.Maybe some of the Aussie guys on here could help out on this???

The truck does have quite an interesting history though,I'll try to keep a long story short,here goes:

Our family had IH dealerships here in NZ from 1957 through to 2001. When my Grandfather took over an existing dealership in 1970 there was one particular customer that had all IH equipment. Some years before we got involved, he decided he wanted a scout. Scouts were not normally sold here in NZ so the dealer made a special order through IH NZ to import one from Australia. His Scout happened to be the first one built.Fast forward a few years when our family was running the dealership,the scout ended up being traded in on some new equipment and thats when my father bought it for himself. Dad also obtained another scout from somewhere( cant recall the details)and proceeded to build one good truck from the two he now had. "But wait there's more",this gets kinda tricky to follow now but here goes:

IH USA must have sent a full set of body parts and panels to IH Australia for them to copy and make patterns off of for the production of Scouts in Australia.

Around the same time,IH NZ must have been thinking about producing/assembling Scouts here in NZ so the new body parts got sent to IH NZ head office, assembly plant.

IH NZ Scout production never happened,so here they were with a complete body set which was no use to them. What to do???

NZ head office knew we had a couple of Scouts at our dealership so the body set was sent to us and Dad used the new set when he first restored/built his Scout in the late 1970's.It has been repainted again since then with a striping job similar to the Scout2 "RALLYE' styling.

Origianally this truck was a grey colour but Dad liked the blue so he went with that. It also had the older style tailgate with the big 'IH' stamped in it but this rusted out years ago so now has the later style gate on it.

This is the story as best we know,it may not be 100% accurate but as best we can recall about the body parts anyway.Maybe some other kiwis from IH days may know more about it. Hope this helps and hope I didn't confuse you too much with the story.LOL :wacko: :wacko: :D

Regards,

Heath,

NZ

Heath--- thanks for the reply--what a great story--my main IH interest is the Scout--no matter where I go someone always has a scout story like yours. Here is a picture of the one I am currently driving

Eric.

post-42970-0-74955000-1339382052_thumb.j

Hi Eric, very nice 800 you have there,have never seen one here in NZ. Scouts are very rare down here so its always nice to see some from all parts of the globe.Having said that ,we have three in our family,my brother has a 79' Traveller and I have a 78' Scout 2 ,right hand drive,factory assembled for IH NZ to demonstrate to the NZ Army as a light field vehicle,however the Army went with Land Rovers instead so the scout population down here remained very small. :unsure:

Heath

5488 #551. Bought it about 5 yrs ago north of Twin Cities, from a trucker who had picked it up down south. Springfield Reman, 12,000 hrs, I swapped the front axle from round tube to HD square tube, got a Miller loader on front and Loftness snowblower on the back, haven't used either one more than once this winter, but THEY BOTH MOVE ROCKS!!!!! :D :D :D

Nice Find.

1566 number 7655. Nothing much rare there, but is an early one I would say. And pretty much original.

Ron