Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

495man

Working on IH 70 snow blower

24 posts in this topic

I bought a 70 back in the spring, still working on it. Figured with snow a little west of me it was time to get it put back together.

First issue was gear box leaking oil and a loose shaft. Easy fix was loose gearbox cover bolts and poor gasket, harder problem was shaft seals on the main shaft. The main shaft had some play in it, to make a long story short, I couldn't get the gear box apart in the press, but moved the gear enough on the shaft to take the slop out of the box, but was unable to replace the seals!!! The bearings were fine, I was able to inspect them and it took about 12 ton of force to slide the gear so I don't think it will move again.

The gear box didn't leak any oil on the bench for two weeks, but some still comes out the seal if you tip the box too much, I might have it overfilled anyways, oil was to top of fill plug.

This 70 had the gear box bracket reinforced at some time, solid steel now.

Gear box went in place easy...putting the fan back on was not too fun, especially after not putting the key in the first time :-) (auger still in machine)

Second issue was the hyd chute swing arm was seized when I got it, bound up hard with old rust and dirt and the hyd cylinder sheared the crank arm off it...weld job. I had to press the pivot apart, polished up the shaft and pivot, and drilled and tapped it for grease fittings. Not sure why IH didn't do that...at least the grease will keep the water and stuff out of there.

Hope to work on the third issue, which is some minor welding on the chute and frame next time.

post-750-0-00326700-1320022482_thumb.jpg

post-750-0-80630200-1320022575_thumb.jpg

post-750-0-78631900-1320022817_thumb.jpg

post-750-0-16777200-1320022826_thumb.jpg

Not to make you mad , but i hope we don't get enough snow for you to use it .

I hope I don't get enough snow to use it either, but always seems to have snow anyways. I ran out of room to pile it last winter, and it was frozen like concrete so just pushing the banks back wasn't viable.

Photo is only early Feb last winter when I thought we already had lots of snow....

Snow blower hopefully will keep the banks down as well.

post-750-0-40280300-1320105897_thumb.jpg

its not a bad idea to get her ready for snow .the back roads were ice covered this am .it will not belong now .

I had the same problem . All i have is a Bushhog ztr mower that you take the front mount deck off and it has a nice heavy 5ft. blade you mount on. Last yr . we had so much wet heavy snow i couldn't move it , so i called the nieghbor across the road he's got a nice jd with cab and loader . He got me plowed out but couldn't push it back cause it had an hyd. leak. So the stuff froze and couldn't be moved.

i have a 80 blower and had the same thing happen on the spout pivot arm drilled it out for a grease zerk also! no problems with the gearbox yet, hope not sounds like it will be junk if it goes out

I was surprised how much play is in the hyd pivot shaft once it is cleaned up, seems to me it took almost 30 ton of pressure to free it up. I'm hoping that won't happen again!

From what I've read the gearbox is the part you don't want to go, the rest of the machine is toast otherwise. Not really much to a snow blower.

to_many_irons, I think we're snow safe for another week anyways if the forecast holds!

havent had a problem like that so far . Did twist apart the pto torque tube connector though .

Those gear boxes are fun to play with aren't they. Had to put bearings and seals in mine. My 70 didn't have the hydraulics, so I bought an 80 this summer with the hydrualics to put on mine. The 80 is in real hard shape, basically a parts machine. Noticed a grease fitting was put in that pivot arm also. Would love to find one of those used once or twice barn find 70 blowers.

Well, it's all together, just need some white stuff to try it out. (not really hoping....)

Chute pivots fine, but at PTO rpm the chute whips too fast so a fine touch is needed on the remote.

I originally planned to paint and decal, but I will use it first before I spend any money on cosmetics.

A barn find 70 would be nice, but unlikely out east! This one was in ok shape and had most of the decals on it, basically wore off the IH logos on the sides and the lettering on International.

Tim, did your parts 80 have the PTO shielding? That is the only thing my 70 is missing.

post-750-0-85118800-1320518594_thumb.jpg

If you need a gearbox go to surpluse center .com they have gear boxes that look just like yours. Hope that can help.

I know it's a Haynes-Denver gear box, it should hold up though, no play in it now and it has oil.

I see the 3 shafted one on surplus center is keyed on the auger shaft, IH is splined

I may get a flow restricter as one of the tips is leaky anyways. Next trip to Princess Auto maybe.

The Hayes-Dana gear box itself may be generic, but the shafts are IH designs. Probably the gear box assemblys were made to IH spec. 495man , I do have an extra shield, but someone has done some welding and reinforcing on it.

The Hayes-Dana gear box itself may be generic, but the shafts are IH designs. Probably the gear box assemblys were made to IH spec. 495man , I do have an extra shield, but someone has done some welding and reinforcing on it.

Whoops, Hayes-Dana not Haynes Denver...must be the time change LOL.

Is the shield the rolling one for the shaft, or the one that bolts to the gearbox?

The metal one that bolts to the box. I don't have a spare plastic rolling one.

The metal one that bolts to the box. I don't have a spare plastic rolling one.

Ok thanks, I'll keep that in mind if I decide to complete this machine. I pass through your way once and a while so we might be able to work something out if you want to part with it, but I'm not in any hurry.

No more 584?

Hi, I have been working on my dettson 7' snowblower with hayes dana gearbox. In trying to find parts and info I came across your post. The end play you have will come back by moving the gear, I got shims from fastenal #7042028 about .030 or 3 shims took the end play out. If your shafts are 1 1/2" seals # 450984 either timken or carquest can get them. Bearings are easy to get at bearing supply house. Goodluck.

Chris

Hi, I have been working on my dettson 7' snowblower with hayes dana gearbox. In trying to find parts and info I came across your post. The end play you have will come back by moving the gear, I got shims from fastenal #7042028 about .030 or 3 shims took the end play out. If your shafts are 1 1/2" seals # 450984 either timken or carquest can get them. Bearings are easy to get at bearing supply house. Goodluck.

Chris

Didn't they have a rope ratchet system that controlled the angle of the shute. You need a cab or a good heat houser . Then your ready to let the snow fly . :D

Chris

Thanks, great reference. My end play seems fine now just with the force required to try and move the gear on the shaft will hopefully hold things in check.

Didn't they have a rope ratchet system that controlled the angle of the shute. You need a cab or a good heat houser . Then your ready to let the snow fly . :D

Mine just has a metal rod with a pin in it. I've used the blower once so far....glad I have a decent snowsuit and hood!

I found a heated cab is better then the best snowsuit!

That's not in the cards right now...but yeah, a heated cab is the best thing!