Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jason Epperson

1086 Shifter problems

10 posts in this topic

My Dad was running my 1086 today drilling beans for me. I'm not sure what happened but I cant shift the range shifter. I have high only. When I go to others it acts like it is locked in two ranges. He said he got into low range once. Any ideas??

Has happened to me a few times. The shift mechanism says you are out of gear but really are in gear. I remove the bolts from the seat platform and the floor board cover - remove the cover then (3 bolts behind the seat I believe) - Then wrestle the seat up and backwards so you can access to the shifter arms. You will find moving one of the arms gets it out of gear and all will be OK. You may need to adjust the arms to prevent future headaches. steve

There are two ways to get it out, shut it off on the level and get a big snap on pry bay, then you can go in the shift console and try and get it back in neutral . If you have no luck with this you can go under the cab from the hyd remote side and you can move the shift linkage back to neutral .

Good Luck, Danny

probly coming up on time to rebuild the shifter and maybe linkage.

hth

mac

I've noticed when a tractor doesn't shift into gear smoothly and immediately, people tend to ram and jam harder and harder on the shift lever instead of trying to finesse it in by feathering the clutch pedal.

Your dad probably got a little rambunctious with the shifter because it wouldn't shift, and popped something out of place.

It needs the shift kit put in it and while your there you might as well put the updated shifter rail in to and take a good look at the shift fork itself while you have it out.

Do not go adjusting the linkage. They don't just come out of adjustment there is a problem.

Mike

does it have to be a Snap-On pry bar? :P

BK1086

Thanks for the help!! I got it popped back into neutral and it's ok for now. Does the dealer have the updates for the shifter that was mentioned? I would like to put in different levers that don't get in the way also. Later 86 series had straighter ones right? What about aftermarket?

Are there aftermarket shift levers available for this tractor?

Yes there are. I believe HY-Capcity has some. The later 86's had ones the curved back toward the rear of the tractor...instead of them coming straight out of the console they would come out and curve up. It made getting in and out of the tractor alot easier!! I put these on my old 1086 along with a door shock and it was a dream crawling in and out of it them.