Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

F-N-HYMER

FLUID CAPACITY IN TIRES

14 posts in this topic

I just put 100 gallon in 18.4x38's of alchohol and it brought the fluid line up just above axle high. No sloshing, and worked great.

I just put 100 gallon in 18.4x38's of alchohol and it brought the fluid line up just above axle high. No sloshing, and worked great.

I heard you boys out there like to have a cold one now and then but 100 gallons :D ... No seriously, what kind of alchohol? still using cal. or glyserin here yet.

Please help my ignorance. Why alcohol? Is it mixed with water? I would like to put something in my MD tires, but don's care for calcium chloride because it is so corrosive. In Montana, I would need to freeze protect down to below zero or more.

We use glychol here, which I think is the same as the alcohol Kristin uses. If Im not mistaken its antifreeze of sorts. Ive found that it doesnt eat up your rims near like calcium does. My 18.4-38's were nearly full on my 14 when I bought it. I drained them and gave the cal. to a neighbor and he put it in his 18.4-34s with some left over. I forget how many gallons it was but I was impressed.

If you don't like calcium use either Rim Guard (it is sugar beet juice) or windshield washer fluid. Both will not eat up the rim.

Both are environmental friendly. I use them because of the areas I work if I would leak Calcium, it would cost a fortune to clean the area up.

Thanks,

Never thought of something as simple as washer fluid. Around here it comes with alcohol to keep from freezing, so it should work.

Thanks,

Never thought of something as simple as washer fluid. Around here it comes with alcohol to keep from freezing, so it should work.

The guys that "FARM" with their garden tractors have been using WWF in their rear tires for years.

Between all five of my tractors, 3 CC's and SH & M only the rears on the SH have CaCl...have had it in since before Dad got the SH in '68, and the rims look like HECK,. and I think the 57 year old tube in the right rear has finally had enough fun. It's gone flat for the second time in two months. First time it went flat it aired up fine and stayed up for 4-5 weeks. I think I'll drain all the CaCl (about 45-50 gallon per tire) and replace the bad tube and add about three more pair of wheel weights since I need the weight for pushing snow with the loader, that'll make five pair total. The M got three sets of weights the week after it got here, and even for loader work it's really stabile.

I suppose All the inner tubes available now days are made in CHINA. Anyone know if you can still buy US made tubes for 12.4X38 tires? At FARMALL we ALWAYS used Radial-spec tubes from GY or Firestone because they were heavier than bias only tubes.

I looked at the barrell while they were here and it's Methynol alchohol. Mixed 50/50 with water. I use that because it is non corrosive. Drawback is that it doesn't weigh as much as calcium, but close enough.(8.8 lbs/gallon) I don't think I'd use washer fluid. I've seen too much of that stuff freeze solid or slushy at not a very low temp. Besides this was 1.50/gallon. I would think beet juice is acidic, but maybe not.

I don't know how much fluid is needed for your tires but we used RV-antifreeze in our lawn tractor tires for ballast, it is non corrosive, environmentally friendly and not to costly, it will not freeze but may cost too much for large tires.

I looked at the barrel while they were here and it's Methynol alchohol. Mixed 50/50 with water. I use that because it is non corrosive. Drawback is that it doesn't weigh as much as calcium, but close enough.(8.8 lbs/gallon) I don't think I'd use washer fluid. I've seen too much of that stuff freeze solid or slushy at not a very low temp. Besides this was 1.50/gallon. I would think beet juice is acidic, but maybe not.

If you use the right Wind shield washer fluid it will not freeze down to 40 degrees. .

I have it in several tractors and never had a problem .

They are used in the winter all the time so if freeing was a problem I would know.

Watch and you can buy washer fluid for around a dollar a gallon in 55 gallon barrels. Calcium will cost a lot more than that.

Sugar beet juice is not acidic. I have it in my 6330 JD and had a flat tire a few weeks ago. (hired help ran over a I beam, New tire) and the rim looked like new. (No tube) Other good part is I was in an industrial site and If I would of had Calcium It would have cost a fortune to clean it up. Sugar beet juice it just ran on the ground and I bought a new tire and new juice. and was going in a few hours.