Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DC Snider

Help Identify Childhood IH Toy Tractor

13 posts in this topic

I've figured out which tractor I wil restore next, if I can get some help from someone that knows Ertl toy tractors well enough to tell me what I have...

This picture is from Christmas Day 1970 and I am the proud owner of a new Farmall tractor...

DustiChristmas1970.jpg

Fast forward 41 years and I still have it...

ErtlToyTractor001.jpg

I spray bombed it about 16-17 years ago. Right now it sits proudly on a shelf in our living room. I've looked at a couple website where I could order decals for it and would like to put it back like it's supposed to be. Can anyone look at it and tell what exactly it is and the model?

ErtlToyTractor002.jpg

I know it's probably not worth much to anyone, but its worth alot to me. I'd appreciate any help ya'll could give me. Thanks

the body looks like an 806 gas, but i think they were sold as a 544? they sell them on ebay all the time.

That's the 2nd version of the 656 farmall toy tractor. The first version was the same toy but had the white panels like a 706 but was decaled 656. Eason

It's kind of a hybrid. Has an 806 grill, but the rear operators area is 656, 544 or some small frame tractor (look at the clutch and brake pedals).

I also think it is 1/24 scale. There is another model with a 656 grill, and a 1066 with no fenders that are a lot more common than the toy you have in that scale.

Any toy from ones childhood is a great toy.

.......................Mark

Like eason said this is the second version of the 656. It is the tractor on the top of the page that I copied from the book a guide to collecting McCormick and International farm toys. It was made by ertl and is 1/32 scale. It was made in the 70's

post-458-0-38031000-1300324210_thumb.jpg

So 656 it is then. I take it that this is the decal kit I need...a whopping $2.00

http://www.bossenimp.com/32-IH-656-Decal-Set-P2130.aspx

This may be the cheapest tractor I've ever restored!

Thank you all for your help. I'll post some pictures of it when its done.

ya i was gonna say a 656 and the trailer looks like a set at one time

i still have most of my old toys 1/64 carpet farmin in the winter and sandbox put alot of sandbox acres on alot of my toys (i grew real wheat)

That's the 2nd version of the 656 farmall toy tractor. The first version was the same toy but had the white panels like a 706 but was decaled 656. Eason

Yep. I've got the first version on the shelf in the farm office. The white panels are painted on, not decaled on the first version.

It's called a 656 but it's kind of a hybred. 806 six sided axels 656 had square axels. 806 dual shift levers 656 had single lever. I just bought one from Bossen Imp. Wanted to customize to look like mine when I farmed,add fenders rock box etc. When it came had a certifacet that it was from Fred Ertl's private collection. No way way I'am going to take that out of box and custumize. Found another one on E-bay also had the wagon. now I've got yet another project. They seem to be a little larger than 1/32. .

From your original picture, it looks like it was painted and decaled as a 856. Original mold was of a 806. I would go 856 paint and decals to look like1970 picture.

Harold H

If you look at the;hood line, frame rails, and rear housing, they definitely relate to a large frame tractor (706, 806,856, etc) and not a small frame which looks like a (.460, 560, 656, etc.).

Harold H

Dusty here is the complete set.

018.jpg

Here are the 656's

019.jpg

Here are the 66 series versions.

020.jpg