Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

krt0711

need help building a 361..

25 posts in this topic

was lookin for ways to make more power on my 806 was looking to pull it.. any helpful advise?

Turbocharge it.

Looking for the screw to turn up the pump.. Is it under the govenor screw on top of the pump? And how can i up the rpms on this roosamaster?is it possible?

We have added a 1256 manifold a 3lm 466 turbo and working on the pump. I was told i needed. 093 lines.. What kind of injector or nozzles should i go with? Maybe have them jetted?

You need a .450 pump. You are going to have a hard time spinning that 3LM the way it is now.

And what did a 450 roosa master pump come out on?

I used a injector line washer and behind the govenor spring to get my rpms up the pump is turned up. But i havent had it on a dyno yet.. Still think i need a 450 the lines and nozzles?i haven't pulled it yet either i just hope i dont get half track and get under the turbo bc of not enough fuel r sumthing. Its definatly trial and error this yr. Im learning.. Id like to have a 3000 rpm cam too but dont know were to look. Im afraid too many rpms could ruin this old 2400 stocker cam.. Guess we will find out soon

Well i did a lil research and a 450 pump csme on sum crawler tractors.. And last night gettimg tje tractor ready im pretty sure the pump shot craps.. We had been working the air out of the hydro/brake lines tryin to get the steering to work. Oh more trial and error to come im sure

My 361 has the stock 370 roosie pump on it, a 3ld schwtizer which makes about 17 lbs of boost, a size bigger injector series and a air to air intercooler and it makes about 210 pto hp. We pull it in the more strict farm classes and it real competive around here. We have a 1256 with a 450 on it and it makes well over 350hp. It should have water inj. on it by the size of the flame out the pipe. We burned out the t/a last week so we put a new super hd t/a in it over the weekend and now I think the clutch is slipping a little so it needs a double disc clutch. Just be aware of that if you go with the 450 - you will end up spending some cash to keep it together.

Had a good season this yr . My last pull was sept took 4th got beat by a green 466 and 2 red ones with 466's outta seven tractors.. My head started leaking sum antifreeze the last hook so needing to fire ring the head overhaul the motor I guess slide a Vogel cam in her

But I was wanting to get bigger cubes like 407 .. Unfortunately I havent had any luck finding one.I'm looking for a 407 or I'm thinking of just puttin in oversize pistons int 361 kinda hard to find a 407 crank too.. what would be the best option?any pointers? Here in mid mo not too many ih pulling the heavy farm classes with my sanction i run with.. Been hooking 9500,to 11,500would like it to be 7500 bare .. Lol sum more modifications pot front end cast pc .. Anyways any input would be good .. Thanks

speedlimit? if none, you'll really need a .450 pump built, if a limit of 8 or less, you won't be able to use your power with a 450. I run an AC with a 450 and pulls best in the 14000# running 14mph. I have done a few pumps forothers retaining the 370.

An option you have, if you can't find a 407 to build, would be to put 407 pistons in your 361. I know of one this way, its a setup that has been around a very long time. I don't know if it runs 407 sleeves, or if it just runs 407 pistons in a bored-out 361 block. It gives a guy 396 cubes. The block will have to be decked to bring the compression back up, as the piston pin to top of piston height on a 407 piston will be shorter than a 361 piston. Personally, I'd see if 407 sleeves could be used, to make it more durable than just running pistons in the block. Perhaps a custom sleeve could be used as well.

Just a thought to ponder.

I actually did think of putting the 407 pistons in the 361 block just didn't know what complications id run into. I figured it be about 400 ci ..the question is is it competitive ? I mean u know the old saying, no replacement for displacement , no substitute for cubic inches so on an so forth.. Just figured I needed to go big to hang with those jd /ih 466 blocks plus my sanction rules won't let me use a pump besides factory appearing .. I think the 450 is to big maybe a 390 or so not sure on the setup yet . Mostly figured out my weight transfer and hitch tricks this yr .. Think I might have access to a dt 429 that was in a td20b possibly.. The ppl are not for sure of the motor. That motor should have the large injectors the good pump to save me lots of coins from the local pump shops prices hopefully. ..

The DT361 w/ 407 pistons that I referred to earlier used to be a Hot Farm engine, way back in the day, it had a P pump on it. Later it received a 450 Roosamaster and a 3LM-466 turbo & pulled the 3000 RPM class. It was removed from the 806 it resided in for many years, sat idle for at least 3 or 4 years, then was shoehorned into a 706, and still pulls at 3000 RPMs ever so often. It is still a stout lil engine.

some cam regrinding ? another way to get some more HP'S

A 466 will out do a 361/407, there is no way of getting around that. The fuel pump is of no concern as over fueling a N\A motor is the easy part, big cubes and a head that flows is where it is at and the 466 does both in stock form. Boring yes, cheap power yes...

I would go with a C4 407 block and go BIG on stroke and bore, serious head work, custom ground cam, .450 pump, the works, but not my money.

thanks for the input .. illl keep it in mind .. i would like to have a c4 block

Sorry to hijack your thread, but where about in central MO are u pulling, and what tractors are u pulling against?

tiemanfarms if you could tell your rules i can tell you different setups that would give 466 hard way to go..

i pull a 806 with a p-pump and custom charger and 20.8-38 tires and i finished 3rd in points..

ok heres a update got a 1256 , just bought it yesterday.. it needs major work, but it has the 407 i wanted for my 806. problem is its a c2 block.. actually how bad are they? my class rules are. www.bpmpulling.com farm class .. i wanna send my cam off to crane for a custom grind.. i have two options,305/509 or 320/534 intake .024 exhaust .026 ra ratio 1.67 for a 3000 rpm cam .. sent head off for port n polish etc.just needing to get my pump work done baaadddd.. re:ih1466 im from saline county west of marshall area..re:smiley the link shall show my rules.. i was also wondering if the rebuilt 3lm i bought last yr mite of been a mistake? it only show boost of 18lbs??? gonna have sum tough competion this year.. input???

C2 blocks are ok, IMO, as long as you keep them with the stock bore sleeves. Go w/ a larger sleeve, and you want to maybe look for a C3 or C4. Depends how far you're gonna go. At stock 407 cubic inch, a C2 will be fine.

ok thanks ..

As long as the block isn't fatigued from normal use, a C2 should handle the power you're planning on.

anyone used a air to air cooler or a air to water cooler on there tractor? I know the big boys do it. Just wondered why it couldn't be done on a farm stock? ?