Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pirlbeck

MX285 Engine fault codes

27 posts in this topic

Anyone have a list of the fault codes for the engine controller? For some reason my factory MX manual does not list any engine fault codes....must be too old or else I need another manual of some sort. Anyway here are the codes.

ENG 00539

ENG 00433

ENG 00329

ENG 00276

ENG 00277

Thanks!

Pat

539=injection control transorb in harness failed 433=boost level disagrees with engine operation conditions 329=caps pump overpumping failure 276= injection contol out of range 277= injection control valve failed

From ASIST.....

Fault code 539 indicates a transorb diode failure. The transorb diode is also called transient suppressor.

The transorb diode is part of the engine harness and is located near the ECM (about 8 inches away). It is a copper cylinder measuring approximately 13 mm (0.5 inch) in diameter and 75 mm (3 inches) long.

Cut the old transorb diode from the engine harness and solder the new transorb diode in its place.

The transorb diode protects the ECM from voltage spikes created by the injection control valve. If the engine is run with a failed transorb diode, an ECM failure can result. Run the engine and check for normal operation after replacing the transorb diode. If the engine has a cylinder miss or the engine fails to start, the ECM may need to be replaced.

329, 276 and 277 can be triggered by the failed suppressor or by fuel restriction or air ingress into the fuel system.

Inspect the electric transfer pump for leakage between the pump and base. The 3 bolts that attach the pump have a tendency to lose tension.

Thanks for the replies. Would J944110 be the correct part number for the transorb diode?

The problem this tractor is having has been described to me as "the engine cutting out" at road speed. If I understood correctly, the engine dies momentarily and then comes back. I believe it just keeps doing this at road speed.

Thanks again!

Pat

Thanks for the replies. Would J944110 be the correct part number for the transorb diode?

The problem this tractor is having has been described to me as "the engine cutting out" at road speed. If I understood correctly, the engine dies momentarily and then comes back. I believe it just keeps doing this at road speed.

Thanks again!

Pat

That is the correct p/n. Just under $200.00.

We replaced the transorb diode today with no improvement at all with how it runs. When driving it and when the bucking starts, the display beeps and reads engine fault. Error code 00433 has now moved to the top of the error code list (replacing 00539) so I am assuming 00433 is now the most recent one and replacing the transorb diode took care of code 00539. As posted above, error code 00433 is "boost level disagrees with engine operation conditions" The wires to the two (1 boost & 1 temp) sensors in the intake manifold (cylinder head actually) are connected and the wiring looks to be in good condition. What other "conditions" does the ECM look at to make this determination? Is there any way to ohm test the boost sensor?

We have checked the electric fuel pump bolts as mentioned above and checked the fuel flow and it appears fine. The inline filter and fuel filter are both new. We disconnected the fuel line from the filter at the pump and when turning the key on we get a very good flow. Also, we have a digital remote reading gauge hooked to the DR port on the pump and we have 170PSI at idle and 155 at road speed when the cutting out starts.

I am still waiting on the Case/IH fuel system service manual, so could someone point me in the right direction on how to troubleshoot this current code. Is it possible to troubleshoot this problem without the Case-IH dealer laptop? Will we be able to troubleshoot this once we get the service manual along with a DVOM?

Also, is it not possible to clear the error codes using the procedure shown in the manual where you hold the INCR & DECR keys for 10 seconds? Does this only work on earlier tractors or earlier software versions? For whatever reason I can not clear the codes using the display keys and this is not the first tractor I have had this problem on.

Thanks!

Pat

Pirlbeck, Thank you for starting this topic. We currently have an MX270 at the farm with what sounds like mirror image symptoms. While myself and the Dealer currently working on the tractor have yet to determine the cause of the problem, this topic has given me a few more ideas. So far we have tried a new software reload, injection pump pressure sensor, and tried a different control module, and replaced a majority of the fuel lines, all with no improvement. ours only really cuts out at road speed and typically only once after each startup, however further investigation might have revealed this to be a false symptom. Like you we have tested the pressure of the gear pump supplying the injection pump and found it to be well in speck, we disconnected the fuel line after the lift pump and checked for good lift and flow, and visually it looked good. Next we followed the recommendation of assist and built a clear fuel line to go from the fuel/water-separator filter to the injection gear pump. this line allowed us to see that very large amounts of air are entering the fuel system when the engine is loaded during shifting up to and maintaining road speed. this clear line also revealed that our problem is not so much related to startup as it is to loading of the engine because we could now see that excessive air was entering the fuel system anytime the engine was under load. We've bypassed the fuel/water separator and still have air in the fuel system, so my next step is to investigate the startup lift pump. I would suggest that you build a similar line as it has helped us to determine that what we thought was an electronic issue is really more of a mechanical problem. For our Line I used a piece of large clear milk hose, a couple of fittings with pipe fitting on one side and barbed ends on the other side for fitting into hoses and hose clamping, and then the appropriate fittings to attach into the fuel system.

Hope this can help lead you in a direction that gets your tractor fixed, if I ever figure out whats wrong with ours, I'll post it up.

The EST will help with a snapshot of info from when error code occurred. User fueling state logged in this snap shot will help diagnose problems. You still have to check sensors and harness with DVOM. Have you verified actual boost PSI while under fault conditions? Condition of turbo?

Pirlbeck, Thank you for starting this topic. We currently have an MX270 at the farm with what sounds like mirror image symptoms. While myself and the Dealer currently working on the tractor have yet to determine the cause of the problem, this topic has given me a few more ideas. So far we have tried a new software reload, injection pump pressure sensor, and tried a different control module, and replaced a majority of the fuel lines, all with no improvement. ours only really cuts out at road speed and typically only once after each startup, however further investigation might have revealed this to be a false symptom. Like you we have tested the pressure of the gear pump supplying the injection pump and found it to be well in speck, we disconnected the fuel line after the lift pump and checked for good lift and flow, and visually it looked good. Next we followed the recommendation of assist and built a clear fuel line to go from the fuel/water-separator filter to the injection gear pump. this line allowed us to see that very large amounts of air are entering the fuel system when the engine is loaded during shifting up to and maintaining road speed. this clear line also revealed that our problem is not so much related to startup as it is to loading of the engine because we could now see that excessive air was entering the fuel system anytime the engine was under load. We've bypassed the fuel/water separator and still have air in the fuel system, so my next step is to investigate the startup lift pump. I would suggest that you build a similar line as it has helped us to determine that what we thought was an electronic issue is really more of a mechanical problem. For our Line I used a piece of large clear milk hose, a couple of fittings with pipe fitting on one side and barbed ends on the other side for fitting into hoses and hose clamping, and then the appropriate fittings to attach into the fuel system.

Hope this can help lead you in a direction that gets your tractor fixed, if I ever figure out whats wrong with ours, I'll post it up.

Are you setting any error codes at all? This tractor bucks/cuts out so bad you could not drive it any distance on the road at all and I don't think there is any way it would work in the field this way either.

I think I need to find the reason for my 00433 error code and hopefully the problem will be repaired.

Thanks for your reply!

Pat

The EST will help with a snapshot of info from when error code occurred. User fueling state logged in this snap shot will help diagnose problems. You still have to check sensors and harness with DVOM. Have you verified actual boost PSI while under fault conditions? Condition of turbo?

It was late in the day when we got the diode changed and have not had time to investigate the problem any farther. We will be looking at the turbo and checking boost pressure tomorrow. Hopefully the fuel system manual will be in at the local dealer tomorrow morning.

Thanks for your help!

Pat

EFisk What are your error codes? 329 and 456?

I honestly do not remember the exact codes that are being thrown at this time, but yes we do get codes each time. I will try to get the time tomorrow to go out and pull the ones that are currently on it. What seems odd is that you can check codes one day, and they will not be there the next day, and as far as I know, I have not cleared any. Any idea why this is happening?

I honestly do not remember the exact codes that are being thrown at this time, but yes we do get codes each time. I will try to get the time tomorrow to go out and pull the ones that are currently on it. What seems odd is that you can check codes one day, and they will not be there the next day, and as far as I know, I have not cleared any. Any idea why this is happening?

Do they only show when they are happening, like an active code. CAT has what they call logged codes, and active codes. The only way to see a active code, is it has to be happening. Logged codes will show when they happened, and how many times.

Jason

One thing I learned along time ago is to CHECK YOUR GROUNDS!!!! They have bit me more than I care to say. Electronics do some funny things when the ground is dirty, loose, or just plan bad. I have NO experience with CNH equipment or there engine control systems. So I'm shotting from the hip here, but I agree with followme1086 an verify the boost issue.

Jason

One thing I learned along time ago is to CHECK YOUR GROUNDS!!!! They have bit me more than I care to say. Electronics do some funny things when the ground is dirty, loose, or just plan bad. I have NO experience with CNH equipment or there engine control systems. So I'm shotting from the hip here, but I agree with followme1086 an verify the boost issue.

Jason

That was the major benefit to building the clear fuel supply line, we were able to see that it was not a faulty sensor reading, but rather an intake of a large amount of air by the actual fuel supply system that is starving the injection system of an adequate amount of fuel to maintain power. the odd thing about our situation is that if you back out of the throttle a third or half way, and let the motor work through its fuel starvation, it will pick back up and run ok for the remainder of the time its being used because somehow its recieving just enough fuel to run ok, however, with the clear fuel line, you can see all the air that is being circulated in the fuel system

We replaced the transorb diode today with no improvement at all with how it runs. When driving it and when the bucking starts, the display beeps and reads engine fault. Error code 00433 has now moved to the top of the error code list (replacing 00539) so I am assuming 00433 is now the most recent one and replacing the transorb diode took care of code 00539. As posted above, error code 00433 is "boost level disagrees with engine operation conditions" The wires to the two (1 boost & 1 temp) sensors in the intake manifold (cylinder head actually) are connected and the wiring looks to be in good condition. What other "conditions" does the ECM look at to make this determination? Is there any way to ohm test the boost sensor?

If you are having fueling issues still, the boost could be affected. Not enough fuel-not enough boost. A stuck waste gate or faulty waste gate servo could cause improper boost but does not fit your symptoms of bucking and missing under load.

We have checked the electric fuel pump bolts as mentioned above and checked the fuel flow and it appears fine. The inline filter and fuel filter are both new. We disconnected the fuel line from the filter at the pump and when turning the key on we get a very good flow. Also, we have a digital remote reading gauge hooked to the DR port on the pump and we have 170PSI at idle and 155 at road speed when the cutting out starts.

Have the spring clamps on the flexible fuel lines from the tank to the filter/lift pump been replaced with aero style clamps? There is also a spring that can be added to the fuel line at the tank outlet to prevent the hose from kinking. (that spring should be on a 285 from factory) Also look for the hose being pinched between tank and transmission housing. The lift pump base has a plethora of plugs and fittings that could allow air ingress. (the lift pump only runs for 30 seconds after key on) And, just because you tightened the pump bolts doesn't mean you got it to seal again. And, for some reason the gasket is not available separately.

I am still waiting on the Case/IH fuel system service manual, so could someone point me in the right direction on how to troubleshoot this current code. Is it possible to troubleshoot this problem without the Case-IH dealer laptop? Will we be able to troubleshoot this once we get the service manual along with a DVOM?

It is possible to do it without the EST, but much easier and faster with it.

Also, is it not possible to clear the error codes using the procedure shown in the manual where you hold the INCR & DECR keys for 10 seconds? Does this only work on earlier tractors or earlier software versions? For whatever reason I can not clear the codes using the display keys and this is not the first tractor I have had this problem on.

The ICU software you have does not allow clearing of the codes with INC/DEC keys. Any fault inactive for 10 hours will not be available. All faults will be stored in memory for EST retrieval. First fault listed is the most recent. Software can be updated in the ICU that wil allow clearing of the faults at the keypad.

Thanks!

Pat

Ok, I think were gaining........here is where we are at after messing with it today. We installed a clear line (thanks for the suggestion Efisk) and found we start to get a large amount of air as soon as the electric pump shuts down. When the large amounts of air start getting to the CAPS pump that is when it cuts out. To try to isolate this problem we installed a new 1/2 rubber fuel line from the inlet fitting on the electric pump into the tank through the fill cap hole. This seemed to cut down the air problem slightly (no inline filter and a shorter, direct hose so it don't have to pull as hard) but did not eliminate it. It did run quite a bit better but would still cut out when a large glob of air got to the pump, usually right after pulling it a little harder. It looks to me that the most likely area for it to suck air into it now has to be the electric pump. I ordered one ($502.40 - ouch) and will install it tomorrow and see what happens.

One concern I still have, is that it sets the error code 00433 (boost level disagrees with engine operation conditions) even when there is not any visible air going into the pump. I am hoping that replacing the pump will cure the air problem and this will in turn take care of my 00433, 00329 (caps pump overpumping failure) and 00276 ( injection contol out of range ) error codes. I could see where the air could cause the 329 and 276 codes but I am not so sure about the 433 code. I guess we'll take this one step at a time and see where it leads us.

Still no manual, the dealer checked on it today and it was shipped last Thursday from Racine, WI, but it has not made it to western Iowa as of yet.

Thanks for all of the help!

Pat

OK, here is where we are at after messing with it some today. The manual showed up at the dealer this morning, so I have it now.

The new fuel transfer pump seemed to help a lot, but I am still not so sure we aren't getting more air into the fuel system then we should. How much air is normal or acceptable? I have the fuel system hooked back up using the factory lines and while it runs much better then it did, it did cutout one time for me today when test driving it at road speed, so I think it still may be sucking too much air. Or maybe it cutout because of some other reason.

A forum member (Thanks Jim!) sent us some info on how to check out the boost sensor and it turned out the boost sensor was bad. Since replacing the boost sensor that problem appears to be fixed.

The codes we now have are as follows.

1, 329 CAPS over pumping failure. This code was #3 when tractor came into shop.

2, 433 boost pressure signal out of range. This code was #2 when tractor came into shop. I think this one has been fixed, it just hasn't been bumped down the list by any other codes yet.

3, 276 injection control valve out of range. This was #4 when tractor came into shop.

4, 611 can't find it in manual, but a net search showed it to be something along the lines of "no cool down before shut down" This showed up right after it died for me when test driving it down the road. It died because I didn't have the suction hose used for testing purposes submerged in the fuel tank properly.

5, 278 fuel lift pump failed......another Pat is stupid code......I started the tractor without the electric fuel pump plugged in.

6, 539 transorb diode failure. This code was #1 when tractor came into shop. Replacing the diode appears to have fixed this one.

7, 277 injection control valve failure. This code was #5 when tractor came into shop.

Right now my concerns are we are not 100% sure we have the sucking air problem fixed and the 329 code appears to be an active code.

When I drive the tractor the display beeps and the engine fault is displayed. It does this even when the fuel does not appear to have any air in it at all. The manual I have says if you have an active code 00329 and don't have active codes 268,277,328 to replace the CAPS pump. Do you agree with that? I hate to hang something that expensive on this thing without being 100% sure it will fix it. This is a later tractor that according to the engine s/n and pump s/n should of came from the factor with all of the latest CAPS pump improvements. Has anyone seen many problems with the later pump?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Pat

329 could also be a restricted fuel system as well as air ingress in to the fuel system. You could plumb a compound psi/vacum gauge into the system on top of the main filter on the caps pump side of the filter and on both sides of the lift pump. Early Mx240 and 270 lift pumps had a silicone check valve in the outlet to the main filter that could come dislodged and get stuck in the line or filter head. This would cause a restriction and cause a 329 error. Spec for restriction is not more than 4" (1to2 with new filters) before the lift pump and not more than 10" at the inlet to the caps pump (4-5" with new filters). How are you making out EFisk? I am not to far from you here in NY.

Followme,

This tractor did have the original lift pump, but I sure didn't notice anything blocking any of the fittings when I switched them over to the new pump. Also, one of the very first tests we did was fuel flow to the CAPS pump and it looked like plenty to us. If it is a fuel supply problem, I am thinking it has to be the air that is the problem. I don't have a PSI/vacuum gauge that I trust. The service manual talks about a "filter minder" gauge and I did a little looking online to see if I could find someone that would have it stock so I could have it in my hand in a day or two, but I did not have any luck.

I just had a thought.....would it hurt anything to temporally wire the electric fuel transfer pump up so it runs all of the time? It seems as when it is running we get less air in the fuel system. If it didn't have an active code with the pump running it would point the problem towards the fuel supply and on the other hand if I did have an active code with it running it would point at the CAPS pump.

Thanks!

Pat

I got my Vac/PSI gauge at Napa if that helps. Sorry I posted incorrectly but your 285 should have had the newest lift pump.

Followme,

This tractor did have the original lift pump, but I sure didn't notice anything blocking any of the fittings when I switched them over to the new pump. Also, one of the very first tests we did was fuel flow to the CAPS pump and it looked like plenty to us. If it is a fuel supply problem, I am thinking it has to be the air that is the problem. I don't have a PSI/vacuum gauge that I trust. The service manual talks about a "filter minder" gauge and I did a little looking online to see if I could find someone that would have it stock so I could have it in my hand in a day or two, but I did not have any luck.

I just had a thought.....would it hurt anything to temporally wire the electric fuel transfer pump up so it runs all of the time? It seems as when it is running we get less air in the fuel system. If it didn't have an active code with the pump running it would point the problem towards the fuel supply and on the other hand if I did have an active code with it running it would point at the CAPS pump.

Thanks!

Pat

Re; Filterminder....that recommendation has been rescinded due to inaccuracy and leakage. A vacuum gauge plumbed in is your only option.

Remember that faults are kept in order, 1 being the most recent. A fault will disappear from the ICU screen after 10 hours inactive. (still stored for retrieval with an EST)

If you do have a Tech come out with an EST send your detailed information beforehand so he knows what has already been done and what needs done. Should help minimize repetition and damage to the wallet.

Jim N.

I have rigged up a 5 gallon container with a 1/2 inch hose and return nipple to use on tractors with fuel tanks removed or gelled up tanks (Brrrr). You could eliminate a problem with the tank by using a set up like this.

Maynard,

Thanks for the advice on the filter minder. It sure would be nice if Case/IH/Cummins would update the info in their service manual when things are changed.

Followme,

I had a 2-1/2 gallon jug rigged up like that today on this tractor and it still pulled a little air in, but not as bad as when pulling it out of the tractor tank using the factory lines.

Thanks!

Pat

329 could also be a restricted fuel system as well as air ingress in to the fuel system. You could plumb a compound psi/vacum gauge into the system on top of the main filter on the caps pump side of the filter and on both sides of the lift pump. Early Mx240 and 270 lift pumps had a silicone check valve in the outlet to the main filter that could come dislodged and get stuck in the line or filter head. This would cause a restriction and cause a 329 error. Spec for restriction is not more than 4" (1to2 with new filters) before the lift pump and not more than 10" at the inlet to the caps pump (4-5" with new filters). How are you making out EFisk? I am not to far from you here in NY.

Finally found some time today to work with the tractor some more. Unfortunately all of the error codes were reset the last time the dealer was out to tinker with it, and it has not been run very much since then. I did take it out on the road and was able to get it to through a code of 00121. I can about guarantee that 00329 was one of the previous codes. The tractor has had more than one injection pump in the time we have owned it, and we replaced the lift pump 3 or four years ago also.

PirlBeck, kinda a simple question, but an issues that i've had many problems on ours with, have you replaced every soft rubber fuel line on the tractor yet? We've had the main supply line from the tank collapse internally before so that it was not visual from the out side, but would cause enough restriction to kill the tractor at road speed. also there are a couple of smaller rubber lines running from the injection pump to the radiators in the front, and then back to the lift pump i believe. They are run through plastic loaming, so they're not the first thing you tend to look for, and the way they are routed makes them very susceptible to bending and kinking. These lines have also given me problems with intermittent engine cut out at loaded full rpms. also, i believe there is a fule screen/strainer in the pump that supplys the injection pump, right around the area of the fitting to test for proper pressure from the fuel supply pump, ours was fine and clear, but worth the 10 minutes to check.

What i've been wondering on our 270 is, is there any place in the fuel system with a check valve of sorts that could malfunction and allow the fuel to bleed back into the tank at shutdown, or not create the proper vacuum to lift the fuel while the motors running?