Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest 1966IH504

What brand of portable sawmill do you prefer?

28 posts in this topic

I have been studying portable sawmill designs and features and would like to know from experienced users, what brands they like or dislike and what features need improvements. For exmple, I have heard that some owners of LOG-MASTER sawmills say, that the trailer leveling jacks are flimsy. Haven't heard much else negative about that brand. Anyone own a model LM3, LM4, or LM6?

Wood-Mizer sawmills offer a lot of options and features, but are they worth the price? I like the fact that their mills have stainless steel bed sleeves. In addition, I like that the trailer outriggers are of a sturdier design and also the LubeMizer blade coolant feature is pressurized, instead of gravity feed. I am a little concerned about the cantilever design and the fact that the debarker is an electric motor and has a small diameter carbide tipped blade. The LOG-MASTER uses a hydraulic motor with a chainsaw loop on a 12" disc.

Anyone own a Wood-Mizer LT70, LT50, or LT40 Super Hydraulic?

I have looked at TimberKing, but need options that they don't offer. I think a bandsaw type mill will work better for my needs than a circular saw mill.

WOOD-MIZER IS A GOOD BRAND.. MY BUDDY HAS ONE..

WOOD-MIZER IS A GOOD BRAND.. MY BUDDY HAS ONE..

Ok, thanks, I've heard from a few others and they all liked them, too. There's always so much marketing hype,and it can make it difficult to find out the unbiased facts. I'd like to get a transfer table and maybe an inclined conveyor to compliment a future mill purchase, but they may be too cost prohibitive. Will definitely purchase an automated sharpener and several extra blades.

I know there are people that swear by their Lucas or Peterson mills, but I don't want to have to manhandle heavy logs onto or underneath the mill and then have to shim or put them onto blocking. The videos always show how quick the circular saw, swing blade mills cut the logs into dimensional lumber, but they kind of omit part of the setup process, IMO. Their company reps may argue with me, but when I have to roll a 1,500 lb or 2000 lb log, that is not easy and labor free.

Have not looked real close but would have bought the wood mizer ($$ double others)

traveling and custom mill have them here 15 + years I know of

I have an older Woodmizer LT40 hydraulic. I bought it at an auction and it needed work and a debarker, all of which I have done. Before I bought mine, I hired a fellow 4 times with the same mill to come out and cut for me. I really wanted a Baker 4 post but never saw a used one I could come close to affording. I may cut for $ at some point, but for now I just need lumber for some more farm buildings. The thing I don't like about the Woodmizer is the tendency toward thick and thin boards because of the one arm design. Cutting clean wood with sharp blades, of course, helps but that isn't always the real world. I will say that the Woodmizer organization is a first rate company to deal with. If you are going to cut for a living you wouldn't have to worry about after the sale support from them. The funny thing about a Woodmizer is that when it shows up in the morning, it looks pretty small and insignificant next to the pile of logs you want to have sawn. By the end of the day, however, it's grown in stature and your sore arms can't wait to see the thing leave. They really can cut a lot of lumber in a hurry.

I had a Woodmizer LT40 HYDRALIC as far as Im concerned Woodmizer makes the best Band Mill out there. Very reliable and makes accurate cuts time after time. I bought my first mill in 1997,a LT40 non hydalic I had so much work comming in I moved up to the same mill with hydralics a year later. They are very easy to use and maintain. There are a ton of options available. The single most important option I would reccomend is the debarker. Setworks might be nice but the manual scale is very easy to read and use. I have sawn every species of tree that grows in the north east both hardwood and softwood. It's an excellent machine,they offer good support including

sharpening. I was very happy with the mill I had. I sold it this last fall and am missing it already. Might not be long before I have another. Would love a Super Hydralic or the LT50.

They used a Woodmizer here last year,I was impressed and I grew up with a Frick #1.They brought in an Amish guy to fine tune it as they had just bought it and were novices with a mill.A little VERY fine tuning made a big difference.

Still not as hard to set up and tune as a big portable circular sawmill.I'd buy one.

I have an older Woodmizer LT40 hydraulic. I bought it at an auction and it needed work and a debarker, all of which I have done. Before I bought mine, I hired a fellow 4 times with the same mill to come out and cut for me. I really wanted a Baker 4 post but never saw a used one I could come close to affording. I may cut for $ at some point, but for now I just need lumber for some more farm buildings. The thing I don't like about the Woodmizer is the tendency toward thick and thin boards because of the one arm design. Cutting clean wood with sharp blades, of course, helps but that isn't always the real world. I will say that the Woodmizer organization is a first rate company to deal with. If you are going to cut for a living you wouldn't have to worry about after the sale support from them. The funny thing about a Woodmizer is that when it shows up in the morning, it looks pretty small and insignificant next to the pile of logs you want to have sawn. By the end of the day, however, it's grown in stature and your sore arms can't wait to see the thing leave. They really can cut a lot of lumber in a hurry.

Yeah, I gotta have a debarker equipped mill. I wish I could find a simple way to attach a Log-Master type debarker on the Wood-Mizer. The Log-Master version is a hydraulic motor with a 12" disk that's got a chainsaw loop on it. It alone weighs over 150 lbs. Guess I better go to my nearest Wood-Mizer dealer and get a closer inspection of their electric debarker. I understand about the sore arms. I've felled some very large trees and unfortunately, I didn't have a mill to turn them into lumber. The people I know that do own their own mills are too far away to help. I'm hoping to build a specialized structure just for a sawmill. I don't plan on moving the sawmill very often, and would rather just bring the logs to the mill, instead of hauling the mill to the logs. Hope I can purchase a transfer table that will make the board handling process more simplistic and less laborious. I'm used to back breaking work and ready for the challenge. There are so many wood working projects that I plan on building with some of the lumber. But, I will have to figure out if I want to be patient and just air dry the lumber, the old fashioned way or build a solar kiln.

I had a Woodmizer LT40 HYDRALIC as far as Im concerned Woodmizer makes the best Band Mill out there. Very reliable and makes accurate cuts time after time. I bought my first mill in 1997,a LT40 non hydalic I had so much work comming in I moved up to the same mill with hydralics a year later. They are very easy to use and maintain. There are a ton of options available. The single most important option I would reccomend is the debarker. Setworks might be nice but the manual scale is very easy to read and use. I have sawn every species of tree that grows in the north east both hardwood and softwood. It's an excellent machine,they offer good support including

sharpening. I was very happy with the mill I had. I sold it this last fall and am missing it already. Might not be long before I have another. Would love a Super Hydralic or the LT50.

I can understand about you missing the mill. I've been wanting one for quite a while and sure wouldn't want to have to give one up. Did yours have a debarker? If so, how long did the debarker blade last? I've been making comparisons on debarker designs and that is what prompted me to inquire about it. When sawing hardwoods, how long could you go before changing bandsaw blades? I can totally understand why you wanted hydraulics. When I look at the open frame type mills like Lucas, I can see why the swing blade design is fast at cutting, but the setup process looks tiring. I'd rather have something that doesn't require me having to walk behind the cutter head. I know they have automated designs, but they don't have loading arms and Wood-Mizer does. The Wood-Mizer LT70 sure looks nice, but the price is not, especially when you add the options. :o

They used a Woodmizer here last year,I was impressed and I grew up with a Frick #1.They brought in an Amish guy to fine tune it as they had just bought it and were novices with a mill.A little VERY fine tuning made a big difference.

Still not as hard to set up and tune as a big portable circular sawmill.I'd buy one.

Yeah, I'm leaning more and more, towards the bandsaw mills. I'm not familiar with the Frick. Will have to study on that. Those Amish folks are sure hard workers and can produce some amazing things.

Have not looked real close but would have bought the wood mizer ($$ double others)

traveling and custom mill have them here 15 + years I know of

I've been surprised to see some of the smaller custom sawyers have manual mills. Just bare bones on everything, no options. I'd hate to cut several hundred board feet like that and also be the guy who felled the trees and hauled them to the mill. Talk about working for a living. My back would sure be tired.

OK, you blokes...what is the big deal with the 'debarker' attachment/option etc...???

In between all the other myriad jobs and running equipment etc...the boy and I cut a big Douglas Fir log into 4 x2's yesterday..this for our pending and ongoing workshop project...We have cut over 50 cubic meters of timber off this place , thus far,using a NZ made mill, very similiar to the Lucas mill..It is very basic..but set up properly, makes a neat job....and given the current 15 year high in export timber prices...(to one of 1966IH504's least desirable food 'seducing 'countries...sigh...)....the saves huge money when worked back on a linear metre basis, as compared to buying timber from the usual retail outlets...

..so tell me about the virtues of the debarker... :)

Mike

speaking of

neighbor sold some timber ??? 2010 prices up

they cut for 3 weeks pulled them out w/horses

once frozen tractorskidder pulled to landing nearly 500 logs average 4 per pull were enough w/o chains

2011 started loading out after extra premimum loaded out, price suddenly dropped to $15-35 a log

I told him stop loading fire woods worth at least 2x

OK, you blokes...what is the big deal with the 'debarker' attachment/option etc...???

In between all the other myriad jobs and running equipment etc...the boy and I cut a big Douglas Fir log into 4 x2's yesterday..this for our pending and ongoing workshop project...We have cut over 50 cubic meters of timber off this place , thus far,using a NZ made mill, very similiar to the Lucas mill..It is very basic..but set up properly, makes a neat job....and given the current 15 year high in export timber prices...(to one of 1966IH504's least desirable food 'seducing 'countries...sigh...)....the saves huge money when worked back on a linear metre basis, as compared to buying timber from the usual retail outlets...

Mike

Mike,

Sounds like you are one heck of a sawyer. Is it a swing blade design? I can understand about the Lucas type mills being more practical for certain folks. I've just had to handle a lot of large trees, that I have felled all by myself and just appreciate the idea of a mill that has hydraulics to do the heavy lifting for me. I have also been entertaining the idea of using a transfer table, that is at the same height of the mill, to effortlessly slide the fresh cut boards out of the way and maybe onto a conveyor. It's quite expensive (so is the mill), but I will have to make a closer examination on the mills, accessories, and the actual initial costs and maintenance. I sure won't argue with you about the speed of sawing with Lucas, Peterson, and similar type mills. What kind of man would I be, to argue with a fellow IH friend? ;)

I can understand about you missing the mill. I've been wanting one for quite a while and sure wouldn't want to have to give one up. Did yours have a debarker? If so, how long did the debarker blade last? I've been making comparisons on debarker designs and that is what prompted me to inquire about it. When sawing hardwoods, how long could you go before changing bandsaw blades? I can totally understand why you wanted hydraulics. When I look at the open frame type mills like Lucas, I can see why the swing blade design is fast at cutting, but the setup process looks tiring. I'd rather have something that doesn't require me having to walk behind the cutter head. I know they have automated designs, but they don't have loading arms and Wood-Mizer does. The Wood-Mizer LT70 sure looks nice, but the price is not, especially when you add the options. :o

I bought 1 new debarker blade in about 3000 hrs of operation. They can be resharpened over and over. Also a previous poster stated that the mill he used produced thick and thin lumber due to the cantilever sawhead design, he's wrong,the cantilever head is very accurate,the thick and thin lumber he is talking about is more likely due to stress in the log due to the way the tree grew compression and tension wood etc. This can be reduced by proper sawing techniques. Often times folks are trying for 16' lumber from a log that should have been cut to a shorter length.In my experience the lumber produced has the same bow and flex as the log it came from.Straight logs make straight and true lumber.

I bought 1 new debarker blade in about 3000 hrs of operation. They can be resharpened over and over. Also a previous poster stated that the mill he used produced thick and thin lumber due to the cantilever sawhead design, he's wrong,the cantilever head is very accurate,the thick and thin lumber he is talking about is more likely due to stress in the log due to the way the tree grew compression and tension wood etc. This can be reduced by proper sawing techniques. Often times folks are trying for 16' lumber from a log that should have been cut to a shorter length.In my experience the lumber produced has the same bow and flex as the log it came from.Straight logs make straight and true lumber.

Ok, that makes sense to me. Thanks very much for the information.

Mike

Mike: The debarker removes a strip of bark just ahead of the blade. It greatly reduces dulling from dirt and rocks embedded in the bark. These mills have automatic ones.

Look at 1:50 on this video.

http://www.woodmizer.com/us/Products/ManualSawmills/LT40PortableSawmill.aspx

debarker_01.jpg

You can get a manual one that mounts on a chainsaw.

My link

Mike

One of the band-sawmill accessories looks like the attached photo, but I'm not sure what it is. LOL :D

Try this site for sawmill info

The Forestry Forum under the Sawmill and milling subheading

Ok, thanks. I will take a look at it.

Been looking at some BAKER Products sawmills and other machines. The model 3665D sawmill looks to be a very rugged machine. I've never seen one in person, but I especially like the outriggers or stabilizer arms. Wish there was an easy way to test out several brands together in the same place and on the same day. DECISIONS DECISIONS :unsure:

BAKER makes several products aimed at pallet production. They make some machines I've never seen before and I've worked in various industrial environments and seen a lot. It's interesting to just learn about different design aspects and products.

. I've never seen one in person, but I especially like the outriggers or stabilizer arms. Wish there was an easy way to test out several brands together in the same place and on the same day. DECISIONS DECISIONS :unsure:

Contact several Co's and ask about trade shows/field day etc.

been to several demonstrations with several brands

That's a good idea. The WOOD-MIZER shows are usually quite a long ways away, but I will keep trying to attend one.

I dont own a portable mill, but I have had several board feet sawn up here on my place with a Wood-Mizer. He has been coming here for 10-12 years now and the only thing I dont like about his setup is the operater. Only guy around the area so I'm stuck with who I can get :lol: Over all seems to be a pretty tough mill.

Baker bought out Enercraft a number of years ago and combined the best of both their mills from what I was told by the fellow at Baker. Many years ago I put a hydraulic line on an Enercraft that had blown at a show near here. I was really impressed with the quality of the whole unit and the great attitude of the salesman. Like I said, if it wasn't for this Woodmizer turning up at an auction when I just happened to have the money and it being 1/2 of what used Baker mills were selling for...........I'd still be looking............probably for the rest of my life..........Some things do work out for the best. This LT40 hydraulic does exactly what I need to do.