Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dirty Offio

Source for brownie transmissions?

17 posts in this topic

I know that we are not supposed to list parts for sale on here, and that is not what I am looking for exactly. I would like to know if anyone knows of a wrecking yard for bigger trucks in Oregon, Washington, Idaho, or maybe western Montana. I am looking for one of the smaller 3 speed brownie's (out of an old ton and a quarter, or ton and a half.) I have a 68 4 door long box with a NP 435 4 speed. I would like to put in a Brownie to: Get an overdrive, and be able to split the difference between 2nd and 3rd when pulling a load.

Thanks! and Happy Holidays!

Offio

What is a "Brownie" transmission? I have never heard of a transmission referred to as a "Brownie".

Harold H

I know that we are not supposed to list parts for sale on here, and that is not what I am looking for exactly. I would like to know if anyone knows of a wrecking yard for bigger trucks in Oregon, Washington, Idaho, or maybe western Montana. I am looking for one of the smaller 3 speed brownie's (out of an old ton and a quarter, or ton and a half.) I have a 68 4 door long box with a NP 435 4 speed. I would like to put in a Brownie to: Get an overdrive, and be able to split the difference between 2nd and 3rd when pulling a load.

Thanks! and Happy Holidays!

Offio

I have seen some brownies on Ebay.

Many of the dirt hauling loadstars in the 60's ran them.

I think a 9 speed eaton would be simpler if you could make room for it.

The air shift could be a problem.

I have always wanted one of the twin countershaft air shifted Roadrangers in a light truck. Someone already pointed out that the roadranger would take up most of the cab and the stick would hit the overhead and a pull clutch would be a problem for a 460 ford gasser. Plus the thing has no synchronizers in the 5 speed section.

My RTXF-14609B waits for install.

The service manuals are free and every truck tranny shop in the world can fix-um

I guess I saw this post the day it appeared - really don't have any clues where to look in your part of the world, just have to start with any yards that have some trucks and the look at some of the lighter end of tandens, like F-1800 I-H -60/65 series Gm etc. If I was home I could give you the Spicer # that works best for install into light duty. The I-h # is AT-501 or code 13501 on the line setting ticket. Think the Spicer # is 5231, but not sure on that for a under,direct,OD 3 speed. Originally these types of geare boxes were made by Brown LIpe and the nickname brownie just kind of endured thru the Spicer generation. edit -forgot to clarify brownie refered to auxiliary transmissions

Rick/mn

I remember a gear box for lighter trucks called a ranger ,but I thing it was just a 2 speed.Not sure but I think it was avallabe in UD/D or D/OD.They were a lot smaller and lighter than 4sd aux

Harold, I was going to explain "brownie". but dieselrick explained it perfectly.

Oleman, Yeah, the airshift would be a problem, not to mention the sheer sizr of the thing. The lack of synchros would not bother me (brownies ain't got 'em either), I drive truck for a living. I agree a RR in a pickup would be cool tho! Oh, and I saw the ones on ebay also. Unfortunately those people are smoking some really bad stuff...or were when they decided on thier starting prices at any rate! lol I can buy an entire truck for $800 with a brownie, (the truck is 150 miles away, on the opposite side of seattle), I fail to see how the people listing the brownies expect the bidding to start at $1000.

Dieselrick, Thanks for the info! I will write those down so I have some #'s to play with!

John R, The ranger is a 2 speed auxillary trans that can either be installed as a direct/overdrive, or as an underdrive/direct depending on which way you installed it. What I am looking for is a 3 speed auxillary transmission, that is under/direct/overdrive. They were installed in some 1 1/4 ton and heavier trucks.

For anyone who is not quite sure what I am talking about, go to youtube and type in twin stick shifting. That will show you how they run, even if they do not show the box itself. Here is a link if it will let me post it.

Cheers!

My dad had a gmc tandum with the 3 speed brownie your looking for he took it out when the motor went bad and he put a bigger motor in and had to revamp the trans. to fit . I'll try and get over there this weekend and see if he still has it and get back to you .

My dad had a gmc tandum with the 3 speed brownie your looking for he took it out when the motor went bad and he put a bigger motor in and had to revamp the trans. to fit . I'll try and get over there this weekend and see if he still has it and get back to you .

Thanks John!

Sorry but it slipped my mind . I'll give him a call in the morning a give you a post asap.

I called dad a little bit ago and he doesn't have it anymore . He said he gave it to his brother in law .He was going to put it in a house trailer hauling rig to get better fuel economy . Sorry

You need a Gear Vendors OD, or a Ranger OD. The gear vendors is a second box behind the main trans that is electricaly shifted and is self contained, runs alot like a 2spd rear in a larger truck. They work good but are expensive. A ranger OD is made by Atlas I believe(Ones who sell the famous Atlas II t-cases).....It mounts between the engine and trans and give you a second range(OD in all gears). Its manually shifted. I don't know if a ranger is available for your application though.

Probably with a Brownie is its really too big and bulky for what you want to do IMO.

You need a Gear Vendors OD, or a Ranger OD. The gear vendors is a second box behind the main trans that is electricaly shifted and is self contained, runs alot like a 2spd rear in a larger truck. They work good but are expensive. A ranger OD is made by Atlas I believe(Ones who sell the famous Atlas II t-cases).....It mounts between the engine and trans and give you a second range(OD in all gears). Its manually shifted. I don't know if a ranger is available for your application though.

Probably with a Brownie is its really too big and bulky for what you want to do IMO.

A brownie from a 10 wheeler is probably too big, if I can find one from a 1 1/4 ton to a 2 ton they will fit plenty fine. The truck has a divorced transfer case, and the smaller box will slip right into the space between the main box and the t-case.

I agree the the gear vendors units are nice...but I am not going to spend the better part of what I have in the whole truck to buy 1 piece for it. I can shift a brownie, and I know it will work if I can find the right box. A 2 speed box would work fine, provided it is a direct/over box.

Thanks for the advice tho!

Cheers!

Had a 4 speed brownie in our Paystar dumptrucks with a Allison trans in front of it. Worked very well I still have one in the shop that was total rebuilt then went through a flood.

Had a 4 speed brownie in our Paystar dumptrucks with a Allison trans in front of it. Worked very well I still have one in the shop that was total rebuilt then went through a flood.

That's a drag that it went thru a flood. If you went to sell it, what would you want for it?

Cheers!

Offio

I was looking at our 9 speed eaton the other day. Tore into it and checked out the shift tower, looks perfect. Rusty outside put perfect on the inside.

The eaton is very large and looks like it belongs begind a Cat 3406 which it does.

Book says it weighs 670# without clutch or bell.

I also have a 1950's Detroit 3-71 configured for a boat motor. That was overhauled for a new boat (sailboat) in the past 5 years and very little used. I run it monthly at least 30 minuts to keep it sweet!

If I can get a clutch and other attachments I am again considering using the 3-71 on the road.

I will probably never use it as a boat motor and I like the sound of the old Detroit chugging along.

Old man I once knew said he once ran a 57 GMC CO Semi that ran a 3-71 (little slow but always the trip).

My current thinking is to assemble and checkout the 3-71/RTX-9 and thin find it a new home in something I can get a title for.

If the Ford F350 is not big enough I will look for something stronger.

I believe an Isuzu NPR would fill the requirements.

Sell all the other projects around here and concentrate on a 3-71 Detroit powered rig

Been a while since there's been any activity on this thread, but I just noticed there are a couple 3 spd aux trans. available on the truck section of Yesterdays Tractors

Rick/mn

What is a "Brownie" transmission? I have never heard of a transmission referred to as a "Brownie".

Harold H

An auxilary transmission for trucks.

Originally called a "BROWN-LIPE" (manufacturer's name) Later "Spicer Brown-Lipe".

The "Brownie" or "Brownline" (???) name seems to be North American nickname.

Regards from Michael H.