Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

baart38

IH Corn Pickers

Was looking through the IH collection at the Wis Historical Society this morning for corn pickers. There are several images of pickers on Super C's. Did IH ever sell one for a smaller tractor like that or were they just prototypes. I also like this one that is on an MTA. Has a futuristic look to it. Is this a sweet corn picker or prototype that wasn't sold. I assume that is an IH building in the background.

post-1947-129026195784_thumb.jpg

Neighbor had one for his Super C. Don't know what the number was but he picked a lot of corn with it.

Mike

From the experience I've had with mounted pickers of IH manufacture I just can't picture a Super C carrying much of any type picker let alone a two row, they're just too "gangley". That is to say they just aren't that strong a built tractor. Now I've cultivated with a Super C and 2 row mounted cultivator and everywhere except on the most wicked sidehills the tractor was plenty stable enough and it was a nice outfit to operate and you could do a really good job. But a cultivator is one thing and a corn picker is something else. I can't imagine a C or Super C under a model 24 mounted picker...especially pulling a wagon loaded with 80-100 bushels of ear corn behind it. C's were nice tractors but just not enough there to mount a picker on.

There were a couple of neighbors who had those "off to one side" semi-mounted model 101 John Deere pickers mounted on JD B tractors and they were okay on the level but on hills they had their troubles sliding off the slope. I picture early styled and unstyled JD B's as being about the same weight and strength as the C model Farmalls...and about the same (styled) to 5 less (unstyled) horsepower.

I sure don't remember a picker like that one. Looks like a 2ME with the 234 sides on it. looks good..

I believe the picker they built for Super C was a one row unit. Basically one side of of a #24.

yes it was a one row snapper picker #14 just half of a #24

I believe the picker they built for Super C was a one row unit. Basically one side of of a #24.

yes it was a one row snapper picker #14 just half of a #24

Yeah, I guess that would work in fairly level fields and not try to pull too big a loaded wagon....never happened to see one. For sure it would be better than trying to put a 101 JD picker on on a H JD tractor.

Was looking through the IH collection at the Wis Historical Society this morning for corn pickers. There are several images of pickers on Super C's. Did IH ever sell one for a smaller tractor like that or were they just prototypes. I also like this one that is on an MTA. Has a futuristic look to it. Is this a sweet corn picker or prototype that wasn't sold. I assume that is an IH building in the background.

I've seen that picture before, think it was in wone of my books, but can't remember which one. I think it was a snapper version of the 2M-E, or a sweet corn picker. Also think the pic was taken in frt of the IH East Moline Plant where the picker was probably built.

I have a Farmall c with a 2-C11 snapper on it. Pulls it fine with a light wagon load behind it.. If you have the husking beds you need a Super C to pull it.

I have a Farmall c with a 2-C11 snapper on it. Pulls it fine with a light wagon load behind it.. If you have the husking beds you need a Super C to pull it.

That would be very nimble and unique

Wow, a C with a picker! Dad had his on a SMTA and said it was not enough when the wagons got full in some adverse weather. Course we had pretty good size wagons then. Always thought he should have had a 234 on an 826, but we went to a pull type picker. Dad bought a new JD 300 and picked with it until 1990. I picked thousands of bushels with that thing. Only JD piece we ever owned, was a good picker even though it was green.