Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

darrenmn

1939 farmall h timing points

I just bought my great great grandfather 1939 farmall h when i found It it was in pices on the guys yeard I got it going !! took 4 days as it was all a part carb off frount end off you name it I have two theings maby some one could help me with when I put the power stering back on it had no fludid in it I put 30 w it says Char-lynn had 30w on hand and had to get it out of there so I put it in BUT what should I be using ? and I think the point timing is off as the trector is missing I tested the compersion all with in 5 pounds I went though the carb and re bilt it. But I was not alive when thay stoped useing points so maby some one can help me make shour they are set right I found the point gap but do not know how to find top dead center on the no 1 piston ? how do I test the 6V Coil is it like a car ware you test the resistince?? to see if it is aney goods? aney thoughts??

A miss is not normally where you are looking. Try this.

1) With the cap, rotor and dust cover off the distributor, turn the engine over slowly until the points are open at their

widest. You will see the rubbing block on the points ride up on the bump on the distributor shaft. There are four bumps

for four cylinders. It don't matter which bump it is on. Now, set the points at 0.025.

2) Look inside the cap. If there is any cracks, nasty looking dust, then get a new one. The spark will go to the wrong

cylinder and cause a miss if cracked or what they call carbon tracking. If in doubt, replace it.

3) Look at the tip of the rotor. It is usually brass. If that is eaten away, replace that too.

4) If this is running on 3 cylinders, it is normally not your coil.

5) Look also at the plug wires. If bad, replace them. Usually due to cracks in the rubber, the boots on the plugs are

gone, etc..

6) Replace all four spark plugs, if not already done! These are generally the culprit. Set these at 0.025 also.

Start it up and see what happens. The miss should be gone.

If not, with good compression like you said, then you need to adjust the carburetor as that may be to rich or lean.

The 30wt in the Char-Lynn is what was used back then.

You can use Hy-Tran, or the equivalent. It generally don't matter as long as it has oil and not something thick like 90 wt.

Let us know how the project turns out and good luck.

A miss is not normally where you are looking. Try this.

1) With the cap, rotor and dust cover off the distributor, turn the engine over slowly until the points are open at their

widest. You will see the rubbing block on the points ride up on the bump on the distributor shaft. There are four bumps

for four cylinders. It don't matter which bump it is on. Now, set the points at 0.025.

2) Look inside the cap. If there is any cracks, nasty looking dust, then get a new one. The spark will go to the wrong

cylinder and cause a miss if cracked or what they call carbon tracking. If in doubt, replace it.

3) Look at the tip of the rotor. It is usually brass. If that is eaten away, replace that too.

4) If this is running on 3 cylinders, it is normally not your coil.

5) Look also at the plug wires. If bad, replace them. Usually due to cracks in the rubber, the boots on the plugs are

gone, etc..

6) Replace all four spark plugs, if not already done! These are generally the culprit. Set these at 0.025 also.

Start it up and see what happens. The miss should be gone.

If not, with good compression like you said, then you need to adjust the carburetor as that may be to rich or lean.

The 30wt in the Char-Lynn is what was used back then.

You can use Hy-Tran, or the equivalent. It generally don't matter as long as it has oil and not something thick like 90 wt.

Let us know how the project turns out and good luck.

A '39 should have a mag? Points are set at .013".

Allan

Allan is right with the mag points set at .013----------------and make sure the points are clean/bright. You should be able to see a strong blue spark popping across the points-----also should be able to get the strong blue spark popping from the coil wire to the ground screw on the side of the magneto.

(it might run on a light orange colored spark------but the orange is a sign of less spark than desired; keep cleaning---------adjusting until you get the blue spark)------once you ever test the orange vs blue spark on your finger--------you will better understand the difference. :wacko:;)

The mag can be mounted 180 degrees out of time real easy--------to locate top dead center on #1, hold your finger over the #1 spark plug hole and gently bump the engine over to feel for the compression stroke. With the piston at top dead center----------then match your plug wires according to the firing order. You should be somewhere in the ball park with your timing. Additional small adjustments in timing can then be made with the slotted hole arrangement on the front mounting bolts of the mag----------adjust to smoothest running position at idle speed. You should be good to go "timing wise".

I have opened up the coil cover and cleaned the contact points on the coil and solved numerous "bad coil" situations-------lots of times its just corrosion.

I do like Diesel Doctor's statement: "A miss is not normally where you are looking"

That's some good advice----------seems like that is always the case!!!! :o:blink:

Delta Dirt

Avon, Ms 38723

A 39 maybe should have a mag, but a lot of early letter series were changed over to an early after market Delco Remy distributor.

I Put in new plug wires and new roter and new plugs Its

so the dittobur cap dosent turn to set the piston timing ?

yes it is Delco Remy distributor I also have the Delco Remy 6v generator I tester the generator pushes curnt< put in new brushes generator armature looked good but dose this have a bit of tarnish on it. How is the 6v generator voltage regulatoilted ? Took to a gret guy in minneapolis had the brushers and tested it he siad that the the thing on the top of it was some kind of one way swich so the delco remy wont moter and kill the 8v battery I am using. BUT IT DOSE NOT regulated the V GOSE UP AND DOWN and was never ment to so HOW is the V regulatied in the box with the lights on it ? It showes 5AMP on the gage in this box when I pull out the kill swich TO start it Is this cus of the 8V? or do I have a V loss? SO DO ANEY OF YOU GUYS KNOW HOW TO SET THE POINTS ON THE ONE WAY SWICH ON THE Delco Remy IT IS AN electromagnet that sems to go in one way how do I set the points on IT so It Will work With the 8V battery what is the point gap for 8v