Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cm228

Farmall Train

28 posts in this topic

Well my first installment of the Farmall traiin came today. I got it from the Bradford exchange. I was going to put a link to their site but their having some technical difficultly dry.gif so the pic's I took will have to suffice. rolleyes.gif You can find the train on bradford's site by googling farmall train set.

First is the outside of the foam shipping package

001.jpg

left side view and cert of authenticity

002.jpg

front view

003.jpg

Right side and rear view's

004.jpg

005.jpg

Matt

P.S. links working now

http://www.bradfordexchange.com/products/917318_farmall-train.html?epm=ctc

That's cool....I've seen those advertised.

Was there a real Farmall train?

...........Mark

That's cool....I've seen those advertised.

Was there a real Farmall train?

...........Mark

I've never heard of one, but that doesn't mean there couldn't have been one. Maybe some of the train experts on here will chime in

Matt

IH owned several different RR locomotives over the years in "real life". Someday, I'll get a story put together that shows some of the IH diesel-electrics they owned. They were painted red and have the IH on them.

IH EVEN OWNED THEIR OWN IRON ORE FRIEGHTER AT ONE TIME.

IH owned several different RR locomotives over the years in "real life". Someday, I'll get a story put together that shows some of the IH diesel-electrics they owned. They were painted red and have the IH on them.

...Ken...

That would be a wonderful article...I'd wondered about the "Real Train" ever since I saw the model advertised.

IH EVEN OWNED THEIR OWN IRON ORE FRIEGHTER AT ONE TIME.

...farmall666...

I've seen pictures of IH's freighter before, I think that was one reason I figured a train wouldn't be a stretch.

..............Mark

Was the IH freighter painted up special or did it look like any normal rail car? Anyone with pic's feel free to post um

Matt

Was the IH freighter painted up special or did it look like any normal rail car? Anyone with pic's feel free to post um

Matt

The "Freighter" I was speaking of was a large ocean going vessel. I saw pictures of it in a book I read (A Corporate Tragedy?).

That is why I wondered if there was a real train...I never saw it if there was.

...........Mark

Matt

The "Freighter" I was speaking of was a large ocean going vessel. I saw pictures of it in a book I read (A Corporate Tragedy?).

That is why I wondered if there was a real train...I never saw it if there was.

...........Mark

Oh now I feel like the dummy in the room HAHA

Matt

IH had their own switch engines at Farmall Works, East Moline Combine Works and probably Canton Works. I remember they were EMD switchers, probably either SW-600 or SW-900 models. I don't remember if they were red or black but I do remember they had a big IH on each side of the hood. There may have also been one at Memphis Works but I don't ever recall seeing it if there was.

Harold H

In addition to the works's switching locomotives, IHC also had a corporate airplane in the late 40's and early 50's. It was a silver DC-3 with a big IH painted on each side of the vertical tail. One time when the airplane was at the old Greenville, Mississippi Municipal Airport, the pilot accidentally taxied off of the paved parking apron and got stuck in the mud. The plane had to be pulled out with tractors from the dealership.

Harold H

IH had their own switch engines at Farmall Works, East Moline Combine Works and probably Canton Works. I remember they were EMD switchers, probably either SW-600, SW-900, or SW-1200 models. I don't remember if they were red or black but I do remember they had a big IH on them. There may have also been one at Memphis Works but I don't ever recall seeing it if there was.

Harold H

In earlier times, ie 20's, 30's and 40's, several of the IHC's works had their own steam engine switchers.

Harold H

You can follow thread on real IHC trains on the General IH Board.

Harold H

IH had their own switch engines at Farmall Works, East Moline Combine Works and probably Canton Works. I remember they were EMD switchers, probably either SW-600, SW-900, or SW-1200 models. I don't remember if they were red or black but I do remember they had a big IH on them. There may have also been one at Memphis Works but I don't ever recall seeing it if there was.

Harold H

In earlier times, ie 20's, 30's and 40's, several of the IHC's works had their own steam engine switchers.

Harold H

If anyone wants to make a model of the real 50's & 60's era IHC Works switchers, they should have either a SW600 or SW900 model. It can be painted either solid black or solid red. The real ones probably started out black and were repainted red later on. Place a large IH decal almost the full height of the hood centered on either side of the hood. The locomotive number was on the cab under the window but I don;t remember the number series so you can use the number of your choice. This will make a very close copy of the Farmall, East Moline, Canton, and possaby other Works switchers of the 50's and 60's era.

Harold H

Well my first installment of the Farmall traiin came today. I got it from the Bradford exchange. I was going to put a link to their site but their having some technical difficultly dry.gif so the pic's I took will have to suffice. rolleyes.gif You can find the train on bradford's site by googling farmall train set.

First is the outside of the foam shipping package

001.jpg

left side view and cert of authenticity

002.jpg

front view

003.jpg

Right side and rear view's

004.jpg

005.jpg

Matt

P.S. links working now

http://www.bradfordexchange.com/products/917318_farmall-train.html?epm=ctc

oh i see this will be a set and it comes out piece by piece

i'm not much of a train guy but i might have to but that set

oh i see this will be a set and it comes out piece by piece

i'm not much of a train guy but i might have to but that set

At the bottom of my first post in this tread there is a link to the site where I got the train from. Yes it is one of those installment deals, every so many weeks (not exactly sure how many) they send another piece

Matt

Very nice.:wub:

What you have is a powered A unit and a unpowered "dummy" B unit in the world of trains.

Any idea of who made those units?

Pretty cool set. For a model train nut/correct police it wouldn't be anything special to down right criminal. The cars with the drop center are far to new to have been behind an F7. Plus they didn't run 6 wheel trucks in that day.

Now me I own 2 IH/Farmall tractors, 1206 and an M. Plus the Ford 8N. So what did I get for Christmas a few years ago? A JD train set :blink: ....

Rick

Rick,

As far as the time line, railroads did have heavy duty drop center flat cars in the 40's and 50's which was the prime time for F units. They often had six or eight wheel trucks or some with even more. The drop center flats were generally used for large heavy objects like, large boilers, power plant generators, transformers, etc. Also most heavy weight passenger cars from the teens thru the 40's also had six wheel trucks. The main incorrect thing is that Farmalls were not delivered on heavy duty drop center flat cars. They were delivered on standard 40 or 50 foot flat cars. The tricycle tractors were laced nose to nose to get the maximum number of tractors on each car.

Harold H

What you have is a powered A unit and a unpowered "dummy" B unit in the world of trains.

Any idea of who made those units?

Pretty cool set. For a model train nut/correct police it wouldn't be anything special to down right criminal. The cars with the drop center are far to new to have been behind an F7. Plus they didn't run 6 wheel trucks in that day.

Now me I own 2 IH/Farmall tractors, 1206 and an M. Plus the Ford 8N. So what did I get for Christmas a few years ago? A JD train set :blink: ....

Rick

Got another car today so I thought I'd add a few more pic's

I had actually got the cattle car a few weeks ago, I just hadn't got pic's taken until today

005.jpg

006.jpg

004.jpg

003.jpg

That is a 40 foot cattle car. They used to be real common but I believe Union Pacific had the last cattle car move about eight or ten years ago. As far as I know, none are still in service on the railroads today. Nice looking addition to your set. What is the next car in the series supposed to be?

Harold H

Got another car today so I thought I'd add a few more pic's

I had actually got the box car a few weeks ago, I just hadn't got pic's taken until today

005.jpg

006.jpg

004.jpg

003.jpg

Harold

I knew that was a cattle car, and for some reason I typed box car and didn't realize is it. Thanks for pointing that out.

I have no idea what the next car will be

Matt

Wow it's been a while since I updated this thread. I got the caboose today, so the set is now complete. I see some of my pic's got messed up in the thread because I pulled a brain dead manuver and moved some pic's around on my photobucket page. Not to worry I've got all new pic's for you all to see

Complete set

047.jpg

048.jpg

049.jpg

050.jpg

I've got photos of each individual car, I you all want to see them I'll load a few at a time

Matt