This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I have an Irrigation question

28 posts in this topic

I sure don't know a lot of the story, they bought up land and developed pivot irrigation. But they were trying to raise unconventional crops for the area, using fresh out of college kids for management, and it was a huge flop.

What are the taxes? Per acre or per gallon? On an average year how many acre/feet of water are you alloted?

Sorry for all the questions. We're all underground water here. I'm 20-30 miles from the Mississippi river and that replenishes our table so water is good here. 1800 gpm on a well is average with the average depth around 120-140 feet deep.

I can't remember the exact rate on the taxes. They measure the water in "inches" cubic inches I suppose. around here water rights mainly consist of 1 "inch" per acre of land. So on the home forty I have 40" of water rights. And last year the taxes were around $950 give or take. Only thing is I don't get to water with all 40". If we have a good water year they let us have 3/4" per acre because for some reason they have to have a certain amount to spill at the end I guess. So on a good year the home 40 only gets watered with 30". If it is a mediocre water year we may only get 5/8". And when it is dry and crappy we get cut back to a 1/2". I don't know if any of you run gated pipe down corrugates much where you are but on the 40 acres place, everything is furrow irrigated out of gated pipe down the corrugate. If I don't have hardly any leaks in my pipe and things are as they should be on a good year set at 3/4" so 30" of water total, I can set 25+- gates open so 40 acres gets watered roughly 25 corrugates at a time mellow.gif . And we won't even talk about if I get cut back to 20 inches lol. It's a challenge for sure.

In the Lower Rio Grande Valley, the irrigation water, at least in the water district that supplied the water for my parent's grapefruit orchard was measured in HOURS. The allotment was for such and such number of hours of water, and if you wanted more, you had to purchase it from someone who wasn't going to use his. It was all flood irrigation, with the water taken out of the Rio Grande. In fact, I do not ever remember seeing either center pivots, or pipe for irrigation, for vegetables, they would use V-ditches and siphon hoses.

The Edinburg Canal was the North boundary on their place, but their water came across the canal in a little flume, from the water district's pumping station about 2 miles NW of their place. The yards on the older homes all had outlets off the underground water lines to flood the yard. The water from the river has so much salt in it, that the grass takes on a yellow tinge, and after a rain that pushes the salt further down out of the root zone, the grass will become bright green.

Foxley Feeders has been around for a long, long time. I remember their first yard was just west of Venice, NE., before the big yard was built south of Meade, near the old ammunition plant. The last time I went past where the old yard was it was being developed with houses, all with a view of the Platte.

Tearing up the Sandhills for agriculture made about as much sense as when Gates Rubber came into Eastern Colorado and plowed up all that rangeland, used up most of the water, went out of business, and left the country.

I wish I could remember the name of the feedyard just outside of Broken Bow, on the road south, towards Oconto, it was Adams, IIRC.

Ya Adams Land and Cattle. It was always speculated that I'm Bob Peterson (IBP) accually owned it in a round about way. They also own a smaller one just east of Broken Bow.

The best Foxleys story I've heard was they started chopping silage. Backed the trucks up to the edge of the pit and dumped over. Kept shoving it over the edge or what ever. Nobody realized untill too late an 8630 was along the wall and was well covered and packed with silage before anybody figured it out.

If you put enough manure on it it is amazing what will grow. My neighbor farms ground on the back side of Foxleys. One pivot averaged over 200 bu an acre. This was a dry year when to pot holes got planted on time and didn't drowned out and manure was spread the year before. Then same conditions except no manure didn't do 70 stright through. Stuff rents for roughly $70 an acre