Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Farmall Doctor

New Splitting Stands

11 posts in this topic

I know you folks like looking at splitting stands, so here are a few pictures of the ones that I just finished building. They are similar to the ones that I have used for the last 16 years at the shop, but a bit heavier, and with more adjustment for height. They will work on any tractor that has side rails on them, but if you split a 666 or 686 you need to make some adapters to keep the engine attached to the rails.. I made those also but don't have a picture handy. Anyhoo, enjoy!

Darryn

IMG_0757.jpg

IMG_0729.jpg

IMG_0728.jpg

OH, and here's a video of milling the slots with my VERY old Van Norman Milling Machine.

http://www.youtube.com/user/FarmallDoctor?...u/0/GlGeF0n_JzA

I know you folks like looking at splitting stands, so here are a few pictures of the ones that I just finished building. They are similar to the ones that I have used for the last 16 years at the shop, but a bit heavier, and with more adjustment for height. They will work on any tractor that has side rails on them, but if you split a 666 or 686 you need to make some adapters to keep the engine attached to the rails.. I made those also but don't have a picture handy. Anyhoo, enjoy!

Darryn

OH, and here's a video of milling the slots with my VERY old Van Norman Milling Machine.

http://www.youtube.com/user/FarmallDoctor?...u/0/GlGeF0n_JzA

Thanks Darryn,

we are in the process of making a set, this gives us some more ideas.

How thick are the flat irons?

Ray

Cool stuff!

Ray- the uprights are 1" thick by 4" and the stabilizer bars are 2" by 1/2". I can get you the other dimensions tomorrow if you wish.

Darryn

Mine have swivel casters , they are a problem .

I notice yours have straight casters .

Nice stands. Watched the video and got sidetracked watching all the other videos of the IH engines and 86 series and such. Id say I would have to disagree some with the guy claiming the 86 series operator location made a better ride. :rolleyes:

Mine have swivel casters , they are a problem .

I notice yours have straight casters .

Tommy,

Straight casters are great......unless you are replacing an engine, have limited space, or your front tires aren't exactly straight. I put swivel casters on mine about a year or so ago and I love it.....once in awhile it helps to have another person to help you out, but that's the only problem. If nobody else is there, I just have a 2x4 to block the opposite wheel.

Travis

neat idea

better than the one we have i beleive it was one out of a dealer somewhere and it is big.

Sparky....the wheels or "casters" don't swivel on their own, but remember they are on the thread, so they do turn wherever I need them to..works excellent.

Ray- the uprights are 1" thick by 4" and the stabilizer bars are 2" by 1/2". I can get you the other dimensions tomorrow if you wish.

Darryn

Yes please.

I have some 1"x6" flat so that should work.

Ray

Darryn

Sorry double post.