Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IHC Mark

IH 560 factory Turbos

13 posts in this topic

I told someone never, and they replied that the turbo from a TD-14 was used to make a few 560 Diesel Turbos near the end of their factor run.

What's the story, historians??

I told someone never, and they replied that the turbo from a TD-14 was used to make a few 560 Diesel Turbos near the end of their factor run.

IH never offered or built a turbo kit for the 560. However IH did offer a turbo on the td9 91 series with 282. Dealers put together a kit containing parts from the TD9 and sold them to 460/560 owners to get a little more out of them. The initial reason was for tractors used in the high altitude states.

RR

What's the story, historians??

I think it was an add on that could be bought at dealer level as a kit and installed. Don't think it ever rolled out the door from the factory with them on. Surely are some on here with more solid evidence than I can provide.

And the kit he is speaking of would have been off of a TD9. the version built at about that time ran a 282 with a turbo

ed

The dealership that I started at had the papers in the service books for the kit, from what they told me it was an add on only. My boss told me they came out with the kit so they could keep up with 6 cyl JD until IH came out with the 06 series tractors in 1963.

Danny

The dealership that I started at had the papers in the service books for the kit, from what they told me it was an add on only. My boss told me they came out with the kit so they could keep up with 6 cyl JD until IH came out with the 06 series tractors in 1963.

Danny

well said danny

Around here the turbo and related parts were called the Colorado "high altitude" kit. They would wake a 460 and a 606 up also!!!

Around here the turbo and related parts were called the Colorado "high altitude" kit. They would wake a 460 and a 606 up also!!!

That should be correct, probably none of them actually rolled out of the factory that way but it was available field installed from IH, and is in the 560 parts book as a high altitude kit.

A turbo kit for 560s is listed in a 1966 Parts and Accessories catalog that i have.It says "When properly installed this Turbocharger can provide your 560 diesel tractor with improved fuel economy and full rated horspower at higher altitudes. All necessary installation parts-plus a new 176 cfm capacity dry-type air cleaner - are included. See us for proper installation." Part number 407 055 R91. $462.00

Thanks for the 560 discussion. I'm learning and enjoying what I am learning all the time on this forum.

Danny

yup,i can get a pic of the break down from the factory service manual.the air cleaner mounted on top of the hood,etc

this is very interesting, where did the stack come out with the turbo? same place?

If memory serves me it was a good bit forward of the stock exhaust, and the air cleaner was in front of the steering wheel.

I have a neighbor that still has one. May try to get some pictures later.

...........................Mark

Mine exhaust come out ahead of the stock hole and it had the dry air cleaner that went under the fuel tank.

Danny