Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ihred62

oil cooler leaking coolant on 1086

11 posts in this topic

I noticed my oil cooler is leaking coolant out of the 2 round ports that go to front of engine. I am assuming there are o rings to replace in there. When I take it off will I just need 2 o rings and 2 gaskets where it mounts to side of engine? I have seen tractors with new ones on, is there any thing else I should look for? I do not have coolant in my engine oil. My tractor is 1977 model with 6000 hours on it.

O-rings and gaskets is all you will need.

I noticed my oil cooler is leaking coolant out of the 2 round ports that go to front of engine. I am assuming there are o rings to replace in there. When I take it off will I just need 2 o rings and 2 gaskets where it mounts to side of engine? I have seen tractors with new ones on, is there any thing else I should look for? I do not have coolant in my engine oil. My tractor is 1977 model with 6000 hours on it.

I was hoping that was all I needed. Why do I see some tractors with new ones on. Do they rot out inside from lack of changing coolant on a regular basis or do they crack or something else? Just wondering?

Our 1586 started geting oil in anti. because oil pressure is higher than coolant pressure. Also happened on our 1640 with Cummins real fun to get oil washed out of cooling system many rinses with Dawn dish soap.

Had to replace the oil cooler on our 1086,was leaking oil ito the coolant, replacing the cooler was easy but getting the oil cleaned out of the cooling system was a pain. they must go bad from age and vibration finally a line inside cracks and leaks. ours went over 10000hrs, you see one every once in awhile that has been replaced, usually can tell by it being a diffrent color, white or black, didnt take the time to paint it red

The 986 I had lost it's cooler at 7000 hours, I just kept adding coolant and letting the oil go out the top after I changed the cooler.

I was hoping that was all I needed. Why do I see some tractors with new ones on. Do they rot out inside from lack of changing coolant on a regular basis or do they crack or something else? Just wondering?

Really only two reasons to change a cooler...leakage and if an engine has had a failure that would send metal through the lubricating system. The oil cooler could trap metal debris and cannot be thoroughly cleaned without dis-assembly. (three reasons if you count paranoia from reading unrealistic mechanical horror stories on internet forums <_< )

The internal failures could occur due to a number of reasons, brazed joint failure, cracking due to repeated heat/cooling cycles, rot from poor cooling system maintenance etc.

Jim N.

there is a o ring on each end of the short pipes you will need 4 o rings. and gaskets.

there is a o ring on each end of the short pipes you will need 4 o rings. and gaskets.

Had them go on 2 of my tractors, one just after a rebuild. Nothing like having to clean your rad out twice. If you think the internet gives you paranoia how about before you start a tractor in the spring you pull the oil plug and check for anti frize just in case. A new rebuilt one is around 400 dollars.

Weapon