Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mark from WI

Soil Finisher or Field Cultivator?

My brother and I are going to take over the family farm here in the next year or so and we are starting to put a game plan together on updating some of the machinery dad has and we are kinda at a crossroads on what is better since we have no experience with either one! That being said I would like your guys opinions on what would work better for us and why. What we plan on doing is moldboard plowing the sod ground for corn and then running over it once then plant it. Also we want to be able to run over old corn ground (without stalks) once then plant. I myself was thinking the Finisher would work better since it has a row of disks in the front. Also what size of either could we pull with our 1256 w/duals and it weighs 14,000lbs and runs around 130hp. Thanks in advance.

I have a 25' JD 1010(Sorry) That I pull with my 1566. It has no trouble at all with that field cultivator. I pulled it a little last year with my 966 with duals and fluid in the inside rear. don't know for sure but I'm guessing it around 12-12,500lbs. I didn't have any traction issues but was short on HP. 3Lo it was good on power but only traveling about 4-4.5mph. In 4Lo it was more like 5.5-6 mph gradually lost rpm's all the way across the field. Just not quite enough Hp. It is at factory settings which is supposed to be 105hp but I've never dynoed it. I think a 1256 @14,000lbs and 130hp would handle my 25 footer alright.

don't know about the soil finisher as I've never pulled one. Local guy that I know has a 16' landoll that he pulls with a 2-135 white with duals. He didn't talk like he was having any trouble with it, but I didn't ask.

Joe

we had a bushog finisher for a couple of years, hated the darn thing. pulled hard and didnt do that great of a job. i think a good high clearance field cult is better imo. plus they pull WAY easier. if you still want to go the finisher route, talk to several people who have actully used them before you buy.

I have a Landall 15.5 ft soil finisher and I have been around them for many years and if you dont have over 500 acres it will work great. They don't ridge and they have the grader blade reel on the back and it will give you a nice seed bed. The corn we have today wont rot down over the winter so you might have to chop your stocks in the fall and then chisel plow. One pass in the spring then plant.

Danny

I have a Landall 15.5 ft soil finisher and I have been around them for many years and if you dont have over 500 acres it will work great. They don't ridge and they have the grader blade reel on the back and it will give you a nice seed bed. The corn we have today wont rot down over the winter so you might have to chop your stocks in the fall and then chisel plow. One pass in the spring then plant.

Danny

Would a 1256 handle a 15 footer? And we only have around 100 acres to till. Would you be able to run a finisher over a corn field once that has been chopped for silage and not use a chisel plow and be able to plant some winter rye?

Danny

Would a 1256 handle a 15 footer? And we only have around 100 acres to till. Would you be able to run a finisher over a corn field once that has been chopped for silage and not use a chisel plow and be able to plant some winter rye?

i have a ih 1086 with duals with a 15.5 foot landol finisher. I need more traction in plowed fields. I found a nh8670 super steer handles it good. i have heavy clay so the ground has to be dry and one pass and you will have a good seed bed.finishers take about 10 hp per foot

Danny

You guys have lighter soil in that area if I remember correct , It will go through there just fine and the 12 will pull it as long as you have good tires and duals you will be ok. I pulled ours with the 1086 for many years and that was set at 165 hp and that was in NE Iowa with heavy soil in Hi 1st, you need to pull it at 5mph minimum and up to as fast as you can pull it. It wont ridge because of those sheilds behind the disks. I pull mine this spring with 7130 in 16th gear just to see if it would ridge and it works great. That was on a second past because of all the trash.

I know a guy that can make the old 12 run if you need alittle more !!!! B)

Danny

Either a cultivator or finisher will work good on corn silage ground. The key is what you have behind it. Hard, dry clay would work down best with a rolling basket of some sort, but black ground or sandy ground should do just fine with a 4-bar harrow. We have been pulling a 20' WilRich cultivator behind the 806 MFD, running about 125-130 courtesy of an M&W turbo. One thing I don't do is run the field cultivator behind the mold-board plow. I feel it brings up too many sods, so I use the cultimulcher instead.

I can't really reply to this thread yet because we have been running DMI Tigermate 2 field cultivators in the past but just bought a Sunflower finisher a few weeks ago. We've never been real happy with the job a field cult does. The front 2 rows of shanks are doing a gob more work than the rear rows and we feel that a finisher will help that problem. Our soil is wet in the early spring but dries out quick! It might be working good in the morning and by mid afternoon its doing a horrible job.

We picked up the finisher about 3 weeks ago. Its a 30 foot model. I hooked it to my Quad and it had its hands full. I was pulling it where I had ran a DMI ripper a few days earlier. The ground had frost in it and was a little wet where it had started to thaw. I was just out playing with it and trying it out doing a few acres but I'm glad we didn't get one much bigger. I think we'll be able to yank this one around quick in the spring with the Quad or 450.

One thing I don't do is run the field cultivator behind the mold-board plow. I feel it brings up too many sods, so I use the cultimulcher instead.

Would a finisher work better then?

One thing I don't do is run the field cultivator behind the mold-board plow. I feel it brings up too many sods, so I use the cultimulcher instead.

Would a finisher work better then?

Can't say from experience. Going shallow is the best way to avoid bringing the sods up, so that is why we cultimulch. Trying to go shallow with the field cultivator (or likely a finisher) is difficult mostly due to the weight of the machines and not getting your wheel tracks worked out. We dual up a light tractor for just this one job, and it is well worth the work to get better results. Perhaps someone else runs a finisher behind a plow and can speak from real experience.

I know a guy that can make the old 12 run if you need alittle more !!!! B)

Danny

Don't worry about that. I got that all under control ;):lol: We really don't need it set at 130 hp either cause it just plays with anything we pull with it. But it does get turned up to over 200 couple times a year for "friendly competition" :rolleyes:

Mark, yes your 1256 will be fine with a 15 ft. finisher. I would also buy a finisher before a field cultivator. Like you said, for the discs up front. I use my finisher on corn stubble once in the spring before planting. My 1256 pulls an 18 ft. Glencoe, and mine was dynoed at 113 HP, yours shouldnt have any trouble. Its old, but it works ok. If you have to go shopping, get one that throws the dirt "in", not out like my old Glencoe does. Otherwise it leaves ridges. <_< I believe most of the newer models, regardless of color, throw the dirt in. If I needed to replace it, I would fint one that throws the dirt "in". We used to pull the soil finisher with a tired 8600 Ford with 24.5X32 on the back with fluid, it pulled it ok, but was short on power.

I forgot to add, most people in my neighborhood prefer field cultivators. They say they dont take as much power, and pull easier. I think I could agree with that. Just my opinion.

Mark, yes your 1256 will be fine with a 15 ft. finisher. I would also buy a finisher before a field cultivator. Like you said, for the discs up front. I use my finisher on corn stubble once in the spring before planting. My 1256 pulls an 18 ft. Glencoe, and mine was dynoed at 113 HP, yours shouldnt have any trouble. Its old, but it works ok. If you have to go shopping, get one that throws the dirt "in", not out like my old Glencoe does. Otherwise it leaves ridges. <_< I believe most of the newer models, regardless of color, throw the dirt in. If I needed to replace it, I would fint one that throws the dirt "in". We used to pull the soil finisher with a tired 8600 Ford with 24.5X32 on the back with fluid, it pulled it ok, but was short on power.

Just sittin here thinking. Is there a reason you cant switch your gangs for side to side? That would throw your dirt in wouldn't it?

I've owned two soil finishers in recent years. A 16' KRAUSE, and a 16' SUNFLOWER, with walking tandem wheels. They both pulled HARD in the Spring on ground which I had done Fall tillage on with a chisel plow, soil saver, or moldboard plow. With these soil finishers, I had to use third gear low on the 1086 which I was not happy with, and 8th gear on my 7220 MAGNUM, which was OK, but I wished I could have gone a bit faster with the 7220. The soil finishers were very heavy and again, I was surprised at how hard they pulled.

A couple of years ago, I came across a nice used 19' WHITE model 225 field cultivator with walking tandems, with a multi-row coil tine harrow behind it. I also bought a new 20' UNVERFERTH model 1225 rolling harrow to pull behind the field cultivator.

I am very happy with this field cultivator / rolling harrow set-up, running it in the Spring on ground which I Fall plowed / soil saved / chisel plowed.

I am now working a wider swath, and this outfit pulls easier than the two soil finishers I had previously. I was also able to go up to 9th gear on the 7220, or 4th gear low with the 1086.

In addition, both of my soil finishers were a pain to pull down the roads at 16' wide. I can hydraulically fold my field cultivator and rolling harrow down to about the width of my duals.

So, I guess no more soil finishers for me.

Rick G.

is the rolling basket something that we should get? What makes them work so good?

What size planter are you pulling? Guess that would be a consideration. If you have an 8 row planter a 15' finisher will have a hard time staying ahead. I pulled a 26' IH FC and stayed well ahead of a 6 row. Now have a 27' DMI and pull it with an 8940 and can keep ahead of 12 rows.

There are zero rolling baskets pulled behind around here anymore. 90% are 5 bar spikes. In a year like last year it would have made a mess.

Here's a 15' Krause some friends of mine have for sale. LINK HERE

We've owned a couple finishers in the past, a 21' Landoll Finish-OL & a 3125 (25") Krause. The Landoll had a 5 bar spike harrow, no rolling basket & the Krause had a rolling basket & 3 bar spike harrow (latter added a 4th bar). Both were hard pulling, pulled the Landol with a 7240 mfd & the Krause mainly with a CIH 9230 4wd but on occassion with the 7240. The 9230 was ocverkill on the Krause, 7240 handled both about the same as the Landol was harder pulling.

We eventually switched back to field cultivators as we could pull wider f.c.s than finishers and the f.c.s had a lot less maintenience requirements. When we switched we went from the Krause behind the 9230 to a 32 1/2' CIH / DMI field cultivator with 3 bar spike harrow & rolling basket. IMO the DMI did just as good a job preparing a seed bed as did the finishers though if ground was crusted the f.c. left the ground a little chunkier. One thing we did find was that with the Krause if you worked the ground twice with it you ended up with too fine of worked ground that would crust if you got a rain shortly afterwards. Ran into the same problem with the f.c. so bought a second one the same size with a 5 bar spike harrow only for working ground the 2nd time. We have since traded both f.c.s for one 42 1/2' DMI with 5 bar spike plus a 45' DMI crumbler. Nice thing about the crumbler is you can unhook it if not needed.

The only complaint we had with the Krause was it was settup on 9" spacings w/ 10" shovels and the 3bar harrow wouldn't level off the ridges like we wanted. We ended up adding more shanks to get to a 6" spacing & used 7" sweeps and added a 4th bar to the harrow which really made a big improvement on the job it did.

Of the two machines, Landol & Krause, IMO the Landol did the best job of prparing a seed bed but as stated previously was the harder pulling of the two. However, there were some other issues that we didn't like with it so would have a hard time recomending one.

JMO,

boog