Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ihred62

4 row wide #800 corn plate planter

19 posts in this topic

Does anyone know how many were made looking for one but can not find a nice one. Did they make a #900 4 row wide plate planter?

Well someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you would have to go back to a very old IH planter, to get a true IH plate planter. The 92's, 400's, 500's, 800's, 900's, and 955's are all plateless Cyclo air planters, and these planters go back as far as 35-40 years. The seeds are singulated in rotating drums, and blown to the row units by pressurized air. I believe some of the newest C-IH 1200 series planters are unit disc planters, but not plate planters in the true sense of the word. About any kind of decent 4 row wide planter is getting pretty hard to come by anymore, most to be found will more than likely need major work/restoration. I don't know where you're at, but if you're set on a IH planter, there are some available on the upcoming BigIron.com internet auctions. No 4 row wide planters, but some bigger planters that look decent enough for what they are, and could be cut down, and reconfigured, if you really want a 4 row wide. And these planters can generally be bought for a song. There's an 800 planter, 6 row 30", on the February 24 auction, with only $50.00 bid on it currently. I'd think it would be pretty easy to switch it to 4 row wide. On the February 10 auction, there's a 900 planter, 8 row 30", pretty well loaded up, and always shedded, with $1000.00 bid on it. Would be a better planter than the 800, and if you have some wrenches, a cutting torch, and some basic mechanical skills, it could be converted as well, with lots of spare parts left over. Just go to bigiron.com, click on the online auction link, click on your auction date, and scroll down and click on farm equipment. Hope this info helps you, and good luck!! ;)

There were true plate planters built with the Earjy Riser seed placement system. Rare piece around here.

Armstrong's in Swayzee, IN sold at least one that i can remember.

I have a neighborthat has a 4 row wide 800 plate planter. Only one I have ever seen but they do exist. He farms about 60 acres and uses it every year.

jerry

800 and 900 Early Riser plate planters were available as common drive units or press wheel individual units.

JD also made a 7000 plate planter.

Does anyone know how many were made looking for one but can not find a nice one. Did they make a #900 4 row wide plate planter?

I use a 800 plate planter and it uses the same plates as the 295 planters did. Ive got a friend that Im pretty sure has a 4 row 900 plate planter also,not for sale tho. I usually find a set on the sales down here every once in a while and pick them up for parts pretty cheap. The 7000 series jd were a lot more popular around here at the time. Never heard of anybody useing any cyclos around here.

the 800 4 row corn planters were very popular in toys LOL

1/64 scale though

If any one finds one let me know. I now use a 56 corn planter and it does a better job of spacing than my buddy"s 400 cyclo. I still like the plate style planters they are very trouble free. My 56 still works good but I want to start no tilling into bean stubble ground. The early riser units should work good for this. Most guy"s around here plant with 6 row 30" but I guess just set in my ways still prefer 4 row 38". I live in south east Wisconsin. :) Also was going to ask does the 800 + 900 use the same plates as my 56?

800 and 900 plate planters are very common around here. I have a 6 row, neighbors have a 6 row. Saw 4 900's at a sale last weekend of different sizes.

IHplanter006.jpg

IHplanter005.jpg

IHplanter004.jpg

IHplanter003.jpg

IHplanter002.jpg

IHplanter001.jpg

This is a picture of one a friend of mine built using a great plains 30 ft drill caddy and 2 ih tool bars. These are the central drive type units and there is a transmission on each bar. They've only planted beans with it the last 2 years but are probably going to plant corn this years also with this planters instead of their 10 row 7100.

I have an 800 plate planter. The units are bolt on so you can change row widths. the owners manual that I got with it says 4-row narrow, 4-wide, or 6 row narrow. I don't think the bar is long enough for 6-row 30s. I also bought a 15 row 15" mounted 800 plate planter last year just for parts. I built my trailing planter into an 8 row 15" and planted about 150 acres of beans with it last year. They make excellent bean planters. as soon as the weather starts to warm a little here I'm going to build it into a 7 row 15" splitter to pull behind an 8R-30" cyclo planter.

My dad has a 4r-30" #56 planter and yes they do use the same plates.

http://www.tractorhouse.com/listingsdetail...px?OHID=5465505

above is a link to one that is for sale in MI

edit: I did some quick checking and there are two different types of #56 plate units. the later ones use the same plate system as the 800s but the earlier ones are different. don't know the #break.

Good luck

Joe

I have an 800 plate planter. The units are bolt on so you can change row widths. the owners manual that I got with it says 4-row narrow, 4-wide, or 6 row narrow. I don't think the bar is long enough for 6-row 30s. I also bought a 15 row 15" mounted 800 plate planter last year just for parts. I built my trailing planter into an 8 row 15" and planted about 150 acres of beans with it last year. They make excellent bean planters. as soon as the weather starts to warm a little here I'm going to build it into a 7 row 15" splitter to pull behind an 8R-30" cyclo planter.

My dad has a 4r-30" #56 planter and yes they do use the same plates.

http://www.tractorhouse.com/listingsdetail...px?OHID=5465505

above is a link to one that is for sale in MI

edit: I did some quick checking and there are two different types of #56 plate units. the later ones use the same plate system as the 800s but the earlier ones are different. don't know the #break.

Good luck

Joe

Thanks Joe for info the planter on tractor house looks pretty good looks like 4 38s on a 6 30s frame. Was thinking they should only be half that price of $2900.00 or am I dreaming?

I have had a 4 row 56 and then a 1986 Case IH model 800 4 row 36 inch plate planter. I still use this one for the 100 acres of corn I plant. It has dry fertilizer setup on it also. I know the 4 row plate setup was offered in the 900 model and 950 model. I had problems with the thin bottom plates in that the large flats would ride under the plastic plates. It was cured by getting new thicker plates from the 950 model parts catalog. There was a service bulletin on this change also. I use it with the old 966 and it has much more than needed HP to pull it. It does an excellent job of depth control and is a much better planter than the old 56 was. I would like to go to a 6 or 8 row model 1200 planter but would have to change my row spacing and corn head.

Was thinking they should only be half that price of $2900.00 or am I dreaming?

I watched a really nice one sell at an auction in IL. last spring for $1800. I tried to bid $1850 but didn't get my hand up in time and they sold it. Two weeks later I put an add on craigslist for them and had a guy call me the next day from north MO. I went up there and bought it for $600. Some think they are worthless junk and some (especially dealers) think they are gold. I think there is another one on tractorhouse in Utah for $4500. Been on there for well over a year.

The one in MI that I posted the link for has been on there for over a year. I called about it in early April last year before I bought the one I have now. Can't remember for sure what he told me but he said he would take a little less for it but not much. they can be found for much cheaper than $2900 but you might have to do some searching. What they are worth depends on how bad you want it. I was willing to pay much more but just got lucky.

Joe

Quality Equipment in Burlington NC has a 950 with dry fertilizer and they are proud of it. $4800 It's been shedded and NICE though. Eason

Quality Equipment in Burlington NC has a 950 with dry fertilizer and they are proud of it. $4800 It's been shedded and NICE though. Eason

Sounds like a nice planter, part of my reason to stay 4 row 38s is figure not much demand for a 4 row plate plate. I know if i bought it, it would be worth 1/4 that amount as soon as it leaves the lot.

Sorry clicked twice, could not figure out how to get this one off.

Do you need fertilizer, and how far are you willing to travel? I have a 4 row 800 plate planter but it doesn't have fertilizer. I kind of want to keep it so if I can ever rent some ground I have it but at the same time I could always use the cash. It is in Northern Ohio. You can email me at sweetcorn70(at)hotmail.com if you are interested and I'll put a price on her head. Looked to be in OK shape but might need some work to get it going.

Mike

Do you need fertilizer, and how far are you willing to travel? I have a 4 row 800 plate planter but it doesn't have fertilizer. I kind of want to keep it so if I can ever rent some ground I have it but at the same time I could always use the cash. It is in Northern Ohio. You can email me at sweetcorn70(at)hotmail.com if you are interested and I'll put a price on her head. Looked to be in OK shape but might need some work to get it going.

Mike

Sorry Mike but yes I want one with dry fertilizer. Thanks. Rick