Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ny bill o

!@#$%^&*() 1456 hydraulics

for the last several winters, the 1456 has lost its hydraulics (usually steering at first) when the temperature got down below about 15 above. i figured it had some water in the hyd oil, so in early december, i put new hytran in it. the old oil didn't look bad at all, but i changed it anyway.

so the 1456 has been running the manure spreader for the last 3 weeks with no problem. saturday, the bottom fell out of the thermometer, high temp was about 12. last night, i went to spread manure, tractor started ok, pulled it up out of the spreader pit, and had no steering. let it run for 10 minutes, by then had no clutch either. left it running, probably 20 minutes, to get another tractor, unhooked the spreader, went to pull the 1456 away from the spreader, still no hydraulics, tried to help pull it to the right with the right brake (old habit :wacko: ), and after pumping the brake 2 or 3 times, the hydraulics came to life completely. i just parked the 1456 and haven't had it running today, so i don't know what is working or not.

i'm at a loss as to why it behaved like it did. the new oil should have been circulated enough to not be an issue. but something certainly didn't work right.

any ideas? thanks.

If she's been sitting out in this cold weather, it's gonna take a little longer than 10 minutes to get everything(fluid and seals) warmed up a bit....in this cold weather alot of the seals shrink up and it takes a while for the pumps to get the fluid moving. If it works okay when it warms up, I wouldn't worry much about it yet. JMHO

Travis

Dad's 1086 sure didn't like the cold temps, we had the oring give up two years in a row on the pump in the rear end that powers the lift and remotes while clearing snow with the front end loader. On the other hand, the 886 never did give any hydraulic problems doing the exact same duty with the exact same loader.

Used to use the 706 all winter long for chores, year after year, in below zero weather even, with no issues. The 1206, 1256 and 1566 also never had any hydraulic issues. Sure makes one wonder why one particular tractor is more sensitive to the cold than the others are.

We have that problem with out 806 too bill, when i redid the pto unit on it it got fresh oil too, thought that would be the solution, but once again once its aroudn 10-15 it does the same thing. I think there was a post on here about this before about the mcv and pump being weak being the culprit, but once its warm everything couldnt work any better. Ive just gotten into the habit of throwing a torpedo heater on the tranny case by the filter housing for a lil while before using it anymore. Even that hy tran gets pretty dang think when it gets that cold.

Time for a new MCV pump. It will only get worse so that it is hard to get functions operating even in warmer temps. Don't let it run too long without hydraulics.... the TA is running dry. (no lube pressure).

Darryn

I assume you have changed the hydraulic filter. In colld conditions any moisture in the hydraulic oil turns to ice and the filter traps it and blocks oil passage untill the oil is above freezing. To get the oil above freezing takes a long time if none is pumping through the system.

You MAY want to try overfilling the transmission by 5 gallons. This seems to work on tractors that have a leaky suction tube. Yours MAY be sucking some air when the oil is really cold. It is worth a shot, I have a number of customers that have done that for years. No ill effects.

P.S. Make sure you are using HYTRAN. HYTRAN absorbs any moisture in the system, some of the other Hyd oils do not work nearly as well in the IH system. A pet peeve oil of mine is COOP hydraulic oil. I dont think I would use it to oil my bycicle chain.

thanks for the replies. i changed the filter along with the oil. i used official hytran in the 1456, because i was concerned about moisture in the system. the thing that seemed most odd is that the 966 and 1086 and 5288 tractors all have hyd oil that meets specs (but not hytran), and they don't behave like the 1456 when it gets cold. the 966 is usually on the spreader but it is down for repairs.

i'll try overfilling it and if that doesn't work, i'll get after a new mcv pump.

This may start an arguement, but after years of using hy-tran I switched to a cheaper brand x that meets the spec's and couldn't be happier...........I fail to see why everyone pushes the "Hy-tran absorbs moisture" BS...............When in reality, the oil should be changed often enough that shouldn't be an issue IMO. That is the main reason I switched, it cost alot of money to change that much oil often, so I went with something alittle less spendy. Around where I live you often hear the arguement you don't have to change the hy-tran often because it asborbs moisture, but they should put a warning on the hytran containers that it does not mean you can run the same oil in a tractor that gets run every day for 10 years without ever renewing it.

There is a good thread on this currently over on the other page. My FIL's 706 has been acting up, even before it got cold. I put in an extra 5 gallons the other day to get him by for a while until he can put in a new MCV pump and get the MCV rebuilt. It seemed to work just fine and picked up prime right away the other morning when it was 23*F.

There is a good thread on this currently over on the other page. My FIL's 706 has been acting up, even before it got cold. I put in an extra 5 gallons the other day to get him by for a while until he can put in a new MCV pump and get the MCV rebuilt. It seemed to work just fine and picked up prime right away the other morning when it was 23*F.

Good observation. It is easy to get mad at a tractor that is not performing up to par. We all have to remember that they are 40+ years old. There is bound to be a O-ring or 2 that has lost some of its elastisity and will not seal as good as it did when new. The Trans-diff pickup tube O-ring is notorious for allowing air to suck by and not allow the pump to prime. The extra oil covers this spot with sump oil and the problem dissapears

This may start an arguement, but after years of using hy-tran I switched to a cheaper brand x that meets the spec's and couldn't be happier...........I fail to see why everyone pushes the "Hy-tran absorbs moisture" BS...............When in reality, the oil should be changed often enough that shouldn't be an issue IMO. That is the main reason I switched, it cost alot of money to change that much oil often, so I went with something alittle less spendy. Around where I live you often hear the arguement you don't have to change the hy-tran often because it asborbs moisture, but they should put a warning on the hytran containers that it does not mean you can run the same oil in a tractor that gets run every day for 10 years without ever renewing it.

I have been reccomending HYTRAN to every IH owner I deal with BECAUSE- there are quite a few hydraulic oils that are sub par. If you are using another oil that works good for you and the equipment dosent suffer, stick with it. The biggest problem I see is that the hydraulic oil NEVER gets changed no matter what brand they are running. I will not warrenty any of my TA,or HYDRO jobs without the use of HYTRAN knowing full well there are oils that will work as well. I just do not have the time to research which ones work and which ones dont.

You have a bad filter , or there is a o ring bad or bad pump im thinking bad pump my 1456 sits outside and it getts colder than that and within 10 minites it going.