Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

red_reaper

Roll around tool boxes, prices out of this world

59 posts in this topic

I've been looking for a good roll around tool box/chest. I've looked at Snap On,and Mac,Matco, but they range from 2500-16,000.00 :wacko: I've seen a off brand called "International" that are a little cheaper that look good. I think they are made in Canada. Anyone know of some good quality boxes that someone can afford to buy? These things are stupid priced!! yet I've seen guys buy 7,000.00 boxes and practicaly live in their cars their so poor.

Yeah isn't it unreal, I know of a guy that gave over $50,000.00 for his, me I don't even have enough tools to warrant one but sure would love to have one but at them prices I don't know if I will ever get one, heck for that kinda money I end up with another tractor instead. :D:P:lol:

I've been looking for a good roll around tool box/chest. I've looked at Snap On,and Mac,Matco, but they range from 2500-16,000.00 :wacko:

I yi yi yi yie!

I'm glad I got my Snap On roll cabinet 20+ years ago! I don't recall how much it was but at the time I thought it was expensive....but nothing like this! :huh:

Yeah isn't it unreal, I know of a guy that gave over $50,000.00 for his, me I don't even have enough tools to warrant one but sure would love to have one but at them prices I don't know if I will ever get one, heck for that kinda money I end up with another tractor instead. :D:P:lol:

reaper, check on craigslist, lots of guys outta work and need christmas money. cash talks. you can find all the name brands on craigslist. i have a big mac top and bottom box with side boxes. i realy like this box because you can have many drawers pulled out and the box just sets there and when you close the drawers they have a denent in them to keep them closed.

What's your budget Red Reaper? I need to upgrade my box (I have a Mac Macsimizer) but I'm going to go the Craigslist/ebay route. I've seen nice triple bay Snap On boxes in the $3-4k range......then sell my Macsimizer and I won't have alot in a bigger box.

I don't know what size you are looking for but last December I bought a "Masterforce" tool box from Menards for $650 on sale. It is 41" wide and 18" deep and 60" tall. Two of the casters lock and it has a nice pullout work surface in between the top and bottom boxes. This may be a little "cheap" for the serious mechanic but for what I use it for I've had no problems or complaints. On a side note I took a trip to the local technical school that has an agricultural mechanic program to look for a new employee and while snooping around their shop I noticed about half of the students had this box. Just an observation.

Jesse

Don't know what my price range really is, but I'd like to keep it well under a grand for a good used one. I've been watching Craigslist, but those big name brand boxes really hold their value, and have not been priced very cheap at all.

I've had a Craftsman for probably 10 years now, but the bottom cabinet will not hold 15-20lbs without the slides bending the flimsy metal hangers and the dang drawer falls in the floor. If it wasn't for all the neat bumper stickers and decals I have stuck on it, I'd mash it with the loader. The big drawer will not even hold a 3/4" socket set without it bending all out of shape and falling off the rails. The top cabinet works fine for wrenches and such. I don't need a tool box worth more than the vehicle I'm working on, just one that is reliable.

ask the tool dealer for a trade -in or repo.

our snap-on dealer always has super good deals , normally 30-50% off .

it might be worth your time to buy from him , and have it shipped ?

This is the one you need....still costs less than most new vehicles. :lol: Has it's own set of brakes also...let go of the pull handle and the brakes come on. My Snap-on guy says I can get tool boxes in IH red also. I've seen one in JD green and yellow...wasn't pretty. click the linky.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?se...re&tool=all

Travis

This is the one you need....still costs less than most new vehicles. :lol: Has it's own set of brakes also...let go of the pull handle and the brakes come on. My Snap-on guy says I can get tool boxes in IH red also. I've seen one in JD green and yellow...wasn't pretty. click the linky.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?se...re&tool=all

Travis

Dear lord i bought my pickup for less than that :ph34r:

When i started trade school i saved up some money so i could go on a shopping spree when i was done, since if i remember correctly snap on stuff was discounted 30 or 40% for students, i dropped some money on a kra2312 roll box and a a carry along chest, which usually sits on top, but is nice if i ever have to head on the road i keep my most used stuff and just take it along, even though its a heavy sob lol, kinda sad i almsot have both of them filled to capacity, guess i have a bit too much of the tim taylor sickness.

When i was at a cat dealer, another young fellow that worked there with me picked up a heck of a nice almost new Cornwell roll cab box, cant remember the price off hand but was less what i paid for my strap on one with the discount a year earlier. Our snap on guy wasnt shy to say he never should have taken it in on trade, he claimed he never could move cornwell stuff, and never made out much on it at all. I honestly thought it was a nice box though.

My opinion, but I'd hit up some of the tool trucks for trade in's like Tommy suggested. Most of the truck brand high end boxes are heavily built and will last many, many years, and have considerably more capacity than a store bought box. Snap On's gonna cost you but the quality, warranty, and service is also second to none.

Another line to consider is a Mac Tech 1000 series....They run $750-1000 used all the time. I worked out of one for 6 years. Ball bearing drawer slides and a full length top drawer. I traded out of it because it was totally stuffed, but Mac has side cabinets, top boxes etc to go with it. They're on ebay & Craigslist all the time too.

Hit up the tool truck guys. There are plenty of repos and trade-ins now and lots of people needing $$$$ to pay their taxes right now.

I only bought 2 new boxes and got more that my purchase $$$ when I traded them back into to the Snap-On guy for other boxes. With some creativity, you can build a nice tool chest setup too.

Maybe we should start a thread to show off your tool box......to see whats out there.... :unsure:

Kristin. Heres my box i bought about 3 years ago. Craftsman Ball bearing with griplatch drawers. the lower full length drawer is complelty full of sockets and ratches. works perfectly with all that weight in there.

I got it on sale around christmas time when the had one of those specials like buy both pieces save 250. i bought a third piece which is the middle full length drawer. IIRC i paid right at $1200 for eveything.

stuff094.jpg

Old-F20,

If you don't mind, I think most of us here wouldn't mind a close up of the top drawer....especially the right hand side, something about "easy open tops"? :lol::lol::lol:

Travis

Old-F20,

If you don't mind, I think most of us here wouldn't mind a close up of the top drawer....especially the right hand side, something about "easy open tops"? :lol::lol::lol:

Travis

Tee Hee hee

better not, i might get in trouble :ph34r::angry:

I bought four Kobalt boxes from Lowes and they are real good boxes, Better that Craftsman. I bought two lowers and two uppers and mounted them on a Frame/cart. The older Craftsman were OK boxes but the newer ones are junk. I have a Mac and a Snap-on boxes but for the money the Kobalt boxes are hard to beat.

When I was looking for one the best bang for the buck was the Professional Craftsman boxes.................Ones you can only get from the catalog. I got the ball bearing version just below the Pro line, works good for me, but I wish I would have spent more for the pro version.

SPG International I believe bought out Beach, they make a decent cabinet, seems to be another very similar badged ProRacer up here that sells along side International and at Costco, you should be able to buy the large top and bottom for just under 1K...........Having an International box just seems right doesn't it?????????

I have some Proto boxes bought at an auction dirt cheap at a plant close out. Major score at the end of a 12 hour auction. They are a good solid box, strong slides. The International boxes are quite popular in Canada, often on sale for about $1K for the triple set, or even less at Canadian Tire, but I can't vouch for them but do see them in some shops. As you might know, you have to be careful how you distribute the weight in the drawers, have too much out far and they will flip over, had a coworker open two drawers at once and over it went, what a mess.

Hey Kristin, I bought a (Torin) 2 years ago and I wish that this box was around when I bought my first box and I could of saved alot of money. This box is from Northern Tool & EQ and there are alot of people that don't like stuff from there but this one passed the test !!!! It weighs 1000 lbs empty 72"long x29"wide x 46" high it holds almost all my hand tools and I mounted a vise on one end. It is on sale for $2500.00 delivered to your closest store (no freight)

It's even IH Red and I would buy it again !!!!

Danny

Due to the fire and our insurance difficulties I made Allstate buy me a SnapOn rollcab and chest. Was not the top of the line stuff at all but very good quality. I bought a Sears pro roll cab several years ago, is is a OK unit, definatly not in a true Proffessional catigory. If I had to buy new boxes now I would check Craigslist first now is the time that quite a few young mechanics are looking to try to save a marrage by selling the tools they overspent on.

Kristen the new craftsman indutrial boxes look to be real close to the snap on boxes I would go that way.. I personally love my snap on boxes but I make a living out of THEM yes THEM I have $50,000 in tools and boxes. I have 2 complete sets between my place of employment and my restoration business. I wouldn't trade the snap on boxes for any other very durable. On the plus side if I give up one or the other I would have half my money back :lol:

Mike

See if your tool truck dealer is interested in trading for whatever.

I traded all my old, smaller Snap On boxes for the KRL1101 and a 2 horse bumper pull Sundowner trailer for the KRL1201 top box when I worked for BT&I. Later I traded a 18' car hauler for a 3/4" Snap on impact and torque wrench when I was at Bramlett. My dealer will trade for guns, reloading equipment, and who knows what else.

post-2813-1260849257_thumb.jpg

i use a Snappy KRL722 for the majority of my daily stuff with my motorcycle business. I have some other boxes around but this one is the one that gets the workout. Once you have one of these boxes you won't go back. I needed deep drawers, so much of the consumer grade boxes have small drawers that are limiting. I got mine brand new for almost half price, it had a little dent in the end from shipping, works fine for me and I will always get out what I paid from snappy if i want to trade up. I want to start on a set of tools for the road next as i mess with soo much other crap than bikes, I should have a formal road chest. Can't decide, CPL or the road chest northern sells from International. In this case I am not spending for the snappy chest as it doesn't pencil.

Art, I see the red box but there's some foggy stuff on each side and I just can't make out what it is. Maybe I should put this monitor on autoadjust and that will clear things up?? Darn eyesight anyway, gettin' old is a bummer...