Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dumbfarmer

question on 1660 combine

my 1992 1660 has the specialty rotor. i have a good set of concaves with all the wires in for beans. i also have a worn out set of concaves with every other wire pulled and the extra holes welded shut for corn. the back grates which are keystock are getting rounded off some but i dont know if it makes a difference or not. this year i had a hard time not throwing corn out the back of the rotor. i partially blamed it on the year because the corn was barely ready for the first frost and maybe shelled a bit harder? i dunno. anyways what i was wondering was i have only replaced the first set of rotor bars on front and the rest are getting pretty worn, should i replace with just regular bars again or should i put something like a gordon bar in it? anyone have any experience with those? im scared of putting in all new bars then making ground feed next year :lol: if you know what i mean. any other suggestions welcome. TIA.

On my corn combine I set all the vanes in the slow position and my middle concave is made up of round pipes welded in place similar to what the grates look like and I have every other wire out of the back concave and it did a fairly good job this year in this crappy crop we had.

I don't know what a guy should do. This year was one of those years that you really can't take to the bank on combine settings or corn/soybean hybrids to me. Nothing made much sense. On this end my standard rotor 1660 with disruptors shined in corn. No rotor loss at all. Everything that went to the elevator was in good condition and the max FM was 5.03 on the core of a bin that was not spread coming out of the dryer. That was out of 9 loads I have in front of me. One other hit 3 and after was 0 across the board. I really wonder if the specialty rotor was at a loss this year?? Also I felt the disrupters helped quite a bit. A friend runs Kuchar concaves on his 2005 2366 and that will be my next set after seeing how well his perform. This fall his limiting factor was sieves plus he has the AFX kit. To me there are too many short bars in the specialty rotor for corn. I like the idea of the Gordon Bars.

Regular Rotor is better than specialty in corn.

If that is the case maybe we should be thinking of doing something different. I had about decided to get either an AFX rotor or a specialty rotor with the AFX front on it to replace the standard rotor in our '90 1660. Is there anything in between that will do a better job in beans than a standard rotor, but still do well in corn? Would just putting an AFX on the front of a standard rotor make enough difference in soybeans? I'm not familiar with all the aftermarket companies and what they have to offer, for example I have no clue what "Gordon bars" are. I'm not trying to hijack the thread, just curious what people think. Thanks, Paul

Regular Rotor is better than specialty in corn.

If that is the case maybe we should be thinking of doing something different. I had about decided to get either an AFX rotor or a specialty rotor with the AFX front on it to replace the standard rotor in our '90 1660. Is there anything in between that will do a better job in beans than a standard rotor, but still do well in corn? Would just putting an AFX on the front of a standard rotor make enough difference in soybeans? I'm not familiar with all the aftermarket companies and what they have to offer, for example I have no clue what "Gordon bars" are. I'm not trying to hijack the thread, just curious what people think. Thanks, Paul

It will help with beans.

I put an AFX rotor in my 2388 last year, I would highly recomend it

It runs very quiet, I have not done any corn with it but real happy with the wheat & soybeans.

Ray

I have had AF combines with std, specialty & AFX rotors. For just corn the std rotor is hard to beat IMO. I have found that there is a learning curve with each type of rotor. A couple years ago we switched our 2388 from a spec to AFX. AFX does a lot better job in soybeans, especially f you have any green stemmed beans. Never ran wheat thru a spec rotor but the AFX did a decent job IMO in wheat . However, we never have been able to get it to completely stop throwing corn out the rearend. We run with every other wire removed in the concaves & advanced the vanes as much as possible & still get corn out the rear. Have tried numerous rotor speed & concave settings, about anything imaginable & some off the wall settings. This year our CIH service manager recomended removing all the wires in the front concave. Before we could try it that way we leased a 7010 to finish corn harvest so don't know if that helps or not.

On the 7010 we started out with 4 modules of round bar concaves but put the middle two large wires back in & run just the front two roundbars. Appears to me that a large wire concave with all the wires removed would be similiar to a round bar, not the same but close.

I wonder what that means also. I looked up Gorden Bars and discovered that they are meant to be used on specialty rotors and they are a longer bar on an angle that takes the place of, I think, two specialty bars. http://www.harvesting.com/usa/index.htm Does anyone have any experience with using them? Paul

thanks for all the replies but i know the standard rotor is better for corn. the reason for the question is the gordon bar a good half way medium between the two. like is it the best of both worlds or is it the worst? i also forgot to mention that i do have a afx kit on the front. i think its kile? not sure, cant remeber on that one, i had oskaloosa imp put it in.

i may be the dumb one but we instal straight bars ie corn bars on the rear section of the rotor on a 60 series you can install 3 or 6

this slows the flow of the crop out of the back of the combine

we use gordon bars in hard to thresh crops

i may be the dumb one but we instal straight bars ie corn bars on the rear section of the rotor on a 60 series you can install 3 or 6

this slows the flow of the crop out of the back of the combine

we use gordon bars in hard to thresh crops

so these straight bars you are talking about are stationary? or do they bolt onto the rotor itself? i have some smooth bars allready on the rotor at the back but i didnt know they were optional. i also set the vanes at the back to retard thinking it needed more time to get the corn out. didnt seem to make much difference. also why dont you use the gordon bars for all crops/conditions? are they too aggresive sometimes?

corn bars replace two rasp bars that are in line with each other take out 12 rasp bars and install 6 corn bars on rear of rotor

gordon bars take up space so there less room for crop residue reduing rotor capacity that the reason case is making a small tube rotor in the new combines same reason your could remove two impeller blades on 80 series combine