Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

littlered166

leaking gas tank

I have a # 72 model CC with a leaking gas tank. :angry: ?: Weld leak or try to find another gas tank in better shape. I've heard of some place that will put in liners. :unsure: Will that work on CC tanks as well as larger tanks? Looking for all suggestions. Thanks. :rolleyes: Pembroke

I have a # 72 model CC with a leaking gas tank. :angry: ?: Weld leak or try to find another gas tank in better shape. I've heard of some place that will put in liners. :unsure: Will that work on CC tanks as well as larger tanks? Looking for all suggestions. Thanks. :rolleyes: Pembroke

Where and why is it leaking? Is it from rust? around the drain fitting? WELD. NO. If you can get them clean they can be soldered(don't use open flame as the metal in tanks will absorb vapors. If the leaks are from rusting and has a lot of pin holes you are better off getting a different tank. There is a baffle inside the Cub Cadet that is in the middle and it's very hard to clean them on the other side of the baffle unless you unsolder the 2 halves of the tank and you must use a torch. I only know on person who dose this and he washes the tanks out real good before he un-solders them(They are actually a small 1/2 tank on the filler side with opening top & bottom at the left end and the an open right end is soldered to the tank which looks like a seam in the middle. I clean them with soapy water and put 5/16 hex nuts inside(they will go to the other side of the baffle) and I strap it on my rear wheel of another Cub Cadet and cut the grass. I change how it's strapped to the wheel to be sure the part behind the baffle gets clean. I the rinse it out using the soapy water from our washing machines a couple of times, I then fill it with hot water and check it to see if the water that comes out has no rust in it. It takes a lot of shaking and a good magnet to get all the nuts out. On one tank I use POR-15 Motorcycle tank sealer but I didn't like it as it coated the inside heavy and made the tank heavy, I did find some gas tank sealer from a fellow I met at a show named Pederson and he had a sealer that looks like milk and you dump it in the tank and turn the tank every which way but loose and the just pour it back in the can and whats left in there will coat the tank and you keep rotating the tank every 30 minutes so it spreads out even inside the tank as it dries. If you want his name and website I think I can find it again and post it.

I had a strange leak on a 7 HP tank that I was using. It started leaking under the strap on the far side from the filler and didn't find it till it messed up the paint on my flywheel cover. I thought I was getting pin holes from rust so I stuck another tank on that engine. I didn't see any signs of rust so I put water in it and found the leak and it looked like someone had punched a tiny hole in it. I just soldered it shut and put it back on and about 2 weeks later it starts leaking around the other strap and I find the same kind of a mark and noticed a third one but wasn't through. I soldered both of them and the tank is fine. I still don't know what caused them but I know it wasn't rust. You can also get leaks on the plate that has the drain threads in it but if you get it cleaned up good and use large electric iron you can reseal them with solder.

what I've used to fix leaking gas tanks is that I went to NAPA [or any automotive parts store] and bought a gas tank repair kit, it looks like putty its gray and comes in a plastic tube and you can form it to cover the hole.

Red Kote. Clean the tank as described above and make sure you allow it to dry completely, that is important. I recently purchased a quart for around $22 for a Cub 100 tank. I've used it on other Cubs, a 71 Olds Cutlass convert and even old Kerosene lanterns. The Cutlass was done over 15 years ago and is still sealing the rusty seam. I've used POR and other motorcycle products previously. I like Red Kote and will continue to use it. On a tank as small as a Cub, you will drain about 3/4 of the product back into the can after tumble coating the interior of such a small tank. Seal the lid properly and you can do a few more small Cub sized tanks from the same can of Red Kote.

Wear rubber gloves and apply in a very well ventilated area (outdoors). It has a very powerful smell and is incredibly sticky to clean up.

http://www.damonq.com/Techsheets/Red-Kote.pdf

http://www.damonq.com/Techsheets/Red-Kote.pdf