Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cm228

Farmall 826

Gentlemen,

I was at my local NH dealer yesterday for parts. Saw they had a pair of 826's there. I may go back and look at them tomorrow. I have been looking for some more hp. my little 400d is getting tried. I looked on tractor house, found several 826's there. they had a wide range of listed hp from high 80's to just over 100 hp. Is this the hp range they were marketed for? I did not see when was there if they were gear drives or hydro's. If they are hydro's I am not going to look any further. I just prefer gear drives. IMO hydro's belong on lawn mowers. I think they are German diesels, what are some things I should be looking for, I know about the Ta. If memory serves, stick it in a high gear apply brakes and pull the ta. correct me if I am wrong there. what ta do these tractors use hyd shifted?? like the bigger tractors or the sprag clutch type in my 400. I am very much a novice on ta's other than on my 400 don't pull it when going down hill :unsure: I am not a big fan of the 06 - 56 series look, but it's growing on me. plus you can't see the grill from the tractor seat :rolleyes: . sorry for the long post, but I am just trying to make an informed decision.

Thanks for your help.

Matt

Dad has a 826, had it maybe 15-20 years now, I was young when he bought it. He wanted something to fill the gap between his 1066, and 706 German. At the time, he was going back & forth between a 826, and a 856. Needless to say, he bought the 826.

Its been a good tractor for us. Ours is set around 90-95 horsepower, and is about all the more it likes to push. An 826 will have a hydraulic T/A. Ours was weak when we bought it, we've replaced it once, and its never had a problem since.

The 358 German is an efficient engine, and pretty gutsy, but boy, can they ever be a b!tch to get started! The trick is to hit the 'sweet spot' in the injection pump, by moving the shutoff cable back in slowly while starting it. Any German engine is this way, but our 826 is a tricky b@stard to find that spot, our two 706 Germans, easy as Sunday morning! The 826 likes to be a cold-blooded cuss, too. We have had the pump & injectors done, it maybe helped a lil bit, but thats been several years ago. I have been told a good improvement is to swap a larger 35MT Delco starter (from a 806,1206,1456) onto an 826, in place of the 30MT starter. Haven't tried that yet, but if this starter goes bad someday, we'll do it!

Ours has the IH mechanical seat suspension, and does not have tilt steering, so those are two BIG pluses. It has a Hiniker 1300 cab on it, and probably has been on there since new. Keeps a guy out of the elements, but that's about it.

Anymore, I have my 1206 & 1256, and I like using them better, but, I put MANY hours on that 826, and its always treated me really well. Except when its cold out & the engine heater isn't plugged in. Then forget it, I'll get the 1206 or 1256 out, they'll start!

Nebraska1206 Pretty much covered it all. I own one as well with 8000+ hours.Dad overhauled at 4000 cause grandpa cracked a piston using either one time in the winter :angry: . Had it on the dyno after the over haul and was turning 98hp. The "sweet" spot is the trick to them. Find it and they fire right up. I also have a 1420 combine which has the same enigne. The both blow a little blue smoke sitting there at a idle but once you opening them up it goes away. The 826 is mainly used for mowing hay and running the irrigation pump. @ 1750rpms pumping water it's uses around 3 to 3.5 gallons of water fuel an hour. It's kinda funny it (826) uses less fuel doing the same job (mowing hay) as the newer, better,etc etc tractors I have and they reach 540pto at 1970rmps vers the 826 at 2100rpms. I realy like mine and wouldn't mind having another some day.

post-29187-1254868211_thumb.jpg

the 826 is very fuel eficent as stated. to make good staters they need the higher commpesion pistons then what then got factory the later motors like in a 786 got these pistons when checking these tractors pull the drain plug on the oil when cold and unstarted over night check for antifreeze otherwise same old tractor shoping I love my 826's as i have Three and they run 110 hp and 2950 RPMs there fun to drive.

post-2120-1254874543_thumb.jpg

They are good tractors, the other fellows have covered most of the things to look for.

edit to add: Very handy size of tractor, easy to get on and off and to handle. It would be a big jump from a 400. That's mine on the bagging machine.

I see you are not a fan of the '06-'56 series tractors, don't you know they were the best tractors ever made? The 826 is a great tractor, the german motor has a long stroke and a lot of lugging power. They are known for fuel sipping. As for the T\A, it is like flipping a quarter, it might be good and might be bad. They have the same rear end as a 856 and that is a good thing. If you find one that has been taken care of and is in good shape then jump on it!

Guys

Thanks for the input, I think I'll get over tomorrow and look at them I'll try and remember to take the camera along and take some pic's of them. I know it would be a big jump over the 400, but I got some equip from a member of my church a few years ago, a 12' Ih disk and a 10 field harrow. ( wanted to be more efficent with time in the field ) yea that backfired alittle. :unsure: I should have bought the 706 he had also but the funds weren't there at the time. plus the 706 needed a lot of attention. pump inj, overhaul etc... was also a ta delete. The 400 will handle the harrow if I don't try and dig up China with it. The disk I can pull if I hold it up and don't try and sink it to the gang axle, on plowed ground forget it jack, ground is to soft poor 400 just burys it's self. Oh well live and learn. Thanks again for the info pic of the disk below

Matt

p.s if anyone can tell me what model it is I would apperaicate it, I did not see any tags on it to tell what model it is.

post-40053-1254875748_thumb.jpg

I see you are not a fan of the '06-'56 series tractors, don't you know they were the best tractors ever made? The 826 is a great tractor, the german motor has a long stroke and a lot of lugging power. They are known for fuel sipping. As for the T\A, it is like flipping a quarter, it might be good and might be bad. They have the same rear end as a 856 and that is a good thing. If you find one that has been taken care of and is in good shape then jump on it!

Shawn

I just like the look of the 66 & 86 better, I have no doubt that they a good tractors, haven't run much of the 06 - 56 series of IH machines. fuel efficency is a plus. I am just going to hope the T/A is good, if not at some point the tractor would be making a visit to Ed Leaman.

I think that disk is a 470 or 475. It should be easy work for an 826.

Does the 826 have the same rear axle as the 856 or the smaller 706 size? An 856 weighed 10,290 lbs and the 826 weighed 8581 lbs, I know the 856 came with 18.4x38's and 11Lx15's where the 826 came with 18.4x34's and 9.5x15's, smaller fuel tank, D360 instead of the D407 and other things but 1700 lbs less? The 826 was IH's cost savings answer for the 4000 John Deere, was the 826 cheaper than the 856 custom?....James

Does the 826 have the same rear axle as the 856 or the smaller 706 size? An 856 weighed 10,290 lbs and the 826 weighed 8581 lbs, I know the 856 came with 18.4x38's and 11Lx15's where the 826 came with 18.4x34's and 9.5x15's, smaller fuel tank, D360 instead of the D407 and other things but 1700 lbs less? The 826 was IH's cost savings answer for the 4000 John Deere, was the 826 cheaper than the 856 custom?....James

All the tractors from the 706 thru 1256 used the 3.25" axle. The 656/666/686 used the smaller axle, same as the M/400, etc. 14's got the 3.5", 15's got 4". I could go into further detail, but you get the picture. I don't know where they got the weight for that 826, but they are off. My cousin pulled his at the local fair, and with 18.4x38's on pressed wheels he still had to pull the pto to make 8000 pounds. I am pretty sure the fenders were off, and it has a narrow front. I think if you had two identically equipped tractors, the 856 and 826 would be within a couple hundred pounds.

Sorry, I should have said 706 rear end-transmission housing. Are they the same on a 706 or is the 806-856 bigger?....James

The 856 motor is heavyer. A same 826 two a 856 is about 500 to 1000 more I think the front cast also has more weight has they are diffrent. Also many to all 856's had wedge locks. 826 basicly never did. A basic package new 826 would weight lots less then a basic 856. O the 826 was a tractor that would do more then a 4020 using less fuel. The 856 custom was the 4000 price beater tractor. In all reality I don't c why they made the 826 glad they did but. It was just a middle of the 756 and 856 tractor

Didn't they quit making the 756 to make the 826 in 1969. Was the 826 basicly an 856 with the D360 motor? Or a hybid of 756 and 856? Wasn't the 826 cheaper than the 856 custom? Wasn't the idea of the 826 to give the 4000 John Deere a run for its money, both came out in 1969. An 856 was touted as a 6 plow tractor and the 826 as a 5 plow tractor, the idea was, you went faster and plowed the same amount of acres in a day. IHC had decided on the 300 and 400 engine series to keep production costs down by using interchanging parts instead of a lot of competely different engines. The 856 custom and 826 both had the 37 gal fuel tank. My understanding was the 826 was a stripped down 856 just like the 4000 JD was 1000 lbs lighter than the 4020. Everyone wanted more horsepower so IHC quit making the 1256 to make the 1456 to keep up with JD's 4520. Didn't IHC have "1556, 1856" tractors in the works. IHC wanted the 66 series but wasn't ready with the new longer wider frame and all the 400 series motors....James

Didn't they quit making the 756 to make the 826 in 1969. Was the 826 basicly an 856 with the D360 motor? Or a hybid of 756 and 856? Wasn't the 826 cheaper than the 856 custom? Wasn't the idea of the 826 to give the 4000 John Deere a run for its money, both came out in 1969. An 856 was touted as a 6 plow tractor and the 826 as a 5 plow tractor, the idea was, you went faster and plowed the same amount of acres in a day. IHC had decided on the 300 and 400 engine series to keep production costs down by using interchanging parts instead of a lot of competely different engines. The 856 custom and 826 both had the 37 gal fuel tank. My understanding was the 826 was a stripped down 856 just like the 4000 JD was 1000 lbs lighter than the 4020. Everyone wanted more horsepower so IHC quit making the 1256 to make the 1456 to keep up with JD's 4520. Didn't IHC have "1556, 1856" tractors in the works. IHC wanted the 66 series but wasn't ready with the new longer wider frame and all the 400 series motors....James

The 826 has a D358, not D360. The D360 is a US built engine.

.... Was the 826 basicly an 856 with the D360 motor?....

The 826 has a 358, not a 360. I know it's only a 2 c.i. difference but they are 2 completely different engines.

...Not trying to split hairs but just wanted to clarify... The 360 wasn't used until the '66 series.

-FT

<edit>

LOL... I guess IH Forever and I were on the same page on that one! ...Even posted at the same time! :D

-FT

I believe you disc is a 500 or 501. The hitch is alot heavier than a 480 and the "collars" between the blades are also heavier. That thing should really get in the ground.

I believe you disc is a 500 or 501. The hitch is alot heavier than a 480 and the "collars" between the blades are also heavier. That thing should really get in the ground.

Agreed - Wish I could find one like that, myself. I need something better than the old 14' Krause to cut stalks in these old clay hills... :(

-FT

Sorry guys, I knew that also. At the time IHC was working on switching over to the 300-400 series. I was there but it was a long time ago and I was forced to go JD at the time :blush::wub: I wanted an 856 FWD that was on the lot at Polk County Farmers Coop but I was 16 and IHC credit wouldn't work with me so I was forced to go JD. The 856 was a demo, they had an 826 there also. They told me at the time what was different but I can't remember now. Either small rear end or the smaller gears (like in a 706,756?). I know the wars were on and IHC and JD both stretched what their tractors could do. I ended up with a 1970 4020FWA demo. :unsure: I tried to pull a 6-16" Oliver plow my Dad-Brother had but ended up pulling a 5-16" 550 IHC that they pulled with an 806. We plowed 8" deep in wheat stubble. I could go faster than the 1206 only because Dad said the Oliver plow did best in 4th gear. I could pull the IHC in 5th powershift in the 4020. The 4020 was a demo tractor and had been sped up 100 rpm and 1 size bigger injectors. (Those demo's were stretched). When I traded it off 2 years later it took a 4430 to replace it, a 4230 wouldn't do the job. I farmed with JD but the IHC 06 and 56 series are my favorites behind the H. After an injury to my left hand and shoulder the 40 series JD worked better for me than the 86 series IHC, Sorry :wub:. Just asking questions trying to remember, Thanks for keeping me straight, everyone....James

I'd guess the rear end is likely the same (or darn close to it) as a 706-56. They all three take the same mounting brackets for a 234 picker, while the 806-1456 brackets are a separate kit.

A 706 rear end was certainly overbuilt for a D282- putting another 15 hp ahead of it was a good way to stretch the tooling costs over more tractors without risking unusual amounts of mechanical troubles.

.... Was the 826 basicly an 856 with the D360 motor?....

The 826 has a 358, not a 360. I know it's only a 2 c.i. difference but they are 2 completely different engines.

...Not trying to split hairs but just wanted to clarify... The 360 wasn't used until the '66 series.

-FT

<edit>

LOL... I guess IH Forever and I were on the same page on that one! ...Even posted at the same time! :D

-FT

Great minds think alike Tom.

I was thinking that disk might be a 480 but you guys are probably right about the 500. It is definately heavier than my 15' 470.

I stopped by the NH dealership this evening, got there after they closed. Took a good look over the 826 seems in good order, I'll give final judgment after I drive it. I got some pic's of it maybe you guy's will see some thing I didn't. 8500 hrs on this girl, hopefully it won't need an overhaul right away. The paint looks pretty good the rear hub centers were repainted, how well to these axle clamps work, they look similar to the clamps on my 400. I have had trouble with mine since I put new tires on it several years ago. What is the black rectangular box on the right side of the eng, I think it's some kind of cooler but I did not see where the lines went. How are the shift linkages on the 26 series tractors, I have read somewhere on here about upgrades I think for the 06 series tractors, just thought I would ask about the 26's

link to pic's below

http://s868.photobucket.com/albums/ab250/cm228/826/

Looks like a straight ol' tractor-- yes, the black box is the engine oil cooler- looks to be reman, might not hurt to ask about that. I imagine it's been overhauled once before.... would like to see a water filter on there, but I gather the proper additives to the antifreeze itself is about as good for keeping the sleeve o-rings from leaking antifreeze into the oil.

I guess there is an update kit for the shift, but I have always thought a well-adjusted and maintained factory setup worked pretty well. Best thing is to not try setting speed records shifting the range transmission, especially if it seems a bit loose.

Hopefully the other guys will chime in on things I might have missed

You don't see many 826's with 8 bolt front hubs. Looks like a pretty strait tractor, what kind of money are you looking at?