Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DT361

Black & Decker valve grinder

15 posts in this topic

Picked up a valve and seat grinder set-up. didn't have a manual. wondering if anyone on here has one; has info; or first and foremost, can someone direct me to the appropriate coolant/lube for this machine.

Thx in adv

Mark

Edit;

here's a pic of the unit

post-333-1254338966_thumb.jpg

Cool little machine. How bad is the wear on rotating parts?

Ifn nobody pops up with answers I'll hit up somebody that knows this stuff all too well. Planning on experimenting with some angles?

Machine is in very good condition for being 30-ish yrs old. No play in either table slide...nice and tight on the micrometer screws....belts are good.

Tip resurfacing pivot needs a bit of attention...seems that someone didnt seat it correctly and clamped the set screw to the round instead of the flat....doesn't want to go in all the way. A little carefull burr filing should do the trick.

Came with one new angle stone, 1/2 dozen seat stones, couple stone holders, handfull of pilots, both diamond facers in fair condition. $350 and I had to drive a couple hundred to pick it up.

I've got about a dozen heads to do...

Mark

I don't know much about the Black and Decker brand, but as far as the oil, I've been using cutting and grinding oil from NAPA. Trying to find anyone in this county that knew anything about valve and seat grinders is like pulling teeth. I've got a K.O. Lee valve grinder and a Sioux seat grinder set...spent less than $200 for both sets pretty much complete and with lots of stones.

Just went and looked at my bottle of oil...it's water soluble, so if you don't stir it up every now and then it gets to stinking a little bit...the NAPA part number is 765-1526 and that is a pint bottle that you dilute quite a bit. My bottle is still half full because I didn't need to fill the grinder any more than that. Hope this helps.

Travis

$200 ...heckuva deal.

Wonder if I can get anything non-water soluble.....screw the EPA.

Thanks for the info.

Mark

hi the water soluble is all you need you need. we have a ko lee valve black and decker seat grinder from the 50s has been used alot the only problem is 20* intakes on jd 619s we marked the machine with a new valve. we used to grind all of our own heads now with all the customer tractors the head goes out for planing and setting of valve height but on all of our own stuff we still do the valves. dale

Picked up a valve and seat grinder set-up. didn't have a manual. wondering if anyone on here has one; has info; or first and foremost, can someone direct me to the appropriate coolant/lube for this machine.

Thx in adv

Mark

Edit;

here's a pic of the unit

post-333-1254338966_thumb.jpg

Let me check at school. I got rid of one of those a couple of years ago and I think I still have the manual.

dave

Let me check at school. I got rid of one of those a couple of years ago and I think I still have the manual.

dave

Thanks. Appreciate that.

Mark

I have a Van Dorn grinder. a local tractor dealership sold out last fall. I got the Van Dorn which was ready to run and in really tight shape, along with a black and decker seat grinder set up. there is a good bit of seat stuff but you would want to fill in the blanks if you were going to use every day. I paid 100 dollars for the lot. I don't use the seat grinder as i cut seats with carbide cutters. valve grinder works terrific however. its just old as the hills

$100....even better deal than Sparky! ...you guys are startin' to make me think I overpaid! LOL

Thanks for all the input.

Mark

The shop that I worked at we used ATF in our valve grinder and it seemed to work just fine, If you guys find more of those deals let me know :blink: I am looking for one and all the ones around here sell for $400-$600 with the seat grinder and I am always up for a road trip :lol:

hi where is starbuck in mn .i will have to look but have another set of valve and seat grinder i dont know what brand it is right now but will look it is newer than our ko lee set i am in central nd

The shop that I worked at we used ATF in our valve grinder and it seemed to work just fine.

It's like putting an edge on a knife. Pretty much anything from water to 85W-90 will work, depending on the finish you want, the accuracy you want, and how much patience ya got :lol: Unless you are trying to cut in some Manleys or something, any light oil (like ATF) makes for a pretty good shine with a nicely softened surface, and you can put stuff like old tranny oil to good use.

dave

Thanks. Appreciate that.

Mark

Mark,

I do not have the black and decker manuals. I do have another set from a Sioux grinder if you are interested.

dave

Thanks t-5

One's for the Sioux probably wouldn't serve much purpose, but I sure appreciate you nosing around for me. I'll PM you if I have a change of heart.

Thanks again

Mark