Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wjeffers

IH 3200 A skid steer

29 posts in this topic

I recently acquired this skid steer. It seems to be in pretty good mechanical condition. From what I've been told, it was originally equipped with a v4 wisconsin, which went bad and the previous owner installed a flat head jeep engine. In doing so he cut out a piece of box tubing running across the back and installed a radiator. This engine runs and everything seems to work OK. He said that one of the main drive chains had a tendency to jump when you butted it up against something or really tried to push with it. So what do you guys know about these machines. I havent been able to find much. Did IH make the whole machine? Was is a payline piece or an ag product? What are the pros and cons? Etc, etc. Thanks

post-39661-1254281423_thumb.jpg

post-39661-1254281482_thumb.jpg

post-39661-1254281503_thumb.jpg

I know the 4100 series was built by Hydra-Mac in Thief River Falls, MN. I believe the unit you have also is a Hydra-Mac. Hydra-Mac is no longer around I believe they were purchased by Gehl. But not sure. Sounds like your drive chains are out of adjustment or totally streched.

:rolleyes: I`ve got a 3300 B , next size bigger . it does what I need it to do , had it for 5 years . Wisconsin V 4 , 47 horse power . Your CASE-IH parts man will laugh when you ask him about parts . So far I`ve been able to make parts and fix every thing myself . Jensales in Minnasota has all the manuals you will ever need , look them up in your computer . BE CAREFUL they want to tip over side ways when the back end comes off the ground very far. GOOD LUCK ....

:rolleyes: I`ve got a 3300 B , next size bigger . it does what I need it to do , had it for 5 years . Wisconsin V 4 , 47 horse power . Your CASE-IH parts man will laugh when you ask him about parts . So far I`ve been able to make parts and fix every thing myself . Jensales in Minnasota has all the manuals you will ever need , look them up in your computer . BE CAREFUL they want to tip over side ways when the back end comes off the ground very far. GOOD LUCK ....

Does yours have a factory rollcage? I saw a picture of one in red power a year or two ago and it had a very nice looking roll cage. I also plan on probably replacing the engine, although I probably won't go back to the v4. Any idea how much horsepower is needed to operate correctly? I'd like to at least get something small enough that I can get the radiator inside the frame so I can put the original grill back on. Also, any pics???? Thanks

Your skidder was built by Northwestern Mfg. of Eau Claire, WI. IH sold them under the industrial line.(that is why they are painted yellow) Parts for them are hard to find.

I.M.O.....open cage skidloaders are a death machine just waiting for a chance to find their next victim. If possible get a cage for it.

I.M.O.....open cage skidloaders are a death machine just waiting for a chance to find their next victim. If possible get a cage for it.

I couldn't agree more Ken.

My father and I restored one of these a few years ago. I is a nice little piece for the small task we use it for but the V4 Wisconsin engine really leaves it underpowered. I would definetly try to find a roll cab or make one as it is not the smothest ride in the world. We also installed seatbelt on ours for that reason. Parts are extreamly hard to find but most our our problems were with dry rotted hoses which can be easily fabricated.

Also, you mention that the drive chain tends to jump off. Does yours have drive chains or drive belts? The machine orrigionaly came with belts but with the new engine yours could have chains.

Best of luck to you with your new play toy.

Also, here is a picture of ours.

Thats a great job on that restoration. I figured that this unit was sold under the industrial line, but wasn't sure. IHCdude, was your rollcage a factory option. It looks like the few others I have seen.

Mine has drive chains, as I have already pulled off the inspection plates and looked around. Everything looked really good. No scalling, or signs of abuse. The teeth on the sprockets all looked pretty good as they weren't real sharp or short. Previous owner said that they just jumped/slipped at times. I don't believe they were actually coming off. I guess I'll have to get it out and use it a little and try to diagnose the problems if there are any. I definetly want to get that jeep motor out of there. Any suggestions on a power unit? I'd like to go IH or at least use something that IH used, but not the v4! How many hp would the v4 have been? Thanks guys

Did Northwestern sell these under their own brand name or were they sold as other brands as well?

wj-ihc, I assume the rollcage was a factory option because it has a IH serial number plate on it and it is listed in the parts book.

YES...Northwestern sold these same skidders with thier own label.

We had a Northwestern that we bought after IH stopped selling them. It had a 4 cyclinder perkins diesel in it. I don't know if would fit it the 3200A or not. I don't remember ever seeing or hearing of a 3200A with anything other than a V-4 Wisconsin. Norski450D

Update on my skidsteer project:

Turned out that the drive chains are fine, the problem was the cog belts that drive the hyd pumps for travel were slipping/jumping. When you're operating it, it sounds just like chains jumping, but by father was standing there eyeballing things as I was moving it around, and saw a little smoke coming from a belt as it was slipping, so that problem is solved. The previous owner was an older fellow and just assumed it was chains.

I now have a vh4d wisconsin sitting in my shop. Guy said to take it home and see if it would run, if it does and I want it, pay him, if not bring it back. Well, it runs, but smokes a little and still has a bit of a miss. I checked cylinder pressure, and it was about 85psi on all four. Seems a little on the low side. My big question is, how do I know what horsepower it is and how much hp did the original v4 in the 3200's have. I have heard 47 on a 3300??? The tag on the motor is hard to read but I got the following:

VH4D

I looked around on wisconsins website, but didnt find much.

Any opinions???

3200A had 28 HP

3200B had 30 HP

Both had the VH4D

I can't agree more....even if you can't get a cage, make one.

I looked at one a wheeler dealer friend had just picked up,It said Bucyrus Erie on the side and it had v104 ford industrial engine,previous owner told my friend he bought it new.

My father and I restored one of these a few years ago. I is a nice little piece for the small task we use it for but the V4 Wisconsin engine really leaves it underpowered. I would definetly try to find a roll cab or make one as it is not the smothest ride in the world. We also installed seatbelt on ours for that reason. Parts are extreamly hard to find but most our our problems were with dry rotted hoses which can be easily fabricated.

Also, you mention that the drive chain tends to jump off. Does yours have drive chains or drive belts? The machine orrigionaly came with belts but with the new engine yours could have chains.

I also have one of these 3200A's, have had it about 10 years now and has been sitting idle in the barn about as long as the VH4D was wore out with a spun bearing. So now I'm in the process of rebuilding/restoring the machine. I have a little under $900.00 in rebuilding the engine, ground the crank, bored the cylinders, new pistons,rings and pins, new valves, guides and springs ect.

I'm wondering about the paint, mine is International red and white with the decals still on it. I can see traces of yellow on some parts, like the engine block, some lift cylinders and the front bucket. So from looking this machine over, either it came from the factory red or someone went to a lot of trouble to make it red. Is it posible some were sold red? I'm thinking I'm going to repaint it red and white anyway as I've already painted the engine red.

One more thing, the previous owner had started to build a rops cage for for it and I definately want something on it. You had a nice side view of your machine, if you had a front and rear view of the roll cab, that would be great! I'm curious how and where it was attached to the machine. I also checked, mine has drive chains that appear to be in good condition, so it must be one of the latter ones.

Thanks for any help, Wayne

post-41027-1262063020_thumb.jpg

post-41027-1262063038_thumb.jpg

I also have one of these 3200A's, have had it about 10 years now and has been sitting idle in the barn about as long as the VH4D was wore out with a spun bearing. So now I'm in the process of rebuilding/restoring the machine. I have a little under $900.00 in rebuilding the engine, ground the crank, bored the cylinders, new pistons,rings and pins, new valves, guides and springs ect.

I'm wondering about the paint, mine is International red and white with the decals still on it. I can see traces of yellow on some parts, like the engine block, some lift cylinders and the front bucket. So from looking this machine over, either it came from the factory red or someone went to a lot of trouble to make it red. Is it posible some were sold red? I'm thinking I'm going to repaint it red and white anyway as I've already painted the engine red.

One more thing, the previous owner had started to build a rops cage for for it and I definately want something on it. You had a nice side view of your machine, if you had a front and rear view of the roll cab, that would be great! I'm curious how and where it was attached to the machine. I also checked, mine has drive chains that appear to be in good condition, so it must be one of the latter ones.

One of my IH books that I just got for Christmas as a brief section on these machines. It shows an old picture of a 3200A that was painted white and red. It says that some units were sold through ag dealers, which were painted red/white, while others were painted yellow/white and sold through construction dealers. I'm with you, given the choice I would rather have mine red/white. Good to see there are others out there that are restoring these machines. I'm in the process of trading for whats supposed to be a good v4 for mine right now.

One of my IH books that I just got for Christmas as a brief section on these machines. It shows an old picture of a 3200A that was painted white and red. It says that some units were sold through ag dealers, which were painted red/white, while others were painted yellow/white and sold through construction dealers. I'm with you, given the choice I would rather have mine red/white. Good to see there are others out there that are restoring these machines. I'm in the process of trading for whats supposed to be a good v4 for mine right now.

I hope that you're able to locate some cog belts for these. They look about like some snowmobile belts but longer. The construction dealer had a hard time finding many and they made a good effort.

I have a 3200B skidsteer and the guy that had it before me installed a 3 cyl. Deutz diesel air cooled engine. But now one of my hydr0 static drives is out. Mine also has a backhoe from the factory on it. I will try to get some pics of it this weekend.

My 3200 is red and white and is all original except for the bucket. I got it from the original owner, who bought it new in 1973. I even have the original manuals for it. By todays standards the thing is about helpless, very underpowered, and also kinda scary without a cage.

post-7536-1262095302_thumb.jpg

post-7536-1262095314_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the info fellows, red it will be. I will mainly use this for light work around the house and to clear my big driveway in the winter. I tried to win a couple VH4Ds on ebay and finally just decided to rebuild the original, now I know exactly what I've got on the inside. For the guy needing the cog belt, Brandeis Machinery and Supply Co. in Ft. Wayne ,IN (260)-489-4551, Told me they could get about anything I needed for my old Inter. 3500A backhoe and some parts for the old skidloader, and assist in finding used parts. You may already have the part #, mine is IH 534086R1 34294. Thanks again!

post-41027-1262107928_thumb.jpg

post-41027-1262107941_thumb.jpg

My 3200 is red and white and is all original except for the bucket. I got it from the original owner, who bought it new in 1973. I even have the original manuals for it. By todays standards the thing is about helpless, very underpowered, and also kinda scary without a cage.

Thanks for the info! Looks just like mine. The 2 upright post in the front, is that a handle and a mount for lights? Mine is missing. Wayne