Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hydro70

Tell me how a water inj. system on a pulling tractor works?

30 posts in this topic

Cool stuff. A couple of things to remember, the water to steam expansion rate is 1600 times, so introducing water into a high temperature, high pressure environment is likely going to have a happy coincidence of several things that help you along. The "cooling" effect of water is actually the absorption of a huge amount of energy required to super heat your introduced water that is now also under tremendous pressure from boost and turn it into vapor (steam), so you get your cooling of components from the transformation of water to a vapor, and because steam is expanding by a factor of 1600 you will get some usable pressure in some circumstances. I think that is why the airplane example worked so well, with a mix of alcohol and water added you are likely burning alcohol to convert water to steam, absorbing some additional dangerous heat from mechanical components, providing additional energy to piston or turbine from the rapid water to steam expansion, and making the thrusting flow denser in some altitudes where you might be suspect. I have zero experience with using water cooling on engines, but work a fair bit with high pressure steam systems, so I am only surmising how this works in engines. If you have ever seen a high pressure steam line rupture or opened a high pressure steam valve too quickly, you will realize that the water to steam expansion rate under pressure and then released is frightening. Great thread.

Very good surmising indeed. :)

Black smoke still means a waste no matter what, but fuel also behaves as water when boiled into steam, providing cooling and additional expansion.

Anybody running billet heads?

All kinds of Billet heads out there plus we can now get billet blocks from hypermax which is considered stock block in ntpa rules now and just listen to the green green green guys whine whine whine but yet the super diesels have a orange 1 leading the class again. I was under the impression that a few dry pro stock blocks have been comming from a certain tractor builder. And as far as component chassis go its all K&K of Edgerton WI built these days they are getting in to red 1s after building 40+ green things. I Was talking to another awsome Super stock alky tractor builder/owner/driver from wisconsin says hes working on another 1 yet to be out this season 4 turbos is all i was told. This same guy was also injecting somthing in to turbos which made them go boom last year which lucas oil outlawed in there rule book

Lots of learning here for me, after being a NTPA fan since my dad took me to my first pull when I was young enough that the only thing I knew was red was IH and green was JD.

Are many/any of the four turbo tractors running in four stages? I had heard a few years ago that most all of them were only three stages with two turbos in tandem in the second or third stage. Maybe things have changed.

Interesting about a previous poster stating that the fluttering out under load can be the result of a design flaw. I notice it way more often on the John Deere super stocks than the other brands. People used to say the IH engine design was better for the high-HP setups than the JD design. But, in recent years JD has become more successful in the single-turbo classes, like Pro Stock, and Super Farm.