Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kjohn

THE LAST ROUND

its a wonder the old machines lasted as long as they did.

Thats because they were BUILT TO LAST!!!!!!!!!!!!! not like the modern day crap that is built to last 3 years and explode.

This old C series IH truck sits on a farm not far away. Parked there many years ago and gradually surrounded by poplars that grew up over time. Needs to be rescued by somebody.

Cseriesatauction.jpg

This old mosquito killer has made its last round. Sits at the west end of Estevan, SK, on Hwy 39, as part of an exhibit of coal mining equipment. Wouldn't it be great to see her dragging a good heavy cut of dirty old coal hoppers?

post-202-1266817738_thumb.jpg

This has set outside a local repair shop for the last 4 or 5 years. I don't think it is going anywhere under its own power any time soon.

post-2813-1266850958_thumb.jpg

A rare bird these days. We used to call them panel trucks. They were once quite common in Saskatchewan, used as delivery trucks and contractors' trucks.

post-202-1266852715_thumb.jpg

A rare bird these days. We used to call them panel trucks. They were once quite common in Saskatchewan, used as delivery trucks and contractors' trucks.

I like those old panel trucks. They were built on a true truck chassis unlike the station wagons that were just a car with extra carrying space and a back door. Would that Chevy be known as a Suburban back in the early sixties? Panel trucks were sometimes used as a school bus. I remember one local driver had an A series Travelall as a school bus for a while.

Even though this old Case model D industrial has been parked in the long grass I think it might be good for another round or two. Coming up for auction here this spring.

post-90-1266858752_thumb.jpg

Not sure about the term Surburban, but you could get a Carryall, which was similar. In the Air Force we had a '72 with 4wd and three bench seats. It got used for everything, mainly for supply trips. Nellis AFB was 175 miles one way so it saw a lot of miles. Last I knew of, (in ~1981) it had somewhere around 1.3 million miles. Needless to say a lot of parts had been replaced. Several times. I'm sure it went to the target range a long time ago.

I like those old panel trucks. They were built on a true truck chassis unlike the station wagons that were just a car with extra carrying space and a back door. Would that Chevy be known as a Suburban back in the early sixties? Panel trucks were sometimes used as a school bus. I remember one local driver had an A series Travelall as a school bus for a while.

Hey Ralph, I rode to High School in a Panel truck converted to a school bus by putting bench seats on both sides.

Guess I must be older than I thought LOL.

They werent only used in SK.

Ray

From road maintenance to farm life - now retired.

mike

post-12-1266990009_thumb.jpgpost-12-1266990038_thumb.jpg

M_M

That dozer lash up is very close to the Baker Trail Blazer that was used on the old A_C M's See what you mean about them bullitproof pads. Glad to hear you are getting some shop time in again

The old IH pick up is a 35 or 36 My first pick up looked exactly like that one with exception mine had 375 hp 396Chev for power. If it had hyd brakes it is 36 or newer before that they were mechanical

Loadstar: A "D" Case Industrial has got to be a rare bird in these parts. In my day I saw a couple of Oliver 88's, an Oliver 80, an I-9 IH, and some smaller Massey Industrials, but I haven't seen or heard of a D Industrial. Wow!!

Here's a couple of old No. 12's that won't be going anywhere soon.

post-202-1267765901_thumb.jpg

post-202-1267798026_thumb.jpg

post-202-1267798084_thumb.jpg

Loadstar: A "D" Case Industrial has got to be a rare bird in these parts. In my day I saw a couple of Oliver 88's, an Oliver 80, an I-9 IH, and some smaller Massey Industrials, but I haven't seen or heard of a D Industrial. Wow!!

Here's a couple of old No. 12's that won't be going anywhere soon.

Kjohn, the grader on the left looks like it could be back on the road again (with a little work) :lol:

I guess I should go to that auction and see how the Case DI sells but unfortunately I could be pretty busy farming by that time. Heres another last rounder from the same part of the country, Case model C. Cleaned up with a little air in the tires it might just be good for a few more rounds. :rolleyes:

post-90-1267803397_thumb.jpg

Hi All,

My wife took these pics, would have posted them here sooner, but forgot about them. These were all taken New Year's Eve this year. It was about -40 degrees C when we went on our little road trip. All were taken with in 20 miles of home.

Best

Ken

DSC_0595.jpg

DSC_0597.jpg

DSC_0598.jpg

DSC_0604.jpg

DSC_0606.jpg

DSC_0652.jpg

Hi All,

My wife took these pics, would have posted them here sooner, but forgot about them. These were all taken New Year's Eve this year. It was about -40 degrees C when we went on our little road trip. All were taken with in 20 miles of home.

Best

Ken

Thank your wife for braving the -40 temps Ken. Those are great . Looks like maybe a KB tandem IH truck underneath the snow. The airplane tires on that Cockshutt look similar to my Uncles old 132 Cockshutt but I think this one is the newer 427-428 series. Looks like the Massey has been a "parts donor" as I see the hopper is missing. At a wild guess maybe a 27?

Hmmm.... it seems that the "last rounders" have been shuffled a side. Well, here's one that hasn't been on the road for a while. A couple of years ago, my deceased buddy Dennis took me to a place near Abbotsford, BC, where a fellow had a huge amount of restored vehicles. He also had a "Willys Garage" complete with parts on the shelves, a front end, a garage with Willys in various stages of repair and disrepair. Until that day, I wasn't even aware that Willys had made full-size cars.

This spring, when I was harrowing on the Sakimay First Nation, lo and behold, I run across one "in the wild"!!

post-202-127682880129_thumb.jpg

Until that day, I wasn't even aware that Willys had made full-size cars.

This spring, when I was harrowing on the Sakimay First Nation, lo and behold, I run across one "in the wild"!!

Kjohn, nice pic of that old Willys. They were not real common around here. First place I recall seeing one was on the cover of Rod and Custom magazine in 1967 when they showed one similar to that in your picture. All hopped up into a quarter mile drag racer.

That tree growing up through the car is classic. wink.gif

Nice background too. Now thats harrowing in style. laugh.gif

This old Dodge made it's last round into the trees a good many years ago I think.

post-90-127683313324_thumb.jpg

Rather than start a new thread I dug up this old one that Kjohn started because I saw some machinery today that really belonged under a heading, "Last Round". Been a few years in the weeds for this Massey Harris 102GS Junior.

post-90-128011619948_thumb.jpg

Rather than start a new thread I dug up this old one that Kjohn started because I saw some machinery today that really belonged under a heading, "Last Round". Been a few years in the weeds for this Massey Harris 102GS Junior.

Ralph,

Very fitting, since KJohn has made his last round as well. What a wealth of knowledge that man was. I had some conversations with him, besides here on the board and he REALLY knew the old IHC and McCormick-Deering stuff that I wanted to sound like I knew.

I'm hoping I haven't already posted this picture here somewhere? It was a Russell steam engine that could probably be excavated out and run again, but I'll bet it rusted away underground.

Gary ;)

post-5643-0-91886900-1328200399_thumb.jp

I'm hoping I haven't already posted this picture here somewhere? It was a Russell steam engine that could probably be excavated out and run again, but I'll bet it rusted away underground.

Gary ;)

Gary, that old Russel is likely being restored as we speak.

Although I have not seen any sign of Kjohn posting here in quite a while I assumed he is alive and well. You are probably mistaking him for John Wyeth.

Heres another retired combine. A Massey Harris Super 27.

post-90-0-61004100-1328204208_thumb.jpg

Gary ;)

Gary, that old Russel is likely being restored as we speak.

Although I have not seen any sign of Kjohn posting here in quite a while I assumed he is alive and well. You are probably mistaking him for John Wyeth.

Heres another retired combine. A Massey Harris Super 27.

You're correct Ralph... MBCat... My error, my apologies.... Sorry!