Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kjohn

THE LAST ROUND

Would it be reasonable to start a sort of never-ending thread of pics of old stuff that has obviously made it's last round? Sort of along the lines of the "Tractors on a Montana Farm" thread. Maybe a little story with the pics, if any info is available. It seems to me that what might seem commonplace or uninteresting to some may very well be unusual and interesting to others. This forum always amazes me with the stuff that shows up, especially in the Coffee Shop. I'll start things off with some pics I took today whilst on a gopher shooting and waymarking tour in the Kincaid/Mankota/Hazenmore Districts in SW Saskatchewan.

KatKincaidax.jpg

Ah jeez! Shot in the back!!

KatKincaidbx.jpg

KatKincaidcx.jpg

44 Massey, great to steer with a bucket full!!

44Masseyax.jpg

44Masseybx.jpg

Looks like that loader did the "Twist"!

Thanks for the pictures , it's always interesting to see the old machines that are sitting around the countryside .

What's the old car next to the truck?

I have lots of pictures of things that have "made their last round". Maybe I should start with a picture of myself, but I suspect you have in mind things made of old iron with gears and chains and such. I love gear and chain drives, especially the wide open ones.

This old beauty has been sitting out on the edge of a canyon around here for at least 50 years that I can account for. It's missing a few cannibalized parts, like the grain tank, but is otherwise a true monument to a bygone era. It's a model W Case hillside combine, perhaps the first of that type that Case made. My dad owned one before my time, as did many early Palouse area farmers. I heard that it's owner used to pull it around slopes bordering steep canyon breaks with a little TD-6 crawler. Good for a few thrills when trying to make downhill turns.

post-6771-1247962456_thumb.jpg

post-6771-1247962509_thumb.jpg

post-6771-1247962550_thumb.jpg

Amazing what they did with cast iron and grease fittings. This is all part of the leveling mechanism, driven along with other things by a small four cylinder engine and a flat belt. Nowadays it would be accomplished with a slender high pressure cylinder and a black box with a microchip.

post-6771-1247963703_thumb.jpg

post-6771-1247963734_thumb.jpg

post-6771-1247963756_thumb.jpg

First of all, thank you Palouse. Neat old machine!! The car is a 57 Mopar, either Dodge or Plymouth, as I think the 58's had dual headlamps. Maybe some of the Mopar boys can chime in here. My memory of Chrysler products is a bit fuzzy. There were so many stinging nettles I couldn't get a better pic. Here's what I did get:

57Moparax.jpg

57Moparbx.jpg

57Moparcx.jpg

Here's another heavy duty unit. The Wisconsin engine was the source of many a sound cursing on our farm. Dad bought an old second hand Grain Saver self-propelled swather with one. Whew! I never knew my Dad could swear with such feeling! I found out when it was swathing time! :P :P

JDswatherax.jpg

JDswatherbx.jpg

JDswathercx.jpg

Here's another heavy duty unit. The Wisconsin engine was the source of many a sound cursing on our farm. Dad bought an old second hand Grain Saver self-propelled swather with one. Whew! I never knew my Dad could swear with such feeling! I found out when it was swathing time! :P :P

Great idea Kjohn. And theres certainly no shortage of that kind of material in Sask.

Looks like a KB IH truck in your picture. I"d agree on the 57 Dodge. It had the opening for quad lights but they didn't come in til 58. I've got a good old shot of a 59 Viscount. Don't see many of those Dodges.

The 200A JD swather in your last picture is very familiar. Never owned one but there were a bunch of them in this area, mostly 14 footers. Not a great swather but as good as any offered at the time. That wisconsin engine was sure popular in a lot of applications. My Dad had similar experience to yours with the Wisconsin on his Case Model A combine. Enough to make a preacher swear. :unsure:

Heres a recent pic I took of a combine that probably made its last round a good many years ago. I'm guessing a 127 IH.

post-90-1247976800_thumb.jpg

I know this looks like a painting, but it is an honest-to-goodness roadside attraction, approx. 16 km east of Vanguard, SK on Hwy 43. I will post more pics of this setup as time goes on:

Roadsideattractionax.jpg

This was one of the "artifacts" in the display. As was common on a lot of those Cockshutt/Co-op combine models, one drive wheel tire was a standard ply diamond tread, the other was a 12 ply airplane tire on a welded rim, plain rib.

Co-op428ax.jpg

This was jammed behind the seat, aka the gas tank. You needed to be careful just where you were butting your stogies when operating one of these machines!!

Beltdressingx.jpg

This old truck made it's last trip in from the field a while ago, for sure:

Chevtruckax-1.jpg

Chevtruckbx.jpg

Chevtruckcx.jpg

I doubt if there is a "next run" for this old truck. Sometimes known as a "Boot" by the old-time truck drivers. Canadian Pacific had some of these back in the day. CP had a love affair with Cornbinder trucks, it seems.

BootIHax.jpg

Give her a bit of a tune-up, a headlight, and this old Ford would head right out into the field for a good jag of wheat from a 21 Massey combine. Right across the road from the Wood Mountain Cemetery.

Fordtruckax.jpg

Now, this one may need a bit more shop time before it hits the road again. Wood Mountain, SK.

truckcx.jpg

Give her a bit of a tune-up, a headlight, and this old Ford would head right out into the field for a good jag of wheat from a 21 Massey combine. Right across the road from the Wood Mountain Cemetery.

Good old Ford!. Somewhere in the 42 to 47 body style. Exactly like the one I learned to drive on. And I wonder if you looked under that grain box you would see there is no hoist of any kind. Just a slide gate at the back to let the grain out and a pair of strong arms on a shovel to get it there. Thats how my Dad''s was. He worked awful hard for that 99 cent a bushel wheat in those days.

Moving to semi-modern times, here are the pair of JD 95s parked on what was my Uncle's farm. A highboy roundback and the newer square back on the right. The poplar trees growing up around them indicate these machines made their last round a good many years ago.

post-90-1248141524_thumb.jpg

Loadstar: Didn't those old Fords ever sound nice pulling away with a good load! The old Warner and a good old flathead, great combo! Those old John Deeres were good machines in their day. My Dad bought one of the first 96's to be seen in this area. It ran until you could look right through from one side to the other!! That old 96 ran so quiet. If you stood behind it, all you could hear was the fan, and of course the old 660 turbo just a hissing!

This one looks like it may have life left in it, but it hasn't moved in a while. These were sharp looking cars, and they had really nice interiors.

Chryslercarax.jpg

1954 Chev at rest against a bale. The last of the 6 volt systems, and the end of that style. 54"s had high oil pressure systems, too.

54Chevcarax.jpg

Machine and engine serial numbers from the CFE 428 previously posted.

CFEserialx.jpg

Loadstar: Didn't those old Fords ever sound nice pulling away with a good load! The old Warner and a good old flathead, great combo! Those old John Deeres were good machines in their day. My Dad bought one of the first 96's to be seen in this area. It ran until you could look right through from one side to the other!! That old 96 ran so quiet. If you stood behind it, all you could hear was the fan, and of course the old 660 turbo just a hissing!

This one looks like it may have life left in it, but it hasn't moved in a while. These were sharp looking cars, and they had really nice interiors.

Kjohn, Dad's old Ford had a real distinctive whine in second gear. As good as they sounded, I'd still like to hear one of the "big job" Fords. The ones with the Lincoln 338 flathead. Now there was some power!.

Nice Chrysler. Looks a lot like one that a school teacher of ours bought new back in 67. A nice green hardtop, maybe a Newport? It looked pretty impressive out in the school parking lot.

I 'borrowed' this pic from an auction sale as it was so unique. A WD9 with what appears to be a grain auger added onto it. I guess the dual wheels were for added stability. Looks like it has been parked for a while too.

post-90-1248148064_thumb.jpg

Looks like a "handy" unit. It does look like a good, healthy auger. If the old 9 drove it, I'll bet she would "talk" pretty nice!

This Ford was parked here some time ago. The keys are still in it. Maybe someone will come and drive it away.

Fordtruckbx.jpg

hi Ralph, the old 9 was a runner, she sold last spring for 900$, i wanted to buy her and give her the last rights, and put her out of her misery, iv never seen such a bastardized outfit, i was sacred just walking around it, and they were using it, one guy said the shoved posts under the loader to keep it up when filling a bin, a wide axel md at the same sale sold for 250$, keep them coming guys! john w

hi Ralph, the old 9 was a runner, she sold last spring for 900$, i wanted to buy her and give her the last rights, and put her out of her misery, iv never seen such a bastardized outfit, i was sacred just walking around it, and they were using it, one guy said the shoved posts under the loader to keep it up when filling a bin, a wide axel md at the same sale sold for 250$, keep them coming guys! john w

John, thanks for the update on the auction sale. I never considered the fact that someone

on the forum might have actually gone to the sale. According to my records it was at

Albertville. Here is another one that I think was at the same auction. This old A 150 series

IH looks to have hauled it's last tank of water quite some time ago judging by the grass

grown up around it.

post-90-1248189609_thumb.jpg

Hi kjohn

You may have opened a big can of things here, I have a 100 or more of these sort of hasbeens in my back 40. Here is a couple pics I took this morning, about 98 more to go. Will try this and see if it will work

A couple of 1948 REOs, the one with the grain box didn't have a hoist, and the last fuel that the tanker hauled was probably a lot cheaper than today, suprising is that it has a vacume shift two speed rear axle

John

reo02.jpg

reo01.jpg

Here we have a 1937 Huber grader with hydraulic lift and swing.

The next one is a 1947 American # 8 grader and is in running condition.

John

hubergrader.jpg

americanno8.jpg

MB Cat: You have first class treasures there. Please share them with us.

Here's a couple more jewels from Wood Mountain:

Plymouthcarax.jpg

Plymouthcarbx.jpg

Kjohn:

I'd take the DC Case in the background.

Since this is an 'International' forum, I thought I'd include this one for ya.

post-45-1248235004_thumb.jpg

The old lady who owns it is saving it for her yuppie grandaughter. Yeah, right, I know she just can't wait to get her hands on it!! :P;)

Mo