Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Earl Miller

584 International Injection Pump Timming

In need of some information!

I have been reading this form for some years (have not posted mush) and I know that there are a lots of help out there.

I have a 584 IH that has started leaking Fuel into the Engine Oil, I can make the repairs (I believe) but at this time I do not have a Manual on Timing the Injection Pump (or even if it has to be timed) before removal. I'm looking for some advice and or instructions on pulling the Pump and replacing the Shaft Seal.

Any and all advice would be appraised.

Thanks in advance.

Earl

In need of some information!

I have been reading this form for some years (have not posted mush) and I know that there are a lots of help out there.

I have a 584 IH that has started leaking Fuel into the Engine Oil, I can make the repairs (I believe) but at this time I do not have a Manual on Timing the Injection Pump (or even if it has to be timed) before removal. I'm looking for some advice and or instructions on pulling the Pump and replacing the Shaft Seal.

Any and all advice would be appraised.

Thanks in advance.

Earl

I would start with the engine manual so as to get good details on the process of removal and replacement. The manual also has a detailed description of the Bosch rotary injection pump. The CNH website has a free parts manual on line with part numbers. Every part I have required has been available at the local dealer.

Our tractor is a 464 which is a 3 cylinder Neuss but basically the same engine.

I overhauled the D-179 in 08 and went around and around on timing until I got it correct. It started and ran on the first try so I got it right with help from this web and the book.

I created a fuel injection pump and timing installation guide that I will email you if you want it. My guide is for overhaul so it assumes you have to deal with the whole gear train. The pictures will let you see whats under the front cover. The service manual pictures i got from the after market are very poor quality for first timers.

This will give you a good idea about what is involved!!!

I believe you can remove the pump without creating serious timing issues by following this procedure:

1. Remove the timing cover from the side of the injection pump.

2. Use a bright light and view into the hole uncovered so the timing wheel and pointer can be seen.

3. Rotate the engine by HAND until the pointer and #1 cylinder timing mark lines up. There is only 1 mark.

4. Remove the timing gear cover from the front engine cover.

5. Remove the nut from the FI pump shaft that holds the drive wheel to the FI pump.

a. Use a steering wheel type puller to free up the collar on the tapered shaft.

6. Leave the drive collar attached to the FI drive gear

7. Use a tubing wrenches and remove all the piping from the pump. DO NOT BEND OR KINK THE LINES.

8. Remove all linkage from the pump

9. Use a socket wrench with a long extension and remove the inner FI pump old-down nut

10. Remove the outer FI pump hold down nut.

11. The FI pump should now be free to remove.

AS YOU WORK THE PUMP OUT USE A 3/8" bolt to hold the gear in place, replace the shaft through the gear with the bolt, to keep the gears meshed for ease of reassembly.

*** IF you keep the drive gear meshed and you replace the pump with the timing marks lined up it should be fine.

Warning! The FI drive gear can not be removed unless the front cover is removed so keep it in place!!!!!!

I could have overlooked something so others can verify.

Good luck.