Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MarkOb

!@#$%^&* E10 fuel

I know this issue has been discussed before in the past but I think it needs saying again, E10 fuel is a total waste.

I have documented in our 1965 IHC Travelall, 2000 Chrysler Town and Country, and 2005 Chrysler Sebring convertible that when we use the E10, whatever the ethanol percentage is, our fuel use increases a like amount.

But the absolute worst issue is what the E10 has been doing to my yard and farm equipment.

Not only does my farm tractor use a lot more fuel using the E10 but I had to rebuild the fuel system because all of the soft parts dissolved once I started using the E10.

In addition, in preparation for the festivities last weekend I was using the weedeater around the place. I almost had to make a trip to the hospital instead because the weedeater caught on fire as I was weedeating. I am not sure exactly what went wrong since so much has been burnt and melted. My best guess is something in the fuel system dissolved allowing raw fuel to leak out onto the hot exhaust.

I suppose someone in Olympia or Salem must think this is a good way in which we can stimulate the economy. Instead of using old equipment we will need to go out and purchase new equipment.

In all of this mess, I still fail to see how in the world using 5 quarts of dino fuel to make 4 quarts of bio fuel is saving the environment while at the same time using 5 quarts of bio fuel to do the job that used to take 4 quarts of dino fuel.

I'm not going to knock you for your findings on your vehicles. Some do better then others. But running it through a weed eater??? :blink: Most people know that ethanol is a solvent and will eat up that soft plastic fuel line that they put on weed eaters as well as your soft parts in the tractor carb.

I'm not going to knock you for your findings on your vehicles. Some do better then others. But running it through a weed eater??? :blink: Most people know that ethanol is a solvent and will eat up that soft plastic fuel line that they put on weed eaters as well as your soft parts in the tractor carb.

you would have a tough time here in Minn many towns donot have a station that has anything but e-10 or e85 gasoline fuels by law must contain at least 10% alcohol unless its intended for special interest vehicles etc.the exact wording I don't remember so many stations do not have the volume to justiy it or facilities to provide real gas.

I wont disagree with your findings on milage.I have run E-10 for years in all my gas burners and never had a bit of trouble.Plus E-10 has brought a lot of money to farmers not some a$%^$#e over in the desert.

maybe im the only lucky one then. I run ethanol in my one gas pickup, and put it in ALL my gas cans. This will go into a stihl chainsaw, Husqvarna weedeater, and a Husqvarna garden tractor. The chainsaw is almost 5 years ole, the weedeater coming up on two years, and the tractor has around 185 hours on it. NEVER HAD A SINGLE ISSUE!!!

i also run it in my dirtbikes, and pretty much anything with an engeine here.

maybe im the only lucky one then. I run ethanol in my one gas pickup, and put it in ALL my gas cans. This will go into a stihl chainsaw, Husqvarna weedeater, and a Husqvarna garden tractor. The chainsaw is almost 5 years ole, the weedeater coming up on two years, and the tractor has around 185 hours on it. NEVER HAD A SINGLE ISSUE!!!

i also run it in my dirtbikes, and pretty much anything with an engeine here.

We've been running E-10 since 79 around Wisconsin. Yeah, we see some old parts dissolve, then a new kit gets put in. Good to go. How come all of a sudden the other parts of the country have problems?

It is the only thing we get andhave used it on all our gass burners. Only thing has been a gas line on a chain saw. The old tractors and trucks I have seen no differance. There must be something differant about other areas.

Good to go. How come all of a sudden the other parts of the country have problems?

I think some parts of the country are getting it for the first time. I've used it for 20+ years here in Iowa. I do remember some slight 'growing pains' in the beginning. Alcohol is eager to dissolve all the grah-doo in those old fuel tanks and deposit the residue in the fuel filter!

All in all....it's good.

I agree with you on the mileage issue, and also on the issue of whether or not it makes sense to even make and use it. As a way to prop up corn prices? Fine. As a cure to our fuel problems? Ain't gonna happen. Also, I've been using E-10 in everything since at least 95, E-10 is all you can buy in MO right now. It gets run in all the small engines, chain saws, weed eaters, etc. The only problem I have with it is that it varnishes really bad if it sets over winter.

you would have a tough time here in Minn many towns donot have a station that has anything but e-10 or e85 gasoline fuels by law must contain at least 10% alcohol unless its intended for special interest vehicles etc.the exact wording I don't remember so many stations do not have the volume to justiy it or facilities to provide real gas.

all we get around here is E10 - no regular gas left anywhere. I have already removed and re-sealed the threads on two of the sediment bowl fittings

on 2 tractors.... the fuel pump on the 68 Wheel Horse is leaking now.... and the rubber o-ring on the chain saw gas cap has swelled and been

replaced!!!! The storage life of the fuel also sucks!!!!! I have to only keep enough in the generator and other seldom used equipment to be able to run

for 5 minutes.... then always add if I need it for longer. Seems like the more I talk to others, that fuel blend has really screwed up a lot of equipment,

and created more work!!!!!! :angry:

Oh my favorite topic! :rolleyes:

What I lack in using ethanol fuel I eat in corn flakes!!!!!!!!!! :ph34r:

Anyhow I have a you all ain't gonna believe me story, I have been running Straight gas in my 04 2500HD 6.0L 4:10 rear tonneau cover for some time now and 3 weeks ago I filled er up and went on a long trip to a farm sale and on a bunch of other running around no interstate driving average speed 45-55 mph. Got home and filler er up again done the math 19 MPG!!!!!!!!!!!! Well a week later went for a long trip again huntin baby stuff mostly interstate driving 60-65 filled er up at home again 17 mpg!!!!!!!!! All times before filling up at the pumps that have 10% ethanol in them I was getting 14/15 very good week was 16. Even our worn out 98 blazer is back up to 20 mpg it was dogging behind at 16/17 on the 10% stuff.

Had no problems with plastic melting down but do know a lot of other people who did. Each their own!

Seems like the more I talk to others, that fuel blend has really screwed up a lot of equipment,

and created more work!!!!!! :angry:

The plan is working! See more jobs in manufacturing and repair.

Sorry I just had to! :lol:

Anyhow I have a you all ain't gonna believe me story, I have been running Straight gas in my 04 2500HD 6.0L 4:10 rear tonneau cover for some time now and 3 weeks ago I filled er up and went on a long trip to a farm sale and on a bunch of other running around no interstate driving average speed 45-55 mph. Got home and filler er up again done the math 19 MPG!!!!!!!!!!!! Well a week later went for a long trip again huntin baby stuff mostly interstate driving 60-65 filled er up at home again 17 mpg!!!!!!!!! All times before filling up at the pumps that have 10% ethanol in them I was getting 14/15 very good week was 16. Even our worn out 98 blazer is back up to 20 mpg it was dogging behind at 16/17 on the 10% stuff.

Had no problems with plastic melting down but do know a lot of other people who did. Each their own!

I'm Jealous, my 04 Chevy, set up the same way, does real good to get 14 on the highway. Haven't had anything but E10 in it.

I'm Jealous, my 04 Chevy, set up the same way, does real good to get 14 on the highway. Haven't had anything but E10 in it.

It really shocked me too! I was expecting 14/15 mpg that I usually get. We run the truck more on long trips because we simply do not trust the blazer and it ain't bankrupting us. Last year the truck did not move unless it needed too.

E-10 is here to stay and talk is on increasing it to E-15 or E-20 . More gas stations will have to sell it that havent in the past and balkers who havent used it will or find a electric power unit . America has been shipping way too much crude in from terrorist nations and it needs to stop . Just my opinion .

E-10 is here to stay and talk is on increasing it to E-15 or E-20 . More gas stations will have to sell it that havent in the past and balkers who havent used it will or find a electric power unit . America has been shipping way too much crude in from terrorist nations and it needs to stop . Just my opinion .

But wait ain't this all to cut global warming?!

I know oil from terrorist is not a good practice but I thought global warming was priority #1.

:wacko:

I know oil from terrorist is not a good practice but I thought global warming was priority #1.

I think buying it from foreign countries is more of a priority . Sorry to burst your Al Gore immage .

I think buying it from foreign countries is more of a priority . Sorry to burst your Al Gore immage .

Reread the very first post on this thread, which kind of lays it out.

You're using a fuel that has at MOST a 30% positive energy balance, yet, it cost you 10% mileage to use it as a 10% blend. So, you have about a 20% net positive energy balances after you burn it, maybe, at maximum. This isn't accomplishing squat in relation to not buying oil from Arabs.

If you're a powersports area (snowmobile destination town), then there is usually at least one station that has non-E fuel.

I know of at least 3 who have nonE fuel in a 5 mile radius, and one has Hi-Test at the pump (100+ octane).

We've been running E-10 since 79 around Wisconsin. Yeah, we see some old parts dissolve, then a new kit gets put in. Good to go. How come all of a sudden the other parts of the country have problems?

I agree with others-it's because they're just now getting it. Ethanol is highly detergent, and will clean out any build up of varnish and sludge in the fuel system, so don't be surprised if you need to clean sediment bowls and change filters shortly after introducing it to an older machine.

E-10 is here to stay and talk is on increasing it to E-15 or E-20 . More gas stations will have to sell it that havent in the past and balkers who havent used it will or find a electric power unit .

Or an LP weed whip-saw one the other day! Runs on those little bottles you use for the camping grill, portable torch, Coleman lanterns, etc.

You're using a fuel that has at MOST a 30% positive energy balance, yet, it cost you 10% mileage to use it as a 10% blend. So, you have about a 20% net positive energy balances after you burn it, maybe, at maximum. This isn't accomplishing squat in relation to not buying oil from Arabs.

A net 20% positive energy return is better than a flat 0% energy return.

Remember, a section of ground gets plowed one furrow at a time.

If we're smart, we'll evolve the ethanol programs away from corn to better, more productive sources like switchgrass and tropical maize.

If we're smart, we'll evolve the ethanol programs away from corn to better, more productive sources like switchgrass and tropical maize.

Which are currently a pipedream, awaiting the next big breakthrough.

If we were smart, we'd be working on miniaturized thorium reactors.

Brazil's ethanol production system is not a smoke and mirrors show.

Nuclear is where the future is at, but it's going to be a long, long time before you see nuke powered tractor.

Even if you went battery electric tractor, that's a whole new ball game....the upside is that the idea of calcium in tires and wheel weights would be old news, what with the amount of batteries you'd have on board.

Read up on tropical maize-so far, it looks a lot better than conventional corn for ethanol production- http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/...71016101454.htm

Brazil's ethanol production system is not a smoke and mirrors show.

Nuclear is where the future is at, but it's going to be a long, long time before you see nuke powered tractor.

Even if you went battery electric tractor, that's a whole new ball game....the upside is that the idea of calcium in tires and wheel weights would be old news, what with the amount of batteries you'd have on board.

Read up on tropical maize-so far, it looks a lot better than conventional corn for ethanol production- http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/...71016101454.htm

Brazil has the advantage of a huge landmass, relatively small population, and a relatively small number of cars per capita. In other words, it can get away with it.

I'll look at the tropical corn.

Cheap electricity from more nuclear could be a game changer on a lot of fronts, save a lot of NG and fuel oil, make electric cars a little more practical. But, currently, we are going the opposite way from energy independence. The boondoggles being pursued make my head hurt.

I just want a choice at the pumps! Nonethanol has not been available here until very recently and then only 30 miles away! i would run it in my small engines if it were available and use it to winterize with. E10 is fine in cars built since 95, but tough on the older ones. I also have a boat with a built in fiberglass fuel tank that it will dissolve. I also think that E10 burns hotter in my aircooled engines, but that may just be my imagination.