Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dax DeCelle

Tell me about the DT 408

I am looking at a 1999 4700 Cab and chassis with a DT 408 and an automatic trans in it. It has 188,000 miles on it and the interior is trash, but the exterior and tires look great. I am not familiar with the DT 408 and am wanting some "reviews" and HP ratings and such. Will it pull well with that motor/ trans combo? What trans is that likely to be and are they reliable? Are they thirsty engines? Etc. They want $4500 for it, which seems reasonable, but I'll bet they'd take less. It has about 10 or 12' feet of frame in the back. Looks like it had a 5th wheel. I have heard of the 360, 444, and 466, but never the 408. Thanks.

I think it was the replacement for the 360

Allison mounted the data plate on the left side of the case.

It is most probably either an AT540 or MT640 transmissionn.

Farmallfan is right it was the replacement for the 360. I understand they used the same block as the 466 ,it saved pouring to different sizes of blocks .I couldn't understand why they didn't just make a 414 instead of various different parts that they didn't already have.That being said I don't think they were made very long before they just switched to only 466's and 530's then 570's.

I think they were made at least 5 years, as our School District had 2 buses with them and they were 1993 chassis with 1994 Blue Bird bodies.

I've heard that IH used this number increase to denote an engine with a serial # AFTER a running change of some type.

If what I have heard is correct, this should be a DT 407 built AFTER some type of running change. Kind of a red flag to take the engine serial # when you head to the parts dept.

If this isn't right someone will be right along to correct it. :P

Mikem

No it was the DT408. It was first introduced in 1993. Also known as the 6.7 liter. HP ratings for this engine were 175 - 230 HP @2600rpms w/ 430-650lb/ft @ 1800rpms. Was available in the 3600, 3700, 4700, 4700lp and 4800 models.

Source: International trucks by Fred Crimson.

I do not know when they dropped the 408 line.

Also was available on 3800's

Is that the 6.7 liter that they used in Ford pick ups?

I think they were made at least 5 years, as our School District had 2 buses with them and they were 1993 chassis with 1994 Blue Bird bodies.

FF, what size were those buses? 408 seems a little small for a bus but then again I'm no bus driver so don't really know. I don't know what the local district runs now but when I was in school all the buses had 444s.

I don't remember how many passengers they held, 65 maybe?? The district only had 2 of them. They just got rid of them last fall. All the others are DT466 powered. :) Forgot they do have one T444E powered bus that is a wheelchair bus.

I am looking at a 1999 4700 Cab and chassis with a DT 408 and an automatic trans in it. It has 188,000 miles on it and the interior is trash, but the exterior and tires look great. I am not familiar with the DT 408 and am wanting some "reviews" and HP ratings and such. Will it pull well with that motor/ trans combo? What trans is that likely to be and are they reliable? Are they thirsty engines? Etc. They want $4500 for it, which seems reasonable, but I'll bet they'd take less. It has about 10 or 12' feet of frame in the back. Looks like it had a 5th wheel. I have heard of the 360, 444, and 466, but never the 408. Thanks.

...we had two ex Florida school buses with that 408 engine therein.....the bus'es were the same size as the 444 power stroke powered ones....the black fella's "driving " the bus'es could not seem to harm them...(I speak now of the drive trains.....) this I guess because of the Allison auto's , because any stick shift vehicle died an agonising and premature death at the hands of these blokes...

The DT408 went very well....never gave any bother in the years I was personally involved with plant maintainence etc...I thought it would have been a great repplacement for those dreadfull bloody "Neuss 358 engines...as fitted in the Australian 4x 2 trucks....

Mike

DT408, 4.301 bore, 4.680 stroke, built from 1993-1997. They were pretty much a DT466 with a shortened up stroke. DT466 4.3005 bore, 5.35 stroke.

The State of North Carolina has a fleet of crew cab, stake body trucks and a bunch of single axle dumps with DT408's. I think they built this engine to compete with the Cat 3116, and the Cummins 5.9 in state contract fleets and local and state municipalities.

I saw a DT408 badge on a KCMO school dristict bus a few years ago, never knew they made such and engine and sure did a double take when the bus was sitting beside me at a stop light. I made a post about that on here at that time and was told the DT408 story, it was good to read about it once again as I had almost forgotten about that engine already.