Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

william griner

Case_IH Engines

21 posts in this topic

Are they Cummins,Consolidated Diesel,or Iveco?Didn't IH and Iveco collaberate on trucks and engines in the 60 and 70's?

Just bringing it back up,no comments?

My understanding of it is that they have "consolidated diesel" motors in them, and that Cummins/consolidated diesel motors are one in the same.

Cal

I think the Iveco engines are being used in the bigger combines & some of the high hp 4wd's & maybe a magnum.

Iveco in the farmalls, CDC in maxxum and magnum, all three in steigers........right???

Here's what I remember from work:

Lil DX Farmalls: No clue, but they have weird part numbers! :wacko:

JX Farmalls: 4 cylinder Iveco's, 4.5L I think.

MXM/MXU/Maxxums/Puma: 6 cylinder Iveco's, mostly 6.7L

MX Magnums: 8.3L & 9.0L CDC 24 valves

Steigers: Small frame Steigers, 9.0L CDC's, mid frame Steigers, a big OHC Iveco, Large frame Steigers QSX 15 Cummins.

JX Farmalls: 4 cylinder Iveco's, 4.5L I think.

MXM/MXU/Maxxums/Puma: 6 cylinder Iveco's, mostly 6.7L

MX Magnums: 8.3L & 9.0L CDC 24 valves

Steigers: Small frame Steigers, 9.0L CDC's, mid frame Steigers, a big OHC Iveco, Large frame Steigers QSX 15 Cummins.

So maxxum's would be Iveco/Cummins since that was a partnership right?

Depends on what model of Maxxum a guy is referring to. If its a older 51/52/MX series Maxxum, that's a tried & true 5.9L CDC. After the MXM's took over, in came the Iveco's. The 6.7L Iveco, while there's a bit of similarity to a 5.9L Cummins, I have found few, if any parts similarities. Maybe if I saw a new 6.7L Cummins, one may see more similarity. I say they are just a plain Iveco in the CaseIH's. I can be proven wrong, though.

I think a guy can pinpont some blame on McCormick International when they advertised their MTX B-power tractors. While that is also a 6.7L Iveco, they sure hyped it in the sales literature as it being a Cummins. Or atleast, to a guy who just glanced at the literature, it would. Read it carefully, and you'll see that they meant that the design of the 6.7L Iveco is somewhat based on the 5.9L Cummins. Except, I don't ever recall a 5.9L Cummins w/ all the geartrain in the back of the engine! Lots of my customers seem to think they have a Cummins in their MTX McCormick. A few were none to happy when I pointed out the Iveco tag on the block, with there being no sign whatsoever of the name Cummins anywhere on that engine. Same goes for any new Maxxum from CaseIH, IMO. There may have been some sharing in the engineering departments between Cummins/CDC/and Iveco. Atleast Cummins/CDC used a decent injection pump. The ones on the MTX McCormicks just plain suck. Gimmie an A or P Bosch any day, not that odd-duck rotary thingy.

ummm, im pretty sure i read on here where Cummins does makea a rear driven valvetrain 6.7 for everyone other than DODGE.

ummm, im pretty sure i read on here where Cummins does makea a rear driven valvetrain 6.7 for everyone other than DODGE.

It's probably the same engine marketed by CNH as the NEF engine (New Engine Family) with a Cummins tag. Cummins was part of that joint venture which has since been dissolved.

As for the injector pump complaints, that lies at the feet of the governments that write emissions laws, and Bosch, who apparently has forgotten how to built a rotary style injection pump that will stay in time and won't leak fuel on the ground.

As I have said before Iveco has to take a back seat to absolutely no one when it comes to engine design and manufacturing capability.

It's probably the same engine marketed by CNH as the NEF engine (New Engine Family) with a Cummins tag. Cummins was part of that joint venture which has since been dissolved.

As for the injector pump complaints, that lies at the feet of the governments that write emissions laws, and Bosch, who apparently has forgotten how to built a rotary style injection pump that will stay in time and won't leak fuel on the ground.

As I have said before Iveco has to take a back seat to absolutely no one when it comes to engine design and manufacturing capability.

Is the Iveco a Japanese diesel or Australian or European?

European

I talked to two guys that work at Burr Ridge engineering center this weekend, they were in my BIL's wedding party with me, they work for Fiat powertrain. One doesn't even have a little clue of what Hinsdale is or was, the other said it was pretty cool especially the old part of the building that he figured was built in the 50's. I was asking the one guy about the engines in the AG tractors and he said they were Iveco and he was a fuel systems guy. He wasn't real clear if the 6.7's were a Cummins half breed or straight up Cummins or Iveco, he did say that the 9.0l and the 6.7's were pretty darn good powerplants. Sorry for the sketchy tale but I was half in the bag by the time I realized where these two guys worked :rolleyes:

[quote name='Jason-WesternOH' post='458455' date='May

IVECO is part of FIAT,as is CIH

IVECO has a TRUCK factory in here in Australia, formerly the International Harvester (Australia) truck factory.

All the engines are imported to Australia.

Regards from Michael H

DX series Farmalls use SHIBAURA diesel engines.

DX-18E to DX-35 three cylinders

DX-40 to DX-60 four cylinders

Regards from Michael H

Depends on what model of Maxxum a guy is referring to. If its a older 51/52/MX series Maxxum, that's a tried & true 5.9L CDC. After the MXM's took over, in came the Iveco's. The 6.7L Iveco, while there's a bit of similarity to a 5.9L Cummins, I have found few, if any parts similarities. Maybe if I saw a new 6.7L Cummins, one may see more similarity. I say they are just a plain Iveco in the CaseIH's. I can be proven wrong, though.

I think a guy can pinpont some blame on McCormick International when they advertised their MTX B-power tractors. While that is also a 6.7L Iveco, they sure hyped it in the sales literature as it being a Cummins. Or atleast, to a guy who just glanced at the literature, it would. Read it carefully, and you'll see that they meant that the design of the 6.7L Iveco is somewhat based on the 5.9L Cummins. Except, I don't ever recall a 5.9L Cummins w/ all the geartrain in the back of the engine! Lots of my customers seem to think they have a Cummins in their MTX McCormick. A few were none to happy when I pointed out the Iveco tag on the block, with there being no sign whatsoever of the name Cummins anywhere on that engine. Same goes for any new Maxxum from CaseIH, IMO. There may have been some sharing in the engineering departments between Cummins/CDC/and Iveco. Atleast Cummins/CDC used a decent injection pump. The ones on the MTX McCormicks just plain suck. Gimmie an A or P Bosch any day, not that odd-duck rotary thingy.

All Cummins B series engines 4&6cyl built since 2003 ( when the common rail came out ) have a rear gear train, except dodge, never could figure out why, probably something with the contract with dodge.

NB1206 are you refering to the VP 30/44 pumps as the odd ducks?

Whatever those rear mount rotary injection pumps are that the 6.7L Iveco's use in a McCormick, like an MTX135 or MTX150. I think I recall seeing a Bosch tag on there somewhere. I dunno if thats a VP30/44, or what that is, but its different.

Whatever those rear mount rotary injection pumps are that the 6.7L Iveco's use in a McCormick, like an MTX135 or MTX150. I think I recall seeing a Bosch tag on there somewhere. I dunno if thats a VP30/44, or what that is, but its different.

Oh I wasn't thinking about ag engines when put that in there, All the work I do for cummins is on the heavy truck engs ISX & ISM, I don't get out on ag stuff much if at all. I don't know what the Iveco's are using

Matt

FWIW i hate the turbo'd shibaura in our DX 55 and the 6.7L iveco in our mccormick 135. the poochiest engines ever! our old mx 120 with the 5.9 cummins would work cirles round that 6.7. <_< our little 55 is getting the pump turned up for sure... no power at all... :angry:

Just something I read somewhere but isn't the little Iveco in the JX based off the 5.9 Cummins? I have a little JX60 here which has the 3cyl version and while I have not been around the 5.9/3.9 much it looks a bit like a knock off.

I picked up a DX25E for mowing this spring. Just for comparisons it's mowing next to a ZD21 Kubota and it definitely has more HP. FWIW if anyone ever buys one the mechanic told me to be careful filling the engine with oil. They have the intake in the valve cover. If you use a big jug of oil you can fill a cylinder with oil and "bang". I bought it from Wart EC ILL at Birkey's but it came from a different store.

Just something I read somewhere but isn't the little Iveco in the JX based off the 5.9 Cummins? I have a little JX60 here which has the 3cyl version and while I have not been around the 5.9/3.9 much it looks a bit like a knock off.

I picked up a DX25E for mowing this spring. Just for comparisons it's mowing next to a ZD21 Kubota and it definitely has more HP. FWIW if anyone ever buys one the mechanic told me to be careful filling the engine with oil. They have the intake in the valve cover. If you use a big jug of oil you can fill a cylinder with oil and "bang". I bought it from Wart EC ILL at Birkey's but it came from a different store.

How would the oil get past the valve guides? They have been putting the oil fill on valve covers since the first internal combustion engine, and this has never been an issue.

If the valve guides are loose, or the valve stem seals are gone, an engine will burn oil, when the intake valve is open and the vacuum draws oil down from the top.

If what you are saying that the engine has the intake manifold in the valve cover, it would be part of the casting, and why would they take part of the intake air from there, as it would suck the oil that is lubricating the valve train.