Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bermuda_Ken

aftermarket cabs..

In the 1960-70's both Y-A-R and Hiniker built aftermarket cabs for all colors of tractors.

Anyone know when these companies quit building cabs??

Which one was "better"??

Who built more cabs? Y-A-R built about 500K of them I know. Anyone have a number of how many Hinikers were built??

Y-A-R still has a good line of parts offered, Hiniker has some parts, but has really moved on to other things (ie snowplows).

I always remember the hiniker cab displays at the state fair. They had the cabs setting on the ground and you could walk up, open the door and crawl in and set down and enjoy the cool air coming out of the vents for awhile.

I have a hiniker from a 1466 on my 706 and my brother in law has a yar on his 656. we both painted our tractors and cab, and left the windows (white) to do later. i had both sets in my garage at the same time. i didnt measure the thicknes off the steel in the frames, but mine were all of thicker steel. wich makes for alot heaver window frame. my doors were also heavier. my windshield and rear window are taller by a few inches. neither one seems to be quieter than the other. his grab handles are stainless though. i wasnt arouind when these were new so im just going on these two examples.

nate

Hiniker cabs, IMO were better than a Year-A-Round, because the Hiniker windows were hinged on the backside of the window, instead of at the top on a Year-A-Round. Open the windows on a 1300 Hiniker, and you can flow a breeze inside. Open the windows on a Year-A-Round, and hope a breeze wafts in somehow.

Here's my 1300 Hiniker, window open!

post-1458-1239672566_thumb.jpg

we have 2 yar and one hiniker. i like the looks of the yar better dont know why just do. i like the hiniker cab MUCH better for working on the tractor in our case a 966. much easier to adjust and see the clutch linkage on the left side.

This is an example of a C600 Cozy Cab built by Custom Products in Litchfield Mn. It was their top of the line model when I worked there in '79-'80. Don't see these very often, wasn't very many built, but I thought they were very nice then and still like them now, if only I had one.

post-39588-1239788292_thumb.jpg

This is an example of a C600 Cozy Cab built by Custom Products in Litchfield Mn. It was their top of the line model when I worked there in '79-'80. Don't see these very often, wasn't very many built, but I thought they were very nice then and still like them now, if only I had one.

That looks like the cabs that came on some of the 55 series Olivers from the factory, wonder if they provided the cabs for Oliver?

The 1206 I have in my avatar has a Hiniker 900 model cab on it. I love that cab. It's easy to see from and the doors and windows seem to work just the way you want them to. It just has a comfortable feel to it in my opinion. I called Hiniker a bunch of years ago to see what parts may be around. After I explained what I was looking for they had me wait for a minute and on the phone came a nice gentleman who had been there 30 years and knew alot about cabs. I had a picture of the "old timer" stuck in the back of the plant in a dusty office that was more like a fixture than an employee but that could have been my imagination. Anyway, he gave me a good history of the Hiniker cab. I should have written it all down but I didn't. He sent me a photo copy of the parts manual for a 900 cab and I called him back and he found me most all the parts I needed. There wasn't much left available. it was whatever they had left on the shelf but he was very helpful. I do remember the 900 model weighs 900# and the 1300 model weighs 1300# and the other differences are obvious like door arm placement and mirrors and so on. Seems like he said they made Hinker and YAR just across the street from each other after somebody got upset and left one company to start the other. Not sure who left who and all that or what year Hiniker dropped the cabs. Sorry I can't give more details. Like I said I should have written it down :huh:

I worked for a fellow in the early 70's that had a JD4320 with a factory cab...roll bar and all built in. It had a 'manufactured by Hiniker for JD" sticker on it some where I believe.

......................Mark

There were also Hinson cabs which were very close to a Hiniker if I remember right. We used to have one on the 826 and it was a very happy day when it got replaced with a set of fenders.

There were also Hinson cabs which were very close to a Hiniker if I remember right. We used to have one on the 826 and it was a very happy day when it got replaced with a set of fenders.

Kind of sparked my memory with your post.....the 4320 cab was Hinson, not Hiniker...had the "H" right.

..................Mark

Yes...I personally like the Hinson-Royal cabs over any of them like the one on my 1256 in my picture. Bigger than any of the cabs, and has a similar window setup like Hiniker cabs. Hinson-Royal cabs were made in Waterloo, IA.

I've always kinda wandered this, but I haven't had the time to ask.......

I have relation that made cabs for 460's 560's 706's and 806's....possibly more....They were called "Westrum" cabs. Stratford, IA. The only one i have seen was on a 560, that had a door on the back side. Does anyone know of one or have pictures of one? I'd like to see one again.

Thanks,

Cal