Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1965Dennis

DT466 Horsepower ncrease

How much horsepower can a 466 make reliably for highway use? I was thinking of a dual turbo set-up and some pump and injector improvements. I am looking at building a hot shot type rig and using at least a double overdrive for fuel mileage and still be able to run the speed limit up hill loaded. I see several Dodges and Fords with chips and other mods and got to wondering, why not one of these?

Thanks

Dennis

From the factory the DT466 could be purchased in trucks with HP options up to 250-275 HP. If you choose to increase much more than that you will start to have some reliability issues.

How much you can increase depends on several isses.

The more you increase the HP the greater your cooling needs will become, especially on an uphill grade. Inceasing your HP 20% may require 100% increase in cooling capacity. Marine applications don't count because keel coolers have the whole ocean for heat exchange.

The ease of increase depends upon which pump you have. The electronic pump is a software upgrade. Inline mechanical pumps are easier to increase than the mechanical rotary type pump.

Depending on what transmission you have behind your DT466 will also determine how much of an increase in HP you can use. 250-275 HP is about the limit for MT-series Allison transmissions. More than that you will need the HT-series if you want reliability.

Stick shifts will be limited to the size of the clutch. Much more than the 250-275 HP range will require a larger clutch which may require a different flywheel.

If you have repowered a truck that didn't have the DT466 in it from the factory, increasing the HP can also cause driveline and chassis problems. The most signigicant would be the driveshaft may not be able to handle the increased HP and torque, particularly on a downshift while going uphill. You may also experience frame torque causing on starts and shifts causing your frame to crack or break.

Good luck.

I talked with Max at Hypermax, and he said if you do lots of the work yourself, and shop carefully, you can hit 1000hp for $10,000. Reliability? well, maybe not for everyday hauling. I'd say set your goals for 600. For which engine, look for one newer than about 89.....or a DT466C. They went until 93 when the really good one came in. Those have the P-pump like the 94-98 Dodges, and went from 93 up until 97. But....electronic "466E" came in starting in late 95. You could make big power on the 466E, but it will be really expensive, and not many have ever done it. Sled pullers have been using the mechanical 466's for years, and performance parts are really reasonable in price. The other hurdle is the drive train. Tripling the engine's torque will shred everything. You will need a HD trans, and 46k rear axle.

do you know how i could increase power safely on my 1980 tandem grain truck with a 466 with 653 auto trans

do you know how i could increase power safely on my 1980 tandem grain truck with a 466 with 653 auto trans

Your rotary pump wont add all that much more power if you mess with the fuel screw, unless it's backed way off. You can swap over to an inline pump pretty easily. The MW or A pumps(from an 84-92) will bolt in, and you would just need the pump with the gear on the front, injector lines, and injectors(or have yours modified for more pop off pressure). If you really want a lot more, you can get the adapter, gear, and a P-pump, along with the lines & injectors. How much power you want depends on how much you want to spend.

What was the P pump originally on? I've heard a lot about them but haven't really heard what they were on.

Glenn

the P-pumps came on the 93-97 466/530, 93-95 DT408, but watch out for the 466E/530E that started showing up in late 95. The official name for that version is the "NGD", even though some wrecking yards call them a 466C.

the P-pumps came on the 93-97 466/530, 93-95 DT408, but watch out for the 466E/530E that started showing up in late 95. The official name for that version is the "NGD", even though some wrecking yards call them a 466C.

do they use all the same plungers in the pump for all horsepowers? If so then the adjustments only set the pump? I read your site on turning up pumps and didn't see anything other than adjustments, just curious.

Thanks

Glenn

do they use all the same plungers in the pump for all horsepowers? If so then the adjustments only set the pump? I read your site on turning up pumps and didn't see anything other than adjustments, just curious.

Thanks

Glenn

The higher hp ratings got 11mm plungers. Mostly you'll find 10mm. Yes, you can adjust them from a paltry 170hp, up to about 250hp with just the fuel rate settings. You most certainly can swap out bigger plungers from another P-pump. I highly suggest a set of 12mm. There are very slight variations on the injectors between the hp levels, but they all can make substantial power before needing to be replaced. A good injection shop can hook you up with what you're looking for in fuel. Just a generic number, but figure on 1cc per 2hp when you ask for more fuel. So, 50 more cc should get you 100 more hp. Not an exact science, but a guideline. There's more to the metering than just the fuel rate adjustment. The factory used different pumps with the different parts to achieve those ratings. There's a lot of hidden flow in the delivery valve area.

Thanks

Glenn

The higher hp ratings got 11mm plungers. Mostly you'll find 10mm. Yes, you can adjust them from a paltry 170hp, up to about 250hp with just the fuel rate settings. You most certainly can swap out bigger plungers from another P-pump. I highly suggest a set of 12mm. There are very slight variations on the injectors between the hp levels, but they all can make substantial power before needing to be replaced. A good injection shop can hook you up with what you're looking for in fuel. Just a generic number, but figure on 1cc per 2hp when you ask for more fuel. So, 50 more cc should get you 100 more hp. Not an exact science, but a guideline. There's more to the metering than just the fuel rate adjustment. The factory used different pumps with the different parts to achieve those ratings. There's a lot of hidden flow in the delivery valve area.

Thanks