Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EastCentMOIH

706 with M&W turbo

14 posts in this topic

I looked at a 706 over the weekend with a M&W turbo on it. The tractor is in good unrestored condition and the turbo was installed from the dealer in the mid 70's. Does any one have any experience with a turbo'd 310 german diesel? The tractor runs good, but I thought I read somewhere that the german diesels weren't a good motor to put a turbo on.

I myself haven't been around one much, but my Grandpa owns a 756 that has a turbo and is running about 130hp. He had two at one time. Its always been his main workhorse and while its showing its age now with around 12,000 hours I think its always been a good tractor for him. He never complains about it and from the way he talks he has never had to do alot of major repair on it. He bought it in the early 70's I think and added the turbo and turned it up and put most of the hours on it. He put lots of hours on his tractors but didn't abuse them and kept them serviced and I guess thats why its been so good to him.The one he had previously had 15,000 hours when they sold it several years ago and from the way everyone talked, it was a pile of crap. I think it had a hard life before Grandpa bought it.

I haven't heard not to put a turbo on the german, but I do know not to put a turbo on the 282, which is the diesel that came in the earlier 706's.

A good running 310 with a turbo and a little fuel would be one running little 706!

I haven't heard not to put a turbo on the german, but I do know not to put a turbo on the 282, which is the diesel that came in the earlier 706's.

A good running 310 with a turbo and a little fuel would be one running little 706!

Why do you say not to put a turbo on the D282? I've seen a lot of 560's with the M&W turbo. I have no experience either way, just curious why you say that's a no-no.

While there are a lot of 560's & 282'd 706's out there w/ M&W turbo's on them, the hardest part can be keeping a head gasket in them, esp. if a guy pulls the tractor pretty hard! Some guys have not had a problem w/ head gasket failure, and some have had plenty.

A 310 German w/ a turbo on it is a sweet running machine. I wouldn't be afraid of it one bit.

Head gaskets blowing and heads cracking are a MAJOR problem on 282's with turbo's added, if you add a turbo to one just leave the fuel in the stock setting and hope for the best. I like the 282 unlike a lot of guys, it is just a fuel sipper and kind of a neat engine with a nice sound. The bad side is the head issues and very hard starting.

Those 310 / 358 run very nice with a turbo , I wish they all had them from new . As far as the 282 I had one with a turbo and keep the boost no higher than 30 psi and put a head on off a 301 with the head cut .020 and the old 282 will start and run great !!!!

Danny

I have a neighbor who was telling me about his turbo'd 826 he had years back (he has since basically retired from farming). He pulled over on the side of the road to watch me chopping with my 826, and when I got to the end of the field I took the courtesy to get out and talk to him. He asked me if it was turbo'd, and I said no, and he said it sure pulls that chopper across the field nice. I told him I haven't had a lick of horsepower worries with it, plowing at 6 mph and everything else. But he said his M&W'd one sure made a heck of a machine, had all the snap and balls you would want in a tractor.

I see there is an M&W kit for the Germans on eBay for 2700 or something like that. Boy I wish I had the cash. Is it even possible to find a German powerd parts tractor fitted with that setup? I have heard nothing but good things about them, and that they sound awesome with a straight pipe (after turbo).

I have a neighbor who was telling me about his turbo'd 826 he had years back (he has since basically retired from farming). He pulled over on the side of the road to watch me chopping with my 826, and when I got to the end of the field I took the courtesy to get out and talk to him. He asked me if it was turbo'd, and I said no, and he said it sure pulls that chopper across the field nice. I told him I haven't had a lick of horsepower worries with it, plowing at 6 mph and everything else. But he said his M&W'd one sure made a heck of a machine, had all the snap and balls you would want in a tractor.

I see there is an M&W kit for the Germans on eBay for 2700 or something like that. Boy I wish I had the cash. Is it even possible to find a German powerd parts tractor fitted with that setup? I have heard nothing but good things about them, and that they sound awesome with a straight pipe (after turbo).

We turboed Dad's 826 with an M&W a couple of years ago and have never regreted it. Dad won't let me put a pipe on it. He likes the quiet for planting and likes it that after we cut off the muffler a little bit that you can only see the extra filter as proof that it is turboed. It sure put some pep in the old girl. It was no pooch to start with but now she really has some guts and the govenor seems to really respond to a load. Keep an eye on ebay, they show up on there and might need a little work but will be a lot cheaper than $2700.

Wayne

Our 756 has the M&W turbo on it and i love it. Never any problems and sounds great. As for the whole 282 vs. a 310 for starting, i'll take the 282. We have a 460 and a 560 and they start better in the cold than the 756. As for turbo's on a 560, don't treat it as it was a 1486 and it'll be fine.

Also on the M&W turbos i think it was recommended that you have a pipe on it, but i don't know. I think the original kit came with the straight pipe, probably for a reason. <_<

Our 756 has the M&W turbo on it and i love it. Never any problems and sounds great. As for the whole 282 vs. a 310 for starting, i'll take the 282. We have a 460 and a 560 and they start better in the cold than the 756. As for turbo's on a 560, don't treat it as it was a 1486 and it'll be fine.

Also on the M&W turbos i think it was recommended that you have a pipe on it, but i don't know. I think the original kit came with the straight pipe, probably for a reason. <_<

I am sure you are right about M&W recommending that a pipe is used but that doesn't seem to bother Dad much. He even wants me to put the muffler back on my 806 when I get my turbo rebuilt and put on it. He doesn't like it when I put my pipe on my 1206 either, so go figure...

I am sure you are right about M&W recommending that a pipe is used but that doesn't seem to bother Dad much. He even wants me to put the muffler back on my 806 when I get my turbo rebuilt and put on it. He doesn't like it when I put my pipe on my 1206 either, so go figure...

I have an idea where your dad is coming from. When I was younger I use to love to put straight pipes on tractors & listen to them beller & watch the fire come out the end at night. NowI sit and listen to the chicadas sing day & night, spring, summer, fall & winter :( I'm not going to tell you not to run pipes, jsut if you do be sure to use some type of ear protection.

I was told they weren't all that loud with a turbo under the straight pipe... :unsure:

I was told they weren't all that loud with a turbo under the straight pipe... :unsure:

Don't know about the 358, but the D360 is very loud with a turbo under the straight pipe. I wore headphones plugged into the fender radio whenever I was working mine.