Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nebraska1206

IH Neuss engines in pulling tractors

47 posts in this topic

This is something I don't think you'll ever see here. Out of all the engines from IH, I've seen the old 282's souped up for pulling, the 361's & 407's hot rodded for pullers, the lil 300 Melrose in some hot 666's & 686's, and you can't throw a rock in the pulling world without hitting a 400 series somewhere.

But what about the German engines? Only once, did I see an ad on Pulloff.com for a "big-bore" 358 German, I believe it was in an 826 as well. I'd have loved to call him & ask how that was all done.

I can see the largest drawback being it is a small bore/long stroke engine, that can't help. That, and we're still in the stone age, so metric measurements & equivalents give us fits & make us shudder. Surely, though, someone out there has done this. I'd just be curious as to what style injection pumps were swapped on, maybe big single charger setups or multi-charger systems, you name it. Some of the tricks to get more cubes, the biggest Neuss engine you've seen, what parts were swapped internally & with what, whatever.

I'm hoping some of our European friends can chime in on this one, I know they get in to tractor pulling over there as much, if not more, than some of us do.

Lets see if this gets some wheels turning.

This is something I don't think you'll ever see here. Out of all the engines from IH, I've seen the old 282's souped up for pulling, the 361's & 407's hot rodded for pullers, the lil 300 Melrose in some hot 666's & 686's, and you can't throw a rock in the pulling world without hitting a 400 series somewhere.

But what about the German engines? Only once, did I see an ad on Pulloff.com for a "big-bore" 358 German, I believe it was in an 826 as well. I'd have loved to call him & ask how that was all done.

I can see the largest drawback being it is a small bore/long stroke engine, that can't help. That, and we're still in the stone age, so metric measurements & equivalents give us fits & make us shudder. Surely, though, someone out there has done this. I'd just be curious as to what style injection pumps were swapped on, maybe big single charger setups or multi-charger systems, you name it. Some of the tricks to get more cubes, the biggest Neuss engine you've seen, what parts were swapped internally & with what, whatever.

I'm hoping some of our European friends can chime in on this one, I know they get in to tractor pulling over there as much, if not more, than some of us do.

Lets see if this gets some wheels turning.

We do use German IH engines for pulling in Holland. The most used ones are the 358 and the 402. The 402 is the same engine only with a different crankshaft.

Here's a link of a 402 powered tractor form a couple guys out of town. They use a Bosch P pump with about 800cc and they use a Holset H3B turbocharger.

The class they run is the 3500kg ( 7100 pnd) superstport.

You are allowed to run max 7 liter ( 426 cub inch) engines, use a intercooler and the max rpm is 2700.

The have the engine running real good but now they have problems with the gearbox. THe gearbox and rear-end are off a 845 that's a 4 cilinder tractor. The main shaft is to week and twisted. Now they want to make a couple gear sets and a bigger shaft so it will hold op the hp and have more choice of speed.

When you scroll to the bottem of the page there are 2 youtube movies on the site.

http://www.forgottenboy.web-log.nl/

post-30064-1236447933_thumb.jpg

If you want to see German engines pulling, search for 1455 on youtube .There are a couple of 1455xl front wheel assists on there that are quite impressive for stock tractors :wub:B) B) . Sorry one of these days I'm going to figure out how to put up a link. :wacko: :wacko:

I've also seen a 826 pull in a hot class. I belive that he had an A pump on there and a 3lm for a turbo. I don't remember if it was an open rpm class or not but it was pretty impressive.

I watched the two videos for the Neuss IH 955, wow, that's cool! Too bad I can't read a single word on their website, I'm sure they have some cool stories about that DT402.

Pete, I'd like to see that 826 w/ the 3LM & the A pump. I'd be real curious how well that'd do. Too bad the 358 is 100+ cubes shy of everything around here, it'd work in the light 3000 RPM class if you could get a 826 light enough to pull 7700 lb.

Interesting stuff!

Here are a couple links with 402/358 engines.

This 1455 is from a friend of mine and it's stock tractor ( little more hp than factory)

This a 1455 farm stock

This is a 826 in the 7000pnd class free rpm

In my neighborhood there are two 1455's that running with dt402's in farmstock also a 1055 and 1246 (dt 358)

Sander

Local guy here farms and pulls with a 826. Don't know what he has that pump setup at, but it sounds like its turning some serious RPM's coming down the track! Originally had an M&W turbo on it but I think he has something else on it now. Had another guy tell me he was blown away when they had it on the silage blower. He said it was a monster!

In this area a German diesel powered tractor will bring more than one with a Melrose or other IH Diesel. Guys just love them, and I am one of them.

I know Jim Hildebrandt (sp?) from Dry Ridge, Kentucky runs a D310 in a 686 will the Ohio River Valley Tractor Pullers on alcohol. It runs in the 6000lb Light Limited Super Stock class and he is definitely towards the top of the class as power is concerned. As an observation, this class tends to be fairly even and it is more of a drivers class than anything. This may be some of the reason he hasnt done better than he has in the past.

I've looked at the D310 and D358 as engines for pulling and I feel they have tremendous potential. The problem is that they are suited to the limitations of very few classes that run in the US. The Light Limited Super Stock class is one of the classes where one of these engines could potentially become part of a dominant tractor with the right combination of parts and tuning.

What does a guy do to a Non turbo 826 D-358 motor for the non turbo classes to realy make them run

someone could PM I would like some more tricks on this

Thanks Lance

I'm going to run two non turbo 826's this year me and my brother.

It's fun to read the translation!!!!!

I hope you us people can read the storie by picking out the right translated words. Here's another link of a stock 1055 German IH ( 358 non turbo) It used to be my tractor but I've sold it to a local friend who is real succesfull with this setup.

(Not to good for the enviroment all that diesel smoke ha ha ha)

Never knew there were so many other Neuss fans out there. And here I was feeling lonely and forgotten! Mine is still going strong at 8300 hours. The tractor is falling apart around the engine! Very fuel efficient too and at the low annual hours I'm using this 826, I suspect I'll have it for a while yet. My first exposure to the D358 was in a boat. It was a wooden motor-sailer built in Hong Kong in the late 1960s. Had a marineized D358.

WOuld really love to see more detailed tech information on how these engine were modified. I'm considering adding a turbo to mine, not so much to make a gazillion foot-pounds of torque, but to bump the grunt a little, increase fuel economy and ease up on the smoke a bit. With 8300 hours...

Wow, you guys overseas really get those Kraut engines to roll some smoke, and they don't wanna quit! I'm gonna have to look at the video's retento posted links to tomorrow, see what we all have there.

Aside from an M&W setup, a Neuss would be easy to turbocharge, with an adapter/riser plate, you could get a turbo on that manifold, easy. Fabricate a crossover tube, and there, you're set. I'd like to adapt an A pump to one, evidently it can be done w/ a P pump. Guess I'd like to know what that all took to accomplish, but, it's done somehow.

Hmm, an 826 w/ a 3LM & an A pump..................Yeah, maybe someday...............

More.......

Picture_348.bmpFirst post here, hope I got it attached correctly. Attempting to post picture of Our 560 with 358 german. we pull 6250 and 6750lbs hot farm. specs: 358 german 3,000 rpm, a pump, hybrid holset turbo, and water injection. Will post more pictures and video as I get a chance.

Hey Matt, theres a guy around here that pulls a 686 and a 706 w/ D310. He pulls the 686 in the 6500 and 7500 pound hot stock class, and really puts on a dang good show. The 706 pulls in the the 8500 pound pro field class...last time he hooked he was still working the bugs out of it, didnt do very good. I know the guy and where the tractor is sitting at, so Ill see if I can pry something outta him, and maybe some pics too :D

Now that looks tough! Mating the A pump to the 358 must not have been too hard.

I watched the two videos for the Neuss IH 955, wow, that's cool! Too bad I can't read a single word on their website, I'm sure they have some cool stories about that DT402.

Pete, I'd like to see that 826 w/ the 3LM & the A pump. I'd be real curious how well that'd do. Too bad the 358 is 100+ cubes shy of everything around here, it'd work in the light 3000 RPM class if you could get a 826 light enough to pull 7700 lb.

Interesting stuff!

Maybe you can use the translate function in Google to read our dutch web-log?? And thanks for calling our IH 955 cool :rolleyes:

The movies are not on the first page of our web-log anymore.. so here is a direct link to one of our youtube movies..

EDIT: I'm sorry!! Did not see that the translate function allready was suggested..

post-15635-1236822322_thumb.jpg

Mark, I also think your tractor is interesting. I would actually like to communicate with you about some of the things that you have done or are doing to the engine. I finally got a video of my 560 posted on youtube. This video is of my tractor at 6750 lbs.

Hogwild, that runs great!!

We are allways willing to tell about the changes we have made to the engine.. and of course we would like to see some of the things you did tot the engine..

I will try to put some pictures on our site next week that will tell more about the things we changed to the engine.. I will try to do this in english..

and you allways can email me if you have a question or pictures to share! E-mail!!

Hogwild, that baby runs awesome, thanks for putting up that video! That German engine just sings right along, blowing a nice cloud of black! Very cool! Welcome to the forum!

Mark, good to have you here on the forum, I'm sure your knowledge on IH's, pulling, & Neuss engines will be a great asset to this site. Welcome aboard, and thanks for chiming in on this thread!

Hogwild, that runs great!!

We are allways willing to tell about the changes we have made to the engine.. and of course we would like to see some of the things you did tot the engine..

I will try to put some pictures on our site next week that will tell more about the things we changed to the engine.. I will try to do this in english..

and you allways can email me if you have a question or pictures to share! E-mail!!

Hello Mark

I didn't knew you were on Red Power also!! I thought it would be nice to let the usa guys see how you build adn run the IH 955 in Holland.

We'll keep in touch.

Cor