Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1566 JIM

HP per foot for disc

6 posts in this topic

I am looking for a disc to pull with 1566 - have found a 25 1/2 foot 496 disc was wondering what hp it would take to pull it or if it was too much for 1566?

I think you will be okay unless you want to pull it really deep. We have a 21' MF 820 disk which is comparable to a 496 and our 1066s or 1086 just play with it but we usually don't disk very deep.

I am looking for a disc to pull with 1566 - have found a 25 1/2 foot 496 disc was wondering what hp it would take to pull it or if it was too much for 1566?

You won't run out of motor, but might have trouble with traction a bit. We pull a 24' Massey disc with our 1486 and it does a pretty good job, but we run out of traction if it's muddy and in the low spots some. Not enough trouble that it's a big deal, but it is an aggravation.

IMO, you'd be happier with a 22 1/2 or 24 footer, unless you can get a really good deal on the 496.

-J

I always though the rule of thumb was 6 - 6.5 horsepower per foot. Makes our 19.5' IH 496 the perfect match for the 1206.

I always though the rule of thumb was 6 - 6.5 horsepower per foot. Makes our 19.5' IH 496 the perfect match for the 1206.

that's what we go by in MI, but i believe it's geographically specific. what works here might not hold true in your conditions.

You will be ok, it's going to be a load for it, but weighted down it should pull it nice. We have used a BS1066 turned up, weighted down, and dualed to pull a 22 1\2 #496, it did ok but jumped side to side looking for traction, you really had to steer it. If the price is right and it's nice I would go for it! All the '15's I have seen were heavy and had a lot of power.