Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IH986

Sno-Star pickup and Scout

These seem to be less known than even the Johnnie Reb. Haven't been able to find much information about this package other than it appears to have been available in 1971 only. Anybody ever seen one in person or better yet, own the real thing?

scan0031.jpg

scan0032.jpg

There were actually 2 Sno-Star scouts. The one like you have pictures and the other that was built in 1976 and looked like a Patriot with a ski rack on top. Eason

Sno-stars are elusive. Never have seen one restored or unrestored.

Sorry for the blurry pics, but this is the only one I have seen on the web.

post-980-1234469617_thumb.jpg

post-980-1234469678_thumb.jpg

Here's a photo of a Sno-Star that Mike Schmudlach recently sent me. It appears to be in relatively good condition for a 39 year old Scout that likely has seen most of its use under conditions that eat up the body.

post-425-1234495040_thumb.jpg

Eason, thanks for the info on the 2nd version. Since it was sold with a ski rack I'm guessing it wasn't marketed for plowing like the first ones?

Big Swede and Howard, thanks for the pics. Looks like the decals on the truck and the Scout differ slightly from the sales sheet I posted.

Since a large portion of the country deals with snow removal I'm surprised these Sno-Stars are so hard to come by. I wouldn't call Johnnie Rebs common by any means but there seems to be more of them out there than these trucks.

One would think quantity manufactured (?) with existing Sno-Star trucks, they could be rather rare.

I like the utility with the added strength designed in.

I think the 76 snow star was used for the 1976 US olympic ski team. Eason

I am doing an article on the Sno-Stars. The reason that the real ones look different then the ones in the brochure is that IH did not have a moulding for the Scout to match the available moulding on the truck. IH wanted the two to match so they came up with a decal. I actually found quite a bit of info on them...projected projection numbers, actual paint color, committee decisions. IH discussed doing 1972, 73 and 74 special plow scout versions.

I fyou want to see a real Sno-star make it to RPRU in Madison.

Mike

That picture is a classic example of why I didn't like the 1971.5 scout II. IH had finally styled the 71 pick-ups and scouts so the grilles looked alike. The Scout II was pretty plain looking to me. Eason

The Sno-star Scout 800B in the picture only has 16,000 miles.

Rust free and clean. In the picture it does not have the original wheels on it but the owner does have them.

Mike