Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chadbauer

field cultivator h.p. requirements

19 posts in this topic

i am looking at buying a 28' case ih 4800 field culitvator at a local auction. anyone know a rule of thumb for the amount of horsepower per foot required to pull a field cultivator. i currently run a 20' j.d. 1010 field cultivator an either a 986 or a 1486 and both pull it easily. also this 4800 is in good shape with a 5 bar tine drag on it- what's it worth? thanks in advance.

i have a 25 foot 1010 ,5088 pulls it easily .

be aware though ,the newer / better cultivators pull harder

Thanks for the input. Do the newer ones pull harder due to being heavier. I know the newer ones seem to be built heaftier than our old 1010 - I think.

CIH book says 5.5 HP/ft in heavy soils and then add for the harrow. I had a 28 ft on aMX 240 and it was a load at 6.5 mph. Very good field cultivators

A 28 footer would be a darn good load for a 1486! We use to pull a 27' Heston FC with our 1466 turning 190hp, always pulled it in L4th direct but it was a load in our soils. We now have a 25' cIH FC & it pulls alot easier. I would rather pull a smaller fc & go a little faster, now a disk on the other hand is just opposite, would rather pull a wider one & run slower. I would go with one around 25' if it were me.

thanks for the good info. I just saw that there is a 22 footer up for auction around here at the end of the week. I'll probably lean towards that one instead.

Thanks for the input. Do the newer ones pull harder due to being heavier. I know the newer ones seem to be built heaftier than our old 1010 - I think.

they do ,i quess because of the weight ,neighbor pulls a 31 ' case ih with a 7140 mfd .

thanks for the good info. I just saw that there is a 22 footer up for auction around here at the end of the week. I'll probably lean towards that one instead.

When I had my 1486 I pullled a 22' IH 4500 w mounted 3 bar spike harrow plus a 24' Furest harrow behind the f.c. That was all the 14 wanted

they do ,i quess because of the weight ,neighbor pulls a 31 ' case ih with a 7140 mfd .

Weight has part of the newer f.c.s pulling hard but stronger shank springs has a lot more to do with it IMO. Strong springs keep the shanks from pulling back so much forcing them to work deeper. We ran 32 1/2' DMI TM IIs behind a 275 hp & a 290 hp 4wd tractors & they were all the tractors wanted. Currently running a 42 1/2' DMI behind a 425hp 4wd & tractor is pretty much maxed out.

Of course soil type & working depth plays a big part in what size a f.c. a tractor will pull

The newer ones pull harder in General because the shank pressure is higher, ie, heavier springs and shanks. This is especially new on the DMI's and newer CaseIH's. We pull a 25' with a spring tine harrow and DMI Crumbler. The field cultivator by itself is a load for the 7120, or, at least it was untill we put in the new motor. The 5488 handles it good. I pulled it without the crumbler once with the 1466 and it had more than it wanted. Here, in our soils, I'd say 22-25' max for a 4800 on a 1486.

Chad.

A 28 footer would be a darn good load for a 1486! We use to pull a 27' Heston FC with our 1466 turning 190hp, always pulled it in L4th direct but it was a load in our soils. We now have a 25' cIH FC & it pulls alot easier. I would rather pull a smaller fc & go a little faster, now a disk on the other hand is just opposite, would rather pull a wider one & run slower. I would go with one around 25' if it were me.

Not to hijack the thread but I always wondered who built the Hesston FC's? Was a couple around here at one time.

Not to hijack the thread but I always wondered who built the Hesston FC's? Was a couple around here at one time.

I beleive AGCO, BUT, I think they were welling them at the time when Hesston was owned by FIAT?

I beleive AGCO, BUT, I think they were welling them at the time when Hesston was owned by FIAT?

So would they be the same as a Allis 1500 or same as a Glencoe?? I had a Glencoe at one time and seemed to be alot heavier than the Hesstons. Always wondered who built Hesstons tillage equipment.

In the Spring, I pull an 18' WHITE model 225 Field cultivator w/ an attached 5 row coil tine harrow, and also a 19' UNVERFERTH twin Rolling Harrow behind my 2 WD 7220 w/duals, on Fall plowed ground. The field cultivator has the walking tandem wheels. On Fall plowed ground, which as been moldboard plowed, or done with a soil saver, this rig is quite a load for the 7220. I pull the field cultivator / rolling harrow in 8th gear. I don't know how much more load that rolling harrow is. I bet I could go maybe a gear or 2 faster without the rolling harrow, but then that might be too fast and bumpy on the rough Fall tilled ground. Like previously mentioned above, it sure does depend on your soil type, and how deep you want to pull the field cultivator. I do know that that WHITE 225 Field cultivator is very robust and heavy in construction, as is my UNVERFERTH model 1225 rolling harrow, so that 7220 must be pulling quite a heavy load around in just weight alone, not to mention all those shanks / shovels digging into the ground, and the rolling resistance of the rolling harrow on loose ground.

Rick G.

A rolling harrow pulls a lot harder than I ever thought. We can hang our 32' DMI with a 3 bar coil harrow on a 225 horse mfwd and it pulls if fine. Hang the rolling harrow on the back and its down to 5-6 mph.

I agree with Rick also.. Depends on how deep you want to pull the thing. We just tickle the top couple of inches with both of ours. On the DMI it has a mechanical depth gauge on it and ours never moves.. I don't think we could pull it if it did. For me a field cultivator is a finishing tool. If I want to go more than 4-5" deep we'll subsoil it and actually do something to the ground other than stir the topsoil around.

Again, thats "here" and what works here might not in the rest of the world. We pull the field cultivators fast as we can. Busts up clods that way and helps to keep them out of my way when I'm planting. Our 36 foot DMI stays hooked on the STX450 and the smaller 32 foot one gets jumbled around to the Versatile or my tractor when I'm not drilling. I guess our ground is tighter, harder or something cause I can't imagine hooking a 45+ foot DMI to anything and being able to move it. We stick the mid 30 foot range as the widest we can go basically because any bigger and it would have double fold wings or be too tall to move down the highways. Anyone who's ran a DMI for a few days knows that the wheel bearings and carrier bearings aren't made heavy enough anyway, so why add a lot more weight to the plow when we can just pull them a lil faster. Replacing bearings gets old enough as it is.

So would they be the same as a Allis 1500 or same as a Glencoe?? I had a Glencoe at one time and seemed to be alot heavier than the Hesstons. Always wondered who built Hesstons tillage equipment.

I know of one Hesston disc & it is an exact duplicate of an IH 490 except that the tonque is shorter. Tonque looks the same as IH's , just shorter by 12-18"

A rolling harrow pulls a lot harder than I ever thought. We can hang our 32' DMI with a 3 bar coil harrow on a 225 horse mfwd and it pulls if fine. Hang the rolling harrow on the back and its down to 5-6 mph.

I agree with Rick also.. Depends on how deep you want to pull the thing. We just tickle the top couple of inches with both of ours. On the DMI it has a mechanical depth gauge on it and ours never moves.. I don't think we could pull it if it did. For me a field cultivator is a finishing tool. If I want to go more than 4-5" deep we'll subsoil it and actually do something to the ground other than stir the topsoil around.

Again, thats "here" and what works here might not in the rest of the world. We pull the field cultivators fast as we can. Busts up clods that way and helps to keep them out of my way when I'm planting. Our 36 foot DMI stays hooked on the STX450 and the smaller 32 foot one gets jumbled around to the Versatile or my tractor when I'm not drilling. I guess our ground is tighter, harder or something cause I can't imagine hooking a 45+ foot DMI to anything and being able to move it. We stick the mid 30 foot range as the widest we can go basically because any bigger and it would have double fold wings or be too tall to move down the highways. Anyone who's ran a DMI for a few days knows that the wheel bearings and carrier bearings aren't made heavy enough anyway, so why add a lot more weight to the plow when we can just pull them a lil faster. Replacing bearings gets old enough as it is.

I was surprised how hard our DMI crumbler pulls when we first got it. Our Versatle 4wd will pull the 42 1/2' DMI TM II with 5 bar spike harrow in M-4, approx 7.3 mph) across most of our ground at 4" deep. Hook the crumbler behind it & you have to drop to M-3 (about 6.2 mph) and will still have cheat in many places.

Dteroit, we have had 3 DMI TM IIs and never have had a wheel bearing or carrier bearing go out of one yet. Some of our fields are about 15 miles apart so they get plenty of road time. The one we have now is double fold & has gone thru 3 seasons. We have blown out a couple tires on it & you sure as heck don't want to get near a wet hole with it

Our 38.5' DMI is a little small for our 425 horse tractor, but when I hook a 42' bedspring on behind it, it's a LOAD.

We had a 22.5' 4800 several years ago, and it was perfect behind the 7120 or the 4640 Deere. We put it on the 1086 every once in a while back then, and that was pretty hard on that tractor. It would pull it fine, but would want to run warm all the time. It had the juice screw turned on it a little though...

Bill

I was surprised how hard our DMI crumbler pulls when we first got it. Our Versatle 4wd will pull the 42 1/2' DMI TM II with 5 bar spike harrow in M-4, approx 7.3 mph) across most of our ground at 4" deep. Hook the crumbler behind it & you have to drop to M-3 (about 6.2 mph) and will still have cheat in many places.

Detroit, we have had 3 DMI TM IIs and never have had a wheel bearing or carrier bearing go out of one yet. Some of our fields are about 15 miles apart so they get plenty of road time. The one we have now is double fold & has gone thru 3 seasons. We have blown out a couple tires on it & you sure as heck don't want to get near a wet hole with it

I've got a set of wheel bearings on the dash of my pickup right now for the 32 footer. We have one or 2 a year go bad on the wheels but whats really bad is the bearings in the carrier between the 2 wheels. What gets it is that it never gets rotated fully, just rocks back and forth. They are a pain to fix too. We literally keep a few sets on hand in the spring cause we know we'll need them.

I agree about staying out of wet holes with them too. My grandfather tor up both lift cylinders on the center section a few years ago.. Pulled the rods right out of the cylinder in a mud hole. The tractor was on dry ground and he raised the plow all the way up and didn't catch was was happening fast enough. The tractor never let up either!