Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jr64

Quiet Farmall muffler

My nephew wants a new muffler for his F-20 for Christmas. He's complaining about the Stanley muffler's noise level. Is there another brand of muffler that actually has good enough baffles to quiet this tractor down better? I've purchased Nelson mufflers for my AC's and they're much more mellow than the Stanleys but haven't found one to fit the F-20.

If the Stanley is too noisy then do not try the OEM duplicate muffler from Mark's Tractor's in Gillford, IL. Mark's mufflers are Great, made right from IHC blueprints and sound like tractors did back in the 1950's & 1960's, but they are louder than the Stanley's. Maybe if You got something for a later Number series tractor, 666, 966, 1066 it would be quieter, but I know everything made for the letter series, H,M, 400/450/560 is all about the same inside & out.

Man....most people put straighpipes on old FARMALL's.....Mine are made from 304 stainless steel.....I enjoy listeneing to it pushing snow at a fast idle for an hour......but if I was doing fieldwork for 10-12 hrs a day it would have a muffler from Mark's.

Man....most people put straighpipes on old FARMALL's.....Mine are made from 304 stainless steel.....I enjoy listeneing to it pushing snow at a fast idle for an hour.

Hello all , That's what they do around here :wub: . What's a muffler ? :P:lol: Boomer

The muffle that Case IH sells is quite a bit quieter than a stanley muffler. Most of the stanleys are strait through where the stock muffler from IH is blocked off forcing the exhaust to go through the baffles.

The muffle that Case IH sells is quite a bit quieter than a stanley muffler. Most of the stanleys are strait through where the stock muffler from IH is blocked off forcing the exhaust to go through the baffles.

Aren't the mufflers you buy through CIH Stanleys?

Thanks! I'll check it out. That's what he's looking for. After pulling 2-14 for three hours this summer, his ears were ringing!

Thanks! I'll check it out. That's what he's looking for. After pulling 2-14 for three hours this summer, his ears were ringing!

BT-DT.... First field work I ever did was disc about 40 acres of corn stalks with a jd R diesel & 14 ft Krause disc. My ears rang for 6 hours!

I've started wearing ear plugs when ever I play with any of my toys. I already can't hear the best and don't want to end up like my Dad. "What did you say? Talk in my other ear." :)

On the 544 we used a car "turbo" muffler, looks goofy but is guiet, low backpreasure and low profile for storing in a garage for winter generator duty.

I'm pretty sure Stanley is the only game in town for IH mufflers. That's what everyone, TSC, CaseIH dealers, online etc. sell.

However, it doesn't have to be an "F20" muffler if noise is more your concern than looks. Any muffler with the right inlet size, and something close on the outlet side, will work. Such as, a car muffler. It will look goofy, but it'll be quiet.

Just bought OEM's "period correct" H/Super H/300/350 muffler. It's a Stanley IH10 that's had the top and outlet replaced with one the correct size for an H. Makes it sound like a real beast, but it's LOUD LOUD LOUD.

I've got mufflers purchased from Carter & Gruenewald on both my SM and SH. The C&G mufflers are NOTICABLY quieter than the Tractor Supply mufflers that were on 'em before.

----

Years ago my father in law somehow managed to wind up with an extra muffler for his Buick Wildcat. About the same time a low-hanging branch knocked the muffler off his Super M. Turned out the inlet of the Buick muffler was the same as for the Super M. So he stuck the Buick muffler on the SM until he could get a replacement.

However with the car muffler in place the tractor became almost eerily quiet. Instead of the exhaust bark we now heard primarily valve clatter, live pump whine and fan noise. He liked it so much the Buick muffler stayed on the tractor. It was replaced by another when it too got knocked off a few years later.

The large oval muffler looked kinda odd perched atop the hood. But its quiet running was delightful. And it seemed to have no negative effect on the SM's power.

Just bought OEM's "period correct" H/Super H/300/350 muffler. It's a Stanley IH10 that's had the top and outlet replaced with one the correct size for an H. Makes it sound like a real beast, but it's LOUD LOUD LOUD.

MATT - Most of the running We did with the Super H when Dad was still farming was with a 460 muffler on it...same inlet dia., short length baffled area, and a 2-1/2" dia. outlet pipe. The proportions were the same as the H/SH muffler except for the 2-1/2" dia outlet.

I've also noticed that the CIH muffler is much quieter than the aftermarkets. Ken Ryan

Check out a Stanley IH 13. Same inlet size as the IH 10 but has a plug in the middle, nice deep tone and is a lot quieter on F-20, H or M.

I think you can get either Stanley or Nelson mufflers through c-IH-- at least you could a year or so ago. I would go with the Nelson if possible, I think they are quieter and we had stanleys that rotted out in short order on the M but the Nelson that's on it now has been there many years.

My dad ran mufflers on everything and I've gone to wearing earplugs as well-- people *hate* talking to me in crowded rooms already: "what now?" "say again?" "pardon me?" :huh:

The CIH muffler is much better than the stanley. It has the baffles in it like mentioned before and looks more original...to me anyway? It comes in a CIH box also and didn't cost much more...maybe in the $30 range? Well anyway look at them side by side. The CIH one is on the 560 along with the original style clamp :)

post-32-1229576998_thumb.jpg

The CIH one that I had on my H used to quiet her down pretty good, has a couple baffels in the pipe to direct the exahust through the rest of the muffler. It came off the tractor because it just didnt sound right, same with the muffler on dads H, the 856, my "other brand" crawler loader, the F-12 never had a muffler and runs an esentaily open manifold... any one seeing a theme here :P

I get ear plugs free from work so if I'm going to be running one of the tractors for a while I'll throw a pair of them in and enjoy. Although I will say the purr of a 4 or 6 cyl IH engine is a beutiful sound when compared to the pop pop pop of that 2 cyl jd crawler. After spreading 150 yards of gravel for my driveway with that it got a little obnoxious, but I loved every second of it too :rolleyes:

We run straight pipes on all the tractors besides two pickups with straight pipes . IF IT`S TO LOUD YOUR TO OLD... I`M 65 SAY WHAT.

The CIH muffler is much better than the stanley. It has the baffles in it like mentioned before and looks more original...to me anyway? It comes in a CIH box also and didn't cost much more...maybe in the $30 range? Well anyway look at them side by side. The CIH one is on the 560 along with the original style clamp :)

I've always gotten my mufflers from our CIH dealer but thought that they were just a Stanley packaged in a CNH box. The mufflers I've gotten from our CIH dealer look like the one on the left in your picture. They definately don't look like the originals. I guess I was wrong...1st time for everything. :D

Thomure sells Stanley brand. The Stanley factory is just down the street from Dave.

The repro mufflers from Marks are made from IH blueprints. The OEM modified Stanleys "look like" the old type of mufflers, but they are not even close on thier internal build.

If you want to grade mufflers based on authenticity, heres the scale:

1....N.O.S. original from someone like Weber, Berkshire or Mlnarik.

2....Factory repro by Marks Tractor or C&G.

3.....NELSON brand mufler from C-IH

4.....STANLEY brand muffler from C-IH or T.S.C.

The cost factor is exactly the same. A #1 will cost more than a #4 and outlast it too!

Guest g@m

A couple years ago when the muffler needed replaced on the 706, I grabbed a muffler that was laying around (I think it came off a Chevy dually) inlet was the right size so it slipped right on. I wish I had left it on there. God that tractor is a noisy beast. When this Stanley bites the dust, that tractor is getting an auto muffler, and I don't care what the correct police say.

Thomure sells Stanley brand. The Stanley factory is just down the street from Dave.

The repro mufflers from Marks are made from IH blueprints. The OEM modified Stanleys "look like" the old type of mufflers, but they are not even close on thier internal build.

If you want to grade mufflers based on authenticity, heres the scale:

1....N.O.S. original from someone like Weber, Berkshire or Mlnarik.

2....Factory repro by Marks Tractor or C&G.

3.....NELSON brand mufler from C-IH

4.....STANLEY brand muffler from C-IH or T.S.C.

The cost factor is exactly the same. A #1 will cost more than a #4 and outlast it too!

Ken do all dealerships carry both brands or is it their choice what type they stock? Just curious if I can specify a brand or if they would only handle one. I suppose they could order me a Nelson if they only handle Stanley's. I need to give Mark a call again and try to persuade him to make a muffler that fits my 340.

Dealers can carry either the Nelson or Stanley made mufflers. The Nelson made mufflers (built here in WI) are availible to dealers thru the parts depots at CNH. The Stanleys are ordered on a direct (drop) ship program.

The Stanley mufflers (generally) have a small hole punched in the top pipe that they use to hang the muffler from in the painting process. The Nelson brand does NOT have this hole. Stanley has a gawky decal stuck to the side of the muffler body. Nelson brand does NOT.

Here's a conversion table of the part numbers....

NELSON........................................STANLEY

360720R....fits A-B-C-100-240......SIH3

403551R....fits H &M....................SIH4

351436R......fits CUB..................SIH1

398511R.......fits 706-806............SIH14

ASK the dealer which brand they carry when you shop. They can order either the Nelson or Stanley brand.

My wife bought a muffler from Mark's for our H. It had a Stanley. It did not sound right. The new muffler sounds just the original muffler that came new on the H's. It was the only time my wife was able to surprise me at Christmas. RAY