Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

silverta16

Farmall 450 Diesel How's it Work?

26 posts in this topic

How do you start a 450 diesel? Do they start on gas and then switch over? Is there a lever or something thats switches the injector pump on? How do you work the starter tank and diesel tank fuel levers? Thanks

How do you start a 450 diesel? Do they start on gas and then switch over? Is there a lever or something thats switches the injector pump on? How do you work the starter tank and diesel tank fuel levers? Thanks

Yes, it's the last of the gas start diesels. Diesel switchover lever is on the left side of the operators position. Sounds like you should probably get an operator's manual, to help answer the next series of questions you'll have after you get it started. :D

Yes, it's the last of the gas start diesels. Diesel switchover lever is on the left side of the operators position. Sounds like you should probably get an operator's manual, to help answer the next series of questions you'll have after you get it started. :D

would you like to sell it? Im looking for one to restore. Once you get it running on gas let it warm up for about 5 min or longer if its really cold then you throw the lever and it changes over to the dielsel side and visa versa when you go to shut down..thats the important part on them engines..you HAVE to let them cool down a while on the Gas side before shutting it down..they are Notted for cracking the heads if ya dont.

you HAVE to let them cool down a while on the Gas side before shutting it down..they are Notted for cracking the heads if ya dont.

We ran 2 SMDs on pickers for years for seed corn. One was purchased from a neighbor who owned the tractor since new. And never, over the entire time we had those tractors was one EVER shut down from Diesel to Gas.

And I see no way for an engine to "cool" by running on gas...

For what it is worth...

-mike

You shut them down on gas to clean the spark plugs so they are easier to start the next time and after it is shut off you should put the lever back into the diesel position to close the starting valves this is suppose to help keep the head from cracking. so I have been told by a few old timers. So that is what I do with mine.

You shut them down on gas to clean the spark plugs so they are easier to start the next time and after it is shut off you should put the lever back into the diesel position to close the starting valves this is suppose to help keep the head from cracking. so I have been told by a few old timers. So that is what I do with mine.

not to be a smart ass but how did the sparkplugs get dirty? they have been isolated in the starting combustion chamber since the tractor was switched over to the diesel side.

argue the reasons all you want the fact is IH states in the operators manual to run it on gas before shutting off.

want proof? heres a page form my 1941 TD14 operators manual, guess thats kinda hard to read, give me a few minits to resize

heres a zoomed in version

post-3958-1228858924_thumb.jpg

post-3958-1228859289_thumb.jpg

Thanks for that info addict . I've always heard differing stories on cool down procedure on the gas starts and it's nice to see it in print from IH . One thing to consider though , there were a lot of those engines built after that and used for a long time since. Perhaps some of the ideas that seemed best at the time proved not so good in the long run. I'm not saying it's wrong just that experience is a great teacher. We ran 2 ,a SWD6TA and a Farmall 400 diesel and we never switched to gas until we were going to start them. We always let them cool on diesel.

I have been told that the cracking was sometimes caused when the tractors were run with water instead of antifreeze then drained in the fall but there are some cavities in the head where the water remained and thus froze. Don't know if this is correct or not but was told by some guys with experience with them.I think what ever works, works.

I had a 400 diesel for several years. I wish that I still hd it. Here in the cold weather country, it would start on gas, and when it warmed up a little, you opened the throttle, and tripped the lever. I converted it to an alternator, and would watch the amp gauge. When the charge picked up on the meter, that meant that it was warming up, increasing RPMs, and it was the time to go to diesel. I always shut it down by running on gas for a little while to "clean the plugs" as I was told. It had a good TA, Schwartz WFE and Char-Lynn power steering, making it a great tractor in its day.

One time I was in a junk yard, and in the office, there was a cylinder head on the floor. Looking it over, I said to the owner that is was a Farmall head. He said that it was a Russian tractor head. the Russians copied IHs design. Has anyone heard that before?

I'm laughing so hard I kin hardly type;

You start on gas so you can warm them up to run on diesel, then you run em on gas so you can cool them down after running on diesel!!!!!

I started operating and working on these engines in 1940. It was stated that you need to clean the plugs for the next start, funnnny they aren't still clean from the last start, I have done it both ways the first few years and found absolutley no difference in starting. the last 60+ years I have just cooled down on diesel then shut the diesel off. There is some of us that tend to fell that shutting down on gas is causing some of this head cracking, it is certainly not good for the starting valves. I have about 30 of these gas start diesels around here and some of them still do considerable field work from time to time. I run a 600D in the stock antique tractor pulls around here, in 9 pulls it has been beat once, I,ll hafta post a pic when I quit laughin, but if was interesting!!!!!

John

not to be a smart ass but how did the sparkplugs get dirty? they have been isolated in the starting combustion chamber since the tractor was switched over to the diesel side.

That is what I was told when I bought it I just never really thought about it till now. I guess that is just some peoples justification for shutting it down as it shows in the manual.

Hello all , I think either or any way will work on shut down as long as it involves "cool-down" time :D . IMO all the head problems come from people either working them & shutting off right away or running them out of fuel while pulling hard :( . I see people all the time driving diesels pulling into a parking spot & shutting off :angry: . Sorry it's one of my pet peeves mis-treating diesels . Boomer

Hello all , I think either or any way will work on shut down as long as it involves "cool-down" time :D . IMO all the head problems come from people either working them & shutting off right away or running them out of fuel while pulling hard :( . I see people all the time driving diesels pulling into a parking spot & shutting off :angry: . Sorry it's one of my pet peeves mis-treating diesels . Boomer

Gas or diesel doesn't make any difference. They all have piston rings and valves which are susceptable to extreme heat when the flow of cooler coolant stops when the engine is shut off. I probably go too far the other way. I've been known to idle engines around for a half hour after a good workout.

You start on gas so you can warm them up to run on diesel, then you run em on gas so you can cool them down after running on diesel!!!!!

I started operating and working on these engines in 1940. It was stated that you need to clean the plugs for the next start, funnnny they aren't still clean from the last start, I have done it both ways the first few years and found absolutley no difference in starting. the last 60+ years I have just cooled down on diesel then shut the diesel off. There is some of us that tend to fell that shutting down on gas is causing some of this head cracking, it is certainly not good for the starting valves. I have about 30 of these gas start diesels around here and some of them still do considerable field work from time to time. I run a 600D in the stock antique tractor pulls around here, in 9 pulls it has been beat once, I,ll hafta post a pic when I quit laughin, but if was interesting!!!!!

John

John, I thought I was the only one laughing. This topic comes around every time someone get a gas start diesel and I just let them do what makes them feel good. Everyone knows that a diesel burns cooler than a gas. So I'm like you why would go to the gas side to cool down the engine? I been around the gas start for 20 sum years.

Ron

I still switch my MD back to gas when I shut it down. I know some say this may not be necessary, some even say it is stupid, some even laugh at me, but I do still start it by hand, yes I know "WHY" :huh: because I enjoy it. :P

After all if you look the majority of my tractors have no other way to start. :rolleyes:

I do have to say that when I switch it back it will start very easy next time. :D

If I don't she puts up a fight to start again. :wacko:

Not sure why you find it so silly...

The warm up is from when the engine is stone cold.

The cool down is after you've been working the tractor in the field, and gotten it nice and hot with a glowy-red manifold.

Read RFPs post above

John, I thought I was the only one laughing. This topic comes around every time someone get a gas start diesel and I just let them do what makes them feel good. Everyone knows that a diesel burns cooler than a gas. So I'm like you why would go to the gas side to cool down the engine? I been around the gas start for 20 sum years.

John

would you like to sell it? Im looking for one to restore. Once you get it running on gas let it warm up for about 5 min or longer if its really cold then you throw the lever and it changes over to the dielsel side and visa versa when you go to shut down..thats the important part on them engines..you HAVE to let them cool down a while on the Gas side before shutting it down..they are Notted for cracking the heads if ya dont.

All of the instruction books instructed the operator to let them cool down on Diesel then switch to gas and shut them down then close decompression valves so they would not warp. However most operators did not let them cool down enough on Diesel Gas burns hotter than Diesel so cracked heads.

It has been proven over and over the best way is to let them cool down for a minimum of 15 minutes on Diesel then shut down on Diesel . The spark plugs are never dirty from Diesel as they are always closed when operating on Diesel.

When they are started on gas then will start right up. I worked and gave instruction when in the US ARmy Engineers, and own a completely restored 450D Any other questions 319-352-4142

i have a theory on the gas shut off.

the engine when shut off on diesel would still have some diesel in the cylinder even though it should all be gone there would liekly be some still in there. when you try to start the cold engine it would be harder to start with the diesel in there and could get the plugs dirty. if you turn it to gas before shutting down then it would clean the cylinder and make it easier to start. also some gas would likely still be in there after shut off aswell thus "priming" the engine for the next startup.

this might not be the reason, but it makes scence to me.

So Is there a lever to flip after if warms up on gas or what? I'm going to look at one tommorrow at an auction. I didn't figure anyone around here would know how to start it. What are they worth? Just a high and low figure?

So Is there a lever to flip after if warms up on gas or what? I'm going to look at one tommorrow at an auction. I didn't figure anyone around here would know how to start it. What are they worth? Just a high and low figure?

Hello again all , You're very first responder told you about the lever :D . It's on the righthand side by the headlight . A very nice 450D sold at an auction near here 2 years ago & I ran it up to $3,800 & didn't get it :( . Boomer

Lots of them get offered for sale at around $2500 to $3000 some more, some less. I see on Yoder and Frey's Tractor report that a F400 diesel sold for $1400 ,condition was supposed to be good .I wish I'd been at that sale!

Is this the one that you were asking the value of before ,the one you intended to resell?

Silverta16 ;Did you go to the sale ?What did the tractor sell for?