Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IH-Mitch

Farmall M with 4WD

This person i talked to the other day said he has a farmall M with 4 wheel drive. Did some of them come with 4WD? Is it factory? Any pictures? I also asked this question on ytmag, but i thought i would give it a try any ways.

Thanks

It's not factory but I have seen a couple of those tractors. I believe it's an Elwood setup but am not positive on that. IIRC the front axle is driven through a drop box that's attatched to the belt pulley drive.

YES ITS A ELWOOD. DOES ANY KNOW THE YEARS THEY CAME AVAIABLE? YES THE RUN OUT OF THE BELTE PULLEY HOUSING MOUNT. VERY RARE. IS IT FOR SALE? WHERE IS THIS TRACTOR LOCATED?

worthless.gif

GOOD 1

I heard they ran off the belt pulley, could you only run them in one gear then?

Ran by the teeth of fourth/5thgear slider when the slider was in the "nuetral position". Not in fourth and not in fifth. This made 1st ,2nd, and 3rd usable with front wheel drive

ed

WOW, the amount of information out their is amazing, but yet it still suprises me how much miss informatoin their is.... The drop box ran off of 4th gear in the idle position, giving you reverse through 3rd gear. Elwood was a afrer market option that was avalible for the several IH tractors for several years untill IH started to offer it as a factory option.

worthless.gif

Ok, Ok, You want pictures. I have seen pictures before but apparently I didn't down load them. So I scaned a couple of pictures from Randy Leffingwell"s "Farmall Eight Decades Of Innovation" Page 168 and 169. Take note this Elwood axle is mounted on a 1939 model. Note the seat support. first picture you can see the gear box comming off the top of the transmission case where the belt pully would be. The second shows the dropboxdown to the driveshaft. Sowe what of an odd looking duck for the vintage, but very collectable.

FarmallM4WD.jpg

FarmallM4WD2.jpg

worthless.gif

Ok, Ok, You want pictures. I have seen pictures before but apparently I didn't down load them. So I scaned a couple of pictures from Randy Leffingwell"s "Farmall Eight Decades Of Innovation" Page 168 and 169. Take note this Elwood axle is mounted on a 1939 model. Note the seat support. first picture you can see the gear box comming off the top of the transmission case where the belt pully would be. The second shows the dropboxdown to the driveshaft. Sowe what of an odd looking duck for the vintage, but very collectable.

FarmallM4WD.jpg

FarmallM4WD2.jpg

Neat and cool setup. Without some hp increase I would think it would be somewhat of a dog though.

Neat and cool setup. Without some hp increase I would think it would be somewhat of a dog though.

How about the same setup under a 560.

560withElwoodFrontAxle.jpg

WHAT OTHER MODELS DID THEY MAKE IT FOR BEFORE COLEMAN TOOK OVER? THEN IH WENT BACK TO ELWOOD. THEN IH MADE THEIR OWN.

Ran by the teeth of fourth/5thgear slider when the slider was in the "nuetral position". Not in fourth and not in fifth. This made 1st ,2nd, and 3rd usable with front wheel drive

ed

Guess I should have described it better, but the drop box bolts on the tractor where the belt pulley normally was located and it did drive from fourth/fifth slider when that gear was in the "idle" position. That gear is in the same position at "idle"as when the the tractor would be in neutral. Internally I believe the transfer had a set of gears to move power out to the side of transmission and then a chain drive to drop it down to the drive shaft level.

That design could only be used on the tractors of the era with belt pulley side drive. Therefore a 660 was the last to have it as an option. The Colemans were probably available in 1963/64 on 06 series tractors. Elwood built axles right straight through I believe, until the late 70's on there own and then became a factory option around 1978 until about 1982/83 when IH came with their own centerdrive axle.

Pretty ingenious for technology from the late 40's

ed

Man oh man could I get that thing stuck..........

LOL.....are you some of my long lost hired help?

[quote name='Chickenhauler' date='Nov 30 2008, 05:15 AM' post='412202

Man oh man could I get that thing stuck..........

LOL!great minds think alike! :lol:

If I recall correctaly, the one on the M was a doubble roller chain, the latter ones used a tripel in the drop box. As far as getting one stuck, I planted ours, on a haybine in a wet hay field. Had to use the 6788 to pull the mess out... :unsure: