Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Super A

How do you remove jib keys from a shaft?

21 posts in this topic

I am toying with the idea of harvesting a few soybeans with my 52R combine when they are ready. Right now it's set for wheat, and to slow the cylinder down enough for beans, I have to swap the pulleys around. They're held on their shafts with jib keys. Looks like that you just align the keyways on the pulley and shaft, and drive the jib key in. I don't see how in the world they stay tight, but after years of not being adjusted, they are TIGHT!!!

So, how's the best way to get em out? Heat the hub of the pulley? And when I get things swapped around, how do I get them back in to stay??

Thanks,

Al

Use a visegrip to hold them in place and tap the pulley inwards, provided it is not up against the bearing lock. On the installation you have it right, set pulley and tap key in to hold.

To remove a stubborn one I have welded something suitable to it and yanked it out with a slide hammer

i have a large antique tapered punch with flat sides that my great grandfather used. it works good on jib keys that you can get to from the side.

take a 1/2" flat bar ,cut a slot in it to fit the outsides of the key ,weld it on .

then attach your 1/2" flat bar to a slide hammer ,i hate those keys.

i have a large antique tapered punch with flat sides that my great grandfather used. it works good on jib keys that you can get to from the side.

We have a similir punch that we use to remove jib keys.

The guy that invented those things ought to be shot!! :angry:

We have a similir punch that we use to remove jib keys.

The guy that invented those things ought to be shot!! :angry:

i think a quick death like getting shot would be too easy on that guy :):):)

mabe just make him remove a few dozen of those keys :wacko:

What exactly is a Jib Key? THe only keys I know is either a half moon or square keystock. Is this something different?

Mike

New Holland makes "Gib Key Pullers" they are a punch thats tappered, half moon shaped that the farther you drive it in the more pressure it puts on it. We use them on the Balers a lot. If you want I'll dig up the part#'s and post them.

What exactly is a Jib Key? THe only keys I know is either a half moon or square keystock. Is this something different?

Mike

Well you start with a square type key, put a shallow taper on it and on the non tapered end weld on a lump.

The pully should be broached with a matching tapered keyway so it all acts like a wedge lock. Only one I deal with is on the lower shaft on a Axial Flow combine.

New Holland makes "Gib Key Pullers" they are a punch thats tappered, half moon shaped that the farther you drive it in the more pressure it puts on it. We use them on the Balers a lot. If you want I'll dig up the part#'s and post them.

i sure would like that .

i sure would like that .

Me too!

Al

yea new holland made them idk if they do anymore but there is a left punch and a right punch they changed the angle on the curve part and the last i knew they was EXSPENSIVE and dont really work all that good inless ya have someone with a channelock to hold it down in place

claas sends a GIB key puller with every chopper.after dealing with them for last ten years i'll add the best way i have found.first off dont just put your gib key puller in against the head and start hammering,you break the head off very easy.get a heavy pipe that just fits over the shaft and drive the pulley in away from the gib keys head,then use your gib key puller to remove the key.as stated before the puller is just a wedge,flat on one side a tapered on the other,so as you drive it against the key it digs into the head.if used correctly you shouldnt need channel locks or anything to hold them down.

You gotta get a pipe over the shaft so it is on the pulley and pound the pulley in. Emory cloth the back side of the shaft, and when you get it to move off the key, shine up the shaft on the way out. My pa broke a EXPENSIVE pulley on my 76 trying to pry out a gib key like a retard. I got home and had the pulley off in 10 minutes. Though by then it was in two parts. 82 combines have a couple as well, once I ran them a few times they are OK, but DEFINATELY not preferred. Some guys build pullers out of truck leaf springs, I don't really understand how they are supposed to work. As long as my pipe, mauls, emery cloth and PB blaster work I don't have to do anything special for as often as I have to mess with one. The stuck ones sure can be buggers. BEAT THAT PULLEY IN!!! Trying to pull out before you push in is a sin!!!

Trying to pull out before you push in is a sin!!!

aint that the truth..... :lol:

Here's alink with a few pics.

http://forum1.aimoo.com/The_Old_Machinery_...ickName_1456155

There is a bar that most folks have in their tool box called a "gibs bar", but they dont know that this is the purpose of that tool. It is a bar with a specific shaped hook on one end. Sometimes it will have a "button" on the back side of the hook. This is to push against the part that the gib key is holding.

I cant believe I cant find a pic of a gib's bar. :angry:

Here's a few more pieces about those famous little..................................things.

http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-vi...=100918#M100918

http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-vi...tmode=1#M487109

A "zip gun" is allmost essential for the removal of stubborn gib keys.

we are of course assuming that said gib keys have been shifted in the last couple of decades & u as mite have realised, axial flows come to aust as deck cargo, which means sea air and corrosion

just spent couple of unsucessfull days trying to remove the slip clutch on the feeder of a 1660

even went to extent of drilling the keys out, all was going resonably well untill a key galled 1/2 way out :(:(:(:(:(

oh well, the slip clutch hubs arent 2 badly priced :(

whoever came up with the bright of gib keys should staked out over a bullants nest :angry:

oz,

What's a bullant?

Mo

oz,

What's a bullant?

Mo

big bitey critter :D

larger ant that has the bite equiv to someone setting vise-grips on to your finger

Picture of a gib key puller. I think this is what you are talking about Hit & Miss Enterprises sells it 440-272-5335. They are in Orwell Ohio. Thanks Merton

post-5689-1226152986_thumb.jpg